hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 387
  1. #61
    @hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    lincolnshire
    Age
    58
    Posts
    15,082
    Press original Pat Stanton, Debut Season.

    pat stanton 1964 001.jpg

    "I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

    Sir Matt Busby


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #62
    @hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The East
    Age
    46
    Posts
    2,759
    If they had safe standing way back then in that corner we can do it again

  4. #63
    @hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    lincolnshire
    Age
    58
    Posts
    15,082
    Press original, alleged hard man Graham Souness getting sent off for a nasty over the ball foul on his debut at ER for the now defunct Glasgow Rangers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

    "I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

    Sir Matt Busby

  5. #64
    @hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    8,852
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Easter Road 48/49 season
    Is that Iggy at one of the windows there

  6. #65
    @hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The East
    Age
    46
    Posts
    2,759
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Press original, alleged hard man Graham Souness getting sent off for a nasty over the ball foul on his debut at ER for the now defunct Glasgow Rangers.
    One of my favourite ever games at ER. Atmosphere was amazing that day as a young teenager.

  7. #66
    @hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    lincolnshire
    Age
    58
    Posts
    15,082
    Hands off Hibs
    Attached Images Attached Images

    "I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

    Sir Matt Busby

  8. #67
    @hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    lincolnshire
    Age
    58
    Posts
    15,082
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One of my favourite ever games at ER. Atmosphere was amazing that day as a young teenager.
    Me too, spent far too much money bidding for the photo as me and my mate thought we were right in line with it in the east - got the bloody thing and we both agreed that we were just out of shot! The folly of youth

    "I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

    Sir Matt Busby

  9. #68
    A few that I had handy - not sure where I got them all but the first couple are from Homes of Football.

  10. #69
    And a couple of others.


  11. #70
    @hibs.net private member Topographic Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Central Scotland
    Age
    54
    Posts
    552
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperAllyMcleod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And a couple of others.

    Jeezo, I’m getting goosebumps and a hint of vertigo from that terracing. What a thing of beauty it was.

    Anyone got pics of the stairs on the other side?

  12. #71
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    12,792

    GIRLS DONT LIKE BOYS GIRLS LIKE SIMON MURRAY


  13. #73
    @hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Age
    48
    Posts
    5,691

  14. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Eddie Gray didn't play. Possibly Frank?

    The team was Shaw (Letheran); Reaney, Cherry; Bremner, Ellam, Yorath; Lorimer, Clarke, Jordan, Bates, F. Gray.

    7th November 1973

    Interesting piece from Peter Lorimer:-

    Peter Lorimer claimed that Leeds “wanted out” of the competition and fielded a team of young, mainly Scottish players together with himself and Billy Bremner, who appreciated the trip back home to Scotland. Hibs were quoted at odds of 3-1 and the Leeds players had clubbed together to put £500 on the hosts. He said of the game, “Billy was playing sweeper, that’s how seriously Don was taking it, and he was back-heeling it here, messing about there and joking his way through the game. Unfortunately young John in goal was wanting to make a name for himself. He was not in on the scam and was flinging himself about left and right, making fabulous saves, until he got injured and had to go off. He was replaced by an even younger lad, a Welsh kid called Glan Letheran, and we thought ‘we are in here, Glan will be nervous’. Sure enough he was just as agile as John had been and, come what may, Hibs could not get the ball in the net until, with ten minutes to go, they broke clear down the right, the cross came over and their inside-forward headed home. We gave each other a knowing look, winked and whispered ‘thank God for that’. But the linesman had put his flag up and, despite our protestations that it was all right, the goal was disallowed. At full time, with the scores level, we had done our money. All bets are settled, of course, on ninety minutes. It went to penalties and Don’s view was that, having come so far, we might as well do our best now to win it. Damned right! We needed to win the match to collect the bonuses to cover the bet! And win it we did.”

    I am utterly gobsmacked to read this!

  15. #75
    Coaching Staff JimBHibees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Amityville
    Posts
    25,105
    Quote Originally Posted by hughio View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am utterly gobsmacked to read this!
    Sounds like a crock as there no way on this earth they werent trying.

  16. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sounds like a crock as there no way on this earth they werent trying.
    Maybe Cropley WG can confirm source?
    Presumably Lorimer's autobiography?

    Incidentally great thread.

    Keep these historic snaps coming folks.
    I'm enjoying explaining them all to my 9 year old mental hibby son.

  17. #77
    Coaching Staff JimBHibees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Amityville
    Posts
    25,105
    Quote Originally Posted by hughio View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe Cropley WG can confirm source?
    Presumably Lorimer's autobiography?

    Incidentally great thread.

    Keep these historic snaps coming folks.
    I'm enjoying explaining them all to my 9 year old mental hibby son.
    Bremner gave the best individual performance I have ever seen in that game at sweeper covering everything no way on this earth he wasnt trying as would have been so easy to throw the game if he wanted to.

  18. #78
    @hibs.net private member Kato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Paris
    Age
    57
    Posts
    6,543
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sounds like a crock as there no way on this earth they werent trying.
    Exactly.

  19. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bremner gave the best individual performance I have ever seen in that game at sweeper covering everything no way on this earth he wasnt trying as would have been so easy to throw the game if he wanted to.
    To check this I'm going to have to invest £3.31 on ebay for a used copy of that Lorimer Autobiog unless CropleyWG offers his??

