hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought she was great and the overall programme was one of my favourites of this year's Proms. Really good balance with the Part and the Sibelius.

Interestingly, Martin Kettle in The Guardian lambasted her for being too theatrical. I'm not familiar with his commentary on the arts, only on politics. Was never impressed with him then and not impressed with him now.
    That strikes me as a very strange criticism when it's such a dramatic piece of music anyway - must be hard to play without some theatrics. Eric Morecambe tried it and everybody laughed at him.

I missed the first Part of the concert (d'ye see what I did there?) but I did enjoy the Sibelius as well.

It's Brahms and Liszt Hungarian Dances next Friday - should be fun.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Just heard Ashokan Farewell on Classic FM. They used to play it a lot, but I hadn't heard for a while.

The first time I heard I thought it must be Scottish but it was written relatively recently by an American whose name escapes me. It does have a distinctly Scottish feel to it and according to Wiki it was written in the style of a Scottish lament.

Lovely tune anyway.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Caversham Green View Post
    That strikes me as a very strange criticism when it's such a dramatic piece of music anyway - must be hard to play without some theatrics. Eric Morecambe tried it and everybody laughed at him.

I missed the first Part of the concert (d'ye see what I did there?) but I did enjoy the Sibelius as well.

It's Brahms and Liszt Hungarian Dances next Friday - should be fun.
    The Brahms and Liszt was really good. Fine performance of Brahms First, notwithstanding the very heavy Beethowbven influence and that section where he practically replicates Ode to Joy.

The break in between when they talked about Roma culture was fascinating. Also enjoyed the way the conductor explained and highlighted the gypsy instruments and style of play in the first half.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

The Brahms and Liszt was really good. Fine performance of Brahms First, notwithstanding the very heavy Beethowbven influence and that section where he practically replicates Ode to Joy.

The break in between when they talked about Roma culture was fascinating. Also enjoyed the way the conductor explained and highlighted the gypsy instruments and style of play in the first half.
    I've recorded it but haven't watched it yet so don't tell me how it ends...

Posted a separate thread about transitions, bridges and resolutions in music, but thought this deserved a post in its own right on the classical thread.

I think my favourite is probably Sibelius and the way the third movement resolves into the refrain that permeates the fourth movement. Itís not complicated, itís unashamedly populist but it is undoubtedly stirring.

Any others?
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Quote Originally Posted by Caversham Green View Post
    I've recorded it but haven't watched it yet so don't tell me how it ends...
    Miss Scarlet in the library with the dagger.

Sorry.

Miss Scarlet in the library with the dagger.

Sorry.
    Might as well delete it - no point in watching it now.

Gorecki symphony number three (symphony of sorrowful songs)
    This has played worldwide to a film backdrop of scenes from concentration camps during the war. It's about parents being separated from children and separation due to war

It's a gut wrenchingly emotional and powerful piece

I've got a book of Beethoven's letters. Turns out he had an agent in Edinburgh and several of the letters are addressed to him in York Place.
    They mainly concern publication of some Scottish Songs - not his finest work it has to be said.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    Gorecki symphony number three (symphony of sorrowful songs)
    This has played worldwide to a film backdrop of scenes from concentration camps during the war. It's about parents being separated from children and separation due to war

It's a gut wrenchingly emotional and powerful piece
    For reasons I don't understand now I didn't really like this when I first heard it but I well up every time I listen to it now. It's worth looking up on YouTube if you're in a reflective mood.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    I've got a book of Beethoven's letters. Turns out he had an agent in Edinburgh and several of the letters are addressed to him in York Place.
    They mainly concern publication of some Scottish Songs - not his finest work it has to be said.
    Yes, as much as I like Beethoven his Scottish songs don't do much for me. Mendelssohn did a better job with his Symphony No.3 and Hebrides Overture. On the subject of Mendelssohn, for anyone just getting into classical music try his violin concerto, particularly the first movement - very catchy on the first hearing.