hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    First Team Breakthrough

All time favourite boxer

Who's yours? Mines has to be Lennox Lewis, partly cause I think he is one of the greatest heavyweights ever and he is also British (classes himself as that although he fought for Canada).

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    That’s a hard one, but I’m going to go for Joe Calzaghe. He fought during a golden age of super middleweight fighters, albeit at the tail end. He had everything a fighter needs to be a true champion.
    I also really admired Chris Eubank, he was as tough as they come, and had skill to match.

United we stand here....

Nameless
    Left by mutual consent!
    Felix Savon.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

They called him THE Greatest for a reason.

Floyd Mayweather.

Brash, hard to like, not a nice person but what a fighter. From blitzing his way through the lower weight categories to adapting his style and becoming one of the all time great tacticians he was phenomenal. His ability to adapt mid fight was unrivalled, his speed was frightening, he understood the science part of the sport and he was tough as they come when he had to be.

The whole transition from 'Pretty Boy Floyd' to 'Money Mayweather' probably cost him crossover appeal but it made him into the biggest star in the sport who people paid to see lose and he gladly took the money and laughed.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Really really good question, I'd probably say Nigel Benn, it was in the prime of ITV boxing and his fights V Eubank that really first got me in to boxing in the first place, hard as nails and an amazing engine, I can still remember being gutted when their second fight ended as a draw, if memory serves me right he actually got a point deducted for a low blow in that fight as well

Always really liked Calzaghe as well, one of my all time favourite fights was him against Lacy, he had all the hype and all the talk was about how he would take Calzaghe out, what happened instead was one of the most punch perfect fights I've ever seen, a total masterclass, just a shame he had problems with his hands which I feel stopped him using any real power

First Team Regular over the line's Avatar

Na what I mean Arry

Bruno for me. It just created such a buzz around the country when he fought. The pubs were full and it was on terrestrial tv, so millions watched. Not technically the best boxer obviously.

Also liked the Benn v Eubank fights too, similar buzz about them. I thought they were both great fighters, but probably slightly favoured Benn at the time.

Rocky Marciano. Hard as nails.

More recently Eubank. I think Eubank's patter counted against him with a lot if folk but he was a class fighter. I liked his showmanship and was supporting him v Benn.

Too many. Roberto Duran, Salvador Sanchez, Jose Napoles, Ray Leonard, Tommy Hearns and Mike Mcallum. All the above were technically brilliant boxers and great to watch. Love James Toney as well. He had cement feet but made up for it by being slick as fck in the pocket and he was packing one serious cast iron jaw.

Never a huge fan of Mayweather but I admire his brilliance. One of the greatest defensive boxers of all time. Up there with Pernell Whitaker, Willie Pep, Nicolino Locche, Wilfred Benitez and Miguel Canto.

Arturo Gatti

Duran & Leonard. In the flesh it's between Arguelo and Calzaghe

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Another vote for Nigel Benn. Had the pleasure of going to quite a few of his fights back in the day, including Eubank 2. Always an amazing atmosphere and such gutsy fighter. Never a dull fight. Reading some of the books on him (and by him) he knew how to party too. Maybe if he's lived the clean life he does now during his career, he'd have been a real World great.

Also loved Lennox Lewis. I was at Cardiff Arms Park when he fought Bruno. If that fight happened this weekend, it would be a full house rather than the 25000 or so that went. Lennox, pure class inside and outside of the ring.

Thomas "The Hitman" Hearns. What a great era that was!

Jim Watt. I was lucky enough to meet him in Vegas the night before Amir Khan fought Danny Garcia. A total gent but I should never have bet money based on his prediction of a Khan victory.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Jim Watt. I was lucky enough to meet him in Vegas the night before Amir Khan fought Danny Garcia. A total gent but I should never have bet money based on his prediction of a Khan victory.
    I used to love talking to Ken Buchanan about his rivalry with Watt. He used to really wind him up, but you can tell there was a lot of respect between the two. I’ve not seen Ken for a while, which hopefully means he’s off the drink.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I used to love talking to Ken Buchanan about his rivalry with Watt. He used to really wind him up, but you can tell there was a lot of respect between the two. I’ve not seen Ken for a while, which hopefully means he’s off the drink.
    I think he is doing well.

Was at an MGM event at Meadowbank last year and he was in the crowd, took a round of applause and was on the soft drinks. He also looked well at the ceremony in his honour at the City Chambers not long ago.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I think he is doing well.

Was at an MGM event at Meadowbank last year and he was in the crowd, took a round of applause and was on the soft drinks. He also looked well at the ceremony in his honour at the City Chambers not long ago.
    That’s good to hear. As much as I enjoyed his company, all that drinking wasn’t doing him any good. One of the all time Scottish greats.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Tommy Hit Man Hearns
    Roberto Duran
    Sugar Ray Leonard
    Marvin Hagler
    Barry Mcguigan
    Nigel Benn
    Chris Eubank Snr

Loved boxing when those guys were in their prime.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Tommy Hit Man Hearns
    Roberto Duran
    Sugar Ray Leonard
    Marvin Hagler
    Barry Mcguigan
    Nigel Benn
    Chris Eubank Snr

Loved boxing when those guys were in their prime.
    I agree, you could also add Steve Collins into that list. That first fight with Eubank was a classic.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    As a teenager in the 90s, Lennox Lewis and Prince Naz for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tremendous fight that.

United we stand here....

One judge had that 111-107 ****in mental

United we stand here....

I agree, you could also add Steve Collins into that list. That first fight with Eubank was a classic.
    Michael Watson was also an excellent middleweight from those days.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Mike Tyson was incredible to watch when he was at his best.

Tyson
    Benn
    Eubank

Prince Naz is my favourite due to seeing him in action a few times

It's Tyson for me, mainly because of the Punch Out game on nes

Regards,
    Ray

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using Tapatalk

Being Welsh you would probably expect me to say Calzaghe but I'm not going to.

Not Joe's fault but Frank Warren prevented Joe from unifying the division earlier by not setting up bigger fights sooner. Joe should have been fighting in the US much sooner and taken on B Hop and RJJ earlier than he did.

Got to respect the defeat of guys like Eubank, Kessler though and also he destroyed Jeff Lacy and essentially did eventually unify the division. Just feel there were better fights out there than just the defence of the WBO belt that Warren loves so much and he defended for so long always at home.

For me it was Lennox. He was just incredible. Loved watching him and heavyweight boxing was amazing at that time.

Big big mention to Hatton as well. Stepped up and fought the best of the best in Mayweather and Pac man. Kosta Tszu as well.

Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-hoofbaw View Post
    Michael Watson was also an excellent middleweight from those days.
    He was, but obviously his brain injury stopped him too early in his career.

United we stand here....

He was, but obviously his brain injury stopped him too early in his career.
    The Watson/Benn/Eubank and to a slightly less degree Collins fights were brutal.

Proper warriors