    Surely cannot be true?
    Was Lorimer such as to make this sort of stuff up?Did he become an alkie and have to sell a book?

    Anyone?

  20. #80
    @hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ma bit
    Posts
    9,422
    Quote Originally Posted by hughio View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To check this I'm going to have to invest £3.31 on ebay for a used copy of that Lorimer Autobiog unless CropleyWG offers his??

    Surely cannot be true?
    Was Lorimer such as to make this sort of stuff up?Did he become an alkie and have to sell a book?

    Anyone?
    Save yourself the £3.31. I wouldn't believe a word anybody from that Leeds side said. Then again, a betting scam was right up their street, so you never know.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

  21. #81
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperAllyMcleod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A few that I had handy - not sure where I got them all but the first couple are from Homes of Football.
    Thanks. Not seen that second pic before. I can see a version of myself from 25 years ago!!

  22. #82
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    22,341
    Quote Originally Posted by hughio View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe Cropley WG can confirm source?
    Presumably Lorimer's autobiography?

    Incidentally great thread.

    Keep these historic snaps coming folks.
    I'm enjoying explaining them all to my 9 year old mental hibby son.
    I found it on this site, which seems to be an Australian fan site.

    http://www.ozwhitelufc.net.au/07-11-...20v%20LUFC.htm

    I would be disappointed if it is true.... like many others, I've built up a mythology around that game. Part of that, of course, is that performance by Bremner.
    Last edited by CropleyWasGod; 10-11-2017 at 11:04 AM.

  23. #83
    @hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    lincolnshire
    Age
    58
    Posts
    15,082
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Save yourself the £3.31. I wouldn't believe a word anybody from that Leeds side said. Then again, a betting scam was right up their street, so you never know.
    Yep. Horrible club at the time and managed by a cheat who'd give dodgy dave a run for his money.

    Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

    "I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

    Sir Matt Busby

  24. #84
    @hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    lincolnshire
    Age
    58
    Posts
    15,082
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I found it on this site, which seems to be an Australian fan site.

    http://www.ozwhitelufc.net.au/07-11-...20v%20LUFC.htm

    I would be disappointed if it is true.... like many others, I've built up a mythology around that game. Part of that, of course, is that performance by Bremner.
    I was there and as an impressional youth back in the day I was a bit in awe of bremners all round performance. Imagine if he'd actually been trying

    Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

    "I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

    Sir Matt Busby

  25. #85
    @hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    lincolnshire
    Age
    58
    Posts
    15,082
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Brilliant shot. Looks like the same moment in time I've posted above but from the rear?

    Where did you find it?

    Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

    "I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

    Sir Matt Busby

  26. #86
    @hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Age
    48
    Posts
    5,691













  27. #87
    Quote Originally Posted by Craigmount Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks. Not seen that second pic before. I can see a version of myself from 25 years ago!!
    Excellent, I was sure someone would come back and tell me that

    I’m gutted because I had a season ticket at the back of the next section along.

  28. #88
    Testimonial Due Delboy4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Livingston
    Age
    52
    Posts
    1,034
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Eddie Gray didn't play. Possibly Frank?

    The team was Shaw (Letheran); Reaney, Cherry; Bremner, Ellam, Yorath; Lorimer, Clarke, Jordan, Bates, F. Gray.

    7th November 1973

    Interesting piece from Peter Lorimer:-

    Peter Lorimer claimed that Leeds “wanted out” of the competition and fielded a team of young, mainly Scottish players together with himself and Billy Bremner, who appreciated the trip back home to Scotland. Hibs were quoted at odds of 3-1 and the Leeds players had clubbed together to put £500 on the hosts. He said of the game, “Billy was playing sweeper, that’s how seriously Don was taking it, and he was back-heeling it here, messing about there and joking his way through the game. Unfortunately young John in goal was wanting to make a name for himself. He was not in on the scam and was flinging himself about left and right, making fabulous saves, until he got injured and had to go off. He was replaced by an even younger lad, a Welsh kid called Glan Letheran, and we thought ‘we are in here, Glan will be nervous’. Sure enough he was just as agile as John had been and, come what may, Hibs could not get the ball in the net until, with ten minutes to go, they broke clear down the right, the cross came over and their inside-forward headed home. We gave each other a knowing look, winked and whispered ‘thank God for that’. But the linesman had put his flag up and, despite our protestations that it was all right, the goal was disallowed. At full time, with the scores level, we had done our money. All bets are settled, of course, on ninety minutes. It went to penalties and Don’s view was that, having come so far, we might as well do our best now to win it. Damned right! We needed to win the match to collect the bonuses to cover the bet! And win it we did.”

    How things have changed over the years...

    Me and my big brother went to the game on the bus, I was 7 and my brother was 12. My Dad was working back shift in the Post Office and said he would meet us there, just stand in the usual place!!!

    As you can see in the photo, ER was busting at the seems Lol it took my Dad half an hour to wade through the fans as he came in the Dunbar end but had to walk to the 2nd tier in line with the 18 yard box near the cave end (FF to you young ones).

    Bloody memories - Fantastic

    PS I