hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: James McPake

James McPake

Good story on him here. He’s been through the mill the past couple of years but hopefully on the way back now.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...se-return.html
    Last edited by tamig; 11-11-2017 at 09:44 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Wow. Good luck to him.

Likeable player who brought some much needed grit to our team when he was with us.

First Team Breakthrough
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: jayjaygrant
    Loved him while he was with us (as my Account name would suggest )
    However looking back it was more his off the pitch personality and attitude rather than his ability.
    What I'm trying to get at here is that if I could have my time back, I'd choose a different account name...

Met him once, an absolute gentleman and had a genuine love for the club. But being captain of a desperately poor team is never easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcpakeisgod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    However looking back it was more his off the pitch personality and attitude rather than his ability.
    What I'm trying to get at here is that if I could have my time back, I'd choose a different account name...
    You can change your username. Just ask one of the Admins nicely
    This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The injuries in his 2nd season affected his legacy as a Hibs player.

No one however should underestimate the impact he made for us in his first season. His addition in the January window kept us up.

An admin can change it for you Mrs. McPake.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    The injuries in his 2nd season affected his legacy as a Hibs player.

No one however should underestimate the impact he made for us in his first season. His addition in the January window kept us up.
    Agree with this.

First Team Breakthrough
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: jayjaygrant
    Haha excellent , I'll be dropping them a message !

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Good luck James.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Haha excellent , I'll be dropping them a message !
    If the admin pricks take too long to respond you can change it yourself under "forum actions - edit profile".

He was immense on loan, head and shoulders above what had gone before him. We all loved him, we demanded that he got signed permanently and the club made it happen.

His luck (and ours) with injury had a major impact on our fortunes and McPake's legacy.

I always liked him. McPake was one of those players we seemed to want, and then buy, who started off well but then nosedived with the rest of the team. We didn't really seem able to make players 'better'. The first time in ages that changed was under Stubbs and I'm delighted that Lennon seems to be even better - Murray being a prime example.
    I wish McPake all the best - he never hid and almost got us back into the 2012 Cup Final.

Likeable character who I wish well, but like a many players for us, he initially looked a lot better than he turned out to be.

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    I like the fact that he refused to be interviewed until he had the club suit on as he was the captain.
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

Am I right in thinking butcher never really played him much in the run up to our relegation? Probably could have saved us a valuable point or two

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by samcrowe View Post
    Am I right in thinking butcher never really played him much in the run up to our relegation? Probably could have saved us a valuable point or two
    Butcher said he was injured but someone told me Mcpake was fit the last 2/3 months of the season just didn’t get selected for the squad. Would have kept us up imo far better than Nelson and mcgivern were at cb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clearly a good guy who had the club at heart....however let’s be honest, would you take him back?

This is a sign of how far we have come, or how low we sunk that, for me, even at his best he would not even make the current squad (never mind the starting 11).

I wish him all the best (particularly against jambo dogs) however he represents a time I have forgotten 😬

@hibs.net private member staunchhibby's Avatar
    Butcher had a lot to answer for during his tenure.Almost destroyed our club and his man management left a lot to be desired along with his cohort Malpas.

I hope James makes a full recovery and gets back playing first team football.

As an aside, top marks to Dundee for standing by him throughout
    This is how it feels

One of only a few from back then who I felt really gave a ****. Played with his heart and gave his all. Always welcome down Easter Road way.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Only player to get pass marks in "that final"

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by sauzee6_2 View Post
    Clearly a good guy who had the club at heart....however let’s be honest, would you take him back?

This is a sign of how far we have come, or how low we sunk that, for me, even at his best he would not even make the current squad (never mind the starting 11).

I wish him all the best (particularly against jambo dogs) however he represents a time I have forgotten 😬
    I think this is bang on. Not a dig at McPake - he always gave 100%, never hid and was undone by poor management and horrific injuries.

However, even at this best he'd be our 4th choice centre back now with Porteous waiting in the wings.

Again, not a dig at James who I have a huge amount of time for more a reflection how far we've come.

When McPake put his poorer performances in he was clearly affected by his injuries.

When he was fit he was superb.

Where he would compare to our current CBs would depend on which McPake you were talking about, but it was as if we'd had 2 different players.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Surprised at how little he played the season we went down. Only one start in the league and 2 sub appearances.

Makes you wonder what difference a fit Hanlon and McPake would have made.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    A likeable character, and stood out at that time as he actually cared/tried. Wish him well.

However he was a very limited defender, was great at the blood and thunder stuff and last gasp tackles which always looks good, a lot of the time it was as a result of his non existent positional sense. Sure it was Maldini that said “if I have to make a tackle i’ve already made a mistake”.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    I think this is bang on. Not a dig at McPake - he always gave 100%, never hid and was undone by poor management and horrific injuries.

However, even at this best he'd be our 4th choice centre back now with Porteous waiting in the wings.

Again, not a dig at James who I have a huge amount of time for more a reflection how far we've come.
    6th choice. Hanlon, Ambrose, McGregor, Fontaine and probably Porteous would all be ahead of him.

The biggest impact he could have made in helping us avoid relegation would have been by going up front and getting his heid on some of those hoofs up the park.

The much-maligned McGivern, Nelson et al didn't actually lose that many goals.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    Only player to get pass marks in "that final"
    He was awful in that game, the 1st goal he did pretty much everything you don't want to see a defender do. I think a lot of people marked his performance up because of the goal and because he actually looked like he gave a toss but his performance was on a par with almost every other player.

He was a pretty limited defender, dived in a lot and didn't read the game particularly well. I always judge a defender on how easy they make the game look and he made it look very difficult a lot of the time. I don't actually think Hibs were too fussed about signing him permanently but after that final and with the pressure from the fans it was a way to appease an angry fanbase. In saying all that as a character he helped galavnise the dressing room at a pretty crap time and I think he was a decent leader, he clearly cared and gave his all at a time when it's questionable if some others did. I wish him well.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Right Said Frank View Post
    A likeable character, and stood out at that time as he actually cared/tried. Wish him well.

However he was a very limited defender, was great at the blood and thunder stuff and last gasp tackles which always looks good, a lot of the time it was as a result of his non existent positional sense. Sure it was Maldini that said “if I have to make a tackle i’ve already made a mistake”.
    Spot on.