hibs.net Messageboard

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Phillips slows everything down and has no composure, absolutely honking how does he get a game for Scotland let alone start??

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’m not saying he’s ready, I’m saying you can’t say unless he tries it. It’s a friendly what have we got to lose? Also do you think he’d have been any worse than Phillips tonight?
    I think you can say without trying it. He’s not good enough to play that role up front himself. I think I’ve seen enough of him throughout the last couple of years to make that call.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    But Robertson’s a left back too?

If the best players have to play but only in their best position like you’re suggesting one of them has to drop out.

I’m sorry but I’m international football it is about trying to find a way to get all your best players on the park and sometimes that means some players will be played out of position. Tonight’s game is exactly the sort of game to be trying things.

As I said I don’t agree with all that Mackay did tonight but I think the criticism has been way OTT.
    Well if that’s the case drop Robertson. He’s not getting a game anyway.

@hibs.net private member Radium's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I know, imagine tierney marauding up the left, think of the space that would have created for the other midfielders.

Square pegs in round holes, when will we ever learn?
    Hanlon/ Tierney combination was not tried in a friendly - both playing in position and can move it forward. Sometimes coaches and managers just try to be too clever, and that was the case tonight.

Maclean played in Shinnies position. No recognised striker till 85th min. Paterson at right back?

Green tinted specs, but why only 3 subs and why, given the last two weeks, did McGinn play 90 mins? [do we just follow Celtic and have players drop out]

Mackay clearly is after a managers job and was the wrong choice for this game

I think you can say without trying it. He’s not good enough to play that role up front himself. I think I’ve seen enough of him throughout the last couple of years to make that call.
    That’s your opinion though. You could well be right but until we see we can’t say for certain imo. Again though and be honest, what did Phillips do tonight Jason couldn’t have done?

Bang on that’s what I’ve said as well. It’s not rocket science Mackay made a bit of a Noel Hunt tonight.
    If you look through this thread I said it earlier too.

Your saying players shouldn’t be played out of position though but then contradicting yourself by saying you want Robertson to play left wing?

I think in this Scotland team playing players out of position is a necessary evil and games like tonight are the games to try things.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Mac View Post
    Phillips slows everything down and has no composure, absolutely honking how does he get a game for Scotland let alone start??
    This. 👍🏼

@hibs.net private member Benny Brazil's Avatar
    Would you have played Robertson and Tierney both at left back tonight?
    I would have Tierney left back and Robertson left midfield - both are obviously strong defensively but both can attack as well

Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Mac View Post
    Phillips didnt have a great game but set uo cummings with a great chance that he should have scored with, or at least done better than he did.

That’s your opinion though. You could well be right but until we see we can’t say for certain imo. Again though and be honest, what did Phillips do tonight Jason couldn’t have done?
    I think Phillips was stinking tonight so I want to be clear about that, don’t want to turn this into a debate that makes me looks like I thought he was good.

I think he offered a physical presence and was able to drop a bit deeper to try and link up play better than JC would. JC would have been swallowed up and chucked away by van Dijk.

If you look through this thread I said it earlier too.

Your saying players shouldn’t be played out of position though but then contradicting yourself by saying you want Robertson to play left wing?

I think in this Scotland team playing players out of position is a necessary evil and games like tonight are the games to try things.
    I did, but playing left wing isn’t the worst position for him. But I would leave him out if I was forced to pick between the two! These are the games to try things that I 100% agree with, like Jason starting!

But Robertson’s a left back too?

If the best players have to play but only in their best position like you’re suggesting one of them has to drop out.

I’m sorry but I’m international football it is about trying to find a way to get all your best players on the park and sometimes that means some players will be played out of position. Tonight’s game is exactly the sort of game to be trying things.

As I said I don’t agree with all that Mackay did tonight but I think the criticism has been way OTT.
    International football is about having players who are willing and capable of retaining and distributing the ball when in tight and pressurised situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Brazil View Post
    I would have Tierney left back and Robertson left midfield - both are obviously strong defensively but both can attack as well
    Correct, me too.

My post is in response to people who can’t believe players were played out of position for us tonight.

For Scotland players playing in unnatural positions is going to be necessary sometimes imo.

