hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Caversham Green View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you wonder what the term "Wagnerian" means ..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTM7E4-DN0o

(Play it loud!)
    I would echo that and offer up a couple of other Wagner pieces as truly epitomising what he was about.

Either the Prelude or Liebestod from 'Tristan und Isolde' pretty much encapsulates Wagner and his approach. Easily findable on most sites.

As a starter however, if you haven't heard of Wagner before, you will almost certainly have heard the "Ride of the Valkyries"

Link here and as Cav Green says, play it loud
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Your Gianni Schicchi link was one that I would have posted as befitting of a 'beautiful track'

My turn to be accused of overblown romantic guff - - I'm a sucker for 'Mi chiamano Mimi' and 'O soave fanciulla' from La Boheme and hide no shame in admitting to a fondness for 'Un bel di vedremo' from Madama Butterfly

I'm a big Puccini fan and would rather listen/see his work than Verdi, for example, notwithstanding the quality of what Verdi wrote. Tosca is outstanding and like so many of Puccini's works it tells a tale that is essentially an eternal truth and is therefore easily translatable into different settings and eras - a truly timeless story.

My favourite however is La Fanciulla Del West, sadly under-performed nowadays. Some of the duets are sublime and the mostly male arias are sumptious. It's a shame the opera isn't performed more often, I believe it was Puccini's favourite of all his compositions.
    I'm with you re Puccini - goosebumps every time I hear 'O Soave Faniculla' and I was thinking about linking 'Un Bel Di Vedremo' on my previous post. I actually think Turandot is probably his weakest opera despite having his best-known aria in it - a happy ending, what's that all about? For the last few years around Christmas time there's been an excellent performance of Tosca on the telly with Jonas Kaufmann, Bryn Terfel and Angela Gheorghiu in the lead roles. Keep an eye out if you haven't already seen it.

On your other posts, I thought there would be more mention of film music on this thread. As Sylar says the Lord of the Rings Trilogy is terrific. I'd add Ennio Morricone to his list of composers (not necessarily the spaghetti western stuff, although I quite like that too). Also the Godfather main and love themes and Dunbar's theme from Dances With Wolves (done with bagpipes here- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgZxdVJH8fc).

On Wagner, I like his music a lot, but I've never managed to watch one of his operas all the way through - they do seem rather hard work to me.