I think Phillips was stinking tonight so I want to be clear about that, don’t want to turn this into a debate that makes me looks like I thought he was good.

I think he offered a physical presence and was able to drop a bit deeper to try and link up play better than JC would. JC would have been swallowed up and chucked away by van Dijk.
    Yeah I don’t think anyone could say he done even alright, he was honking. Jason may well have or he may have got a couple of chances and we both know he can finish. We’ll have to agree to disagree I think, I’d have Jason everytime in front of Phillips!

Quote Originally Posted by pacoluna View Post
    International football is about having players who are willing and capable of retaining and distributing the ball when in tight and pressurised situations.
    That’s what all Football is about. Unless you admit your *****.

Correct, me too.

My post is in response to people who can’t believe players were played out of position for us tonight.

For Scotland players playing in unnatural positions is going to be necessary sometimes imo.
    LB / LM is a very similar role now tho.

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    That’s what all Football is about. Unless you admit your *****.
    Totally different, the intensity of international football compared to domestic football particularly in the SPL.

@hibs.net private member Mantis Toboggan's Avatar
    Totally different, the intensity of international football compared to domestic football particularly in the SPL.
    Used to be true but is international football now any more intense than EPL for example?

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Toboggan View Post
    Used to be true but is international football now any more intense than EPL for example?
    I wouldn't say international football is very intense at all. Generally both sides are afraid to lose and play very cautiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I wouldn't say international football is very intense at all. Generally both sides are afraid to lose and play very cautiously.
    Most internationals are rotten these days. Slow paced and as you say both teams not wanting to lose.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    And so it starts.
    What starts? He was fantastic and dynamic in his position, differently as he is used at us. It shows the level he can get to. The link up play and chances created in a Scotland top from a Hibs player was a joy to watch selfishly as he was who I was focussing on.

Left by mutual consent!
    With neither of these sides having a competitive game scheduled until late 2018 it's hard to imagine what, if anything, either will have gained from this run-out. It was presumably a diary filler hastily arranged after the mutual failure to reach the Euro play-offs.

I wouldn't grudge any Hibs players their call-up (Hanlon's, in particular, was well deserved even though he didn't get on) but from a selfish point of view I just want them to avoid injuries when not playing for their club.

Only at the highest level of international football. Scotland don't play at the level very often. There was nothing too intense about tonights game, just a fair few players that can't pass a football. and i include the dutch in that. they have gone backwards in a big way.

Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    What starts? He was fantastic and dynamic in his position, differently as he is used at us. It shows the level he can get to. The link up play and chances created in a Scotland top from a Hibs player was a joy to watch selfishly as he was who I was focussing on.
    Thats what he does at Hibs?? I saw the same player tonight....just not trying too hard.

McGinn's valuation can surely only start at c.£5m right now. The guy is class, he'll be playing Champions League football one day.

Excellent second half from SJM and surprised anyone would play it down. He was dynamic, positive and his passing was top drawer. He’s so confident in his own game and was a real plus for Scotland.

Tierney is our best player, our best left back in 20 years.... surely he plays left back? Let others play in different positions but not him!

All been said on the thread already, Philips was pish but he is a winger, to give JC only 5 mins was a joke, needed to see what Hanlon could do and he should've had the 2nd half to do so and move Tierney to LB. Mackey tried to be too clever and it didn't work, this game was a great opportunity to see what some of these guys have got but poor tactics and man management knocked that on the head.

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by California-Hibs View Post
    Did you watch the Celtic vs Bayern match? Forrest was incredible, a huge threat. I can see why he’s included.
    No didn't see that game as I don't have BT Sport and have no interest whatsoever in the over bloated Champions League.

Happy for him if that is the case but one swallow a summer doth not make.

Every time I have seen him he has been absolutely rank.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    Excellent second half from SJM and surprised anyone would play it down. He was dynamic, positive and his passing was top drawer. He’s so confident in his own game and was a real plus for Scotland.

Tierney is our best player, our best left back in 20 years.... surely he plays left back? Let others play in different positions but not him!
    Totally agree thought SJM was excellent and deserved his MOM award.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Most internationals are rotten these days. Slow paced and as you say both teams not wanting to lose.
    Still a higher level of player and more technical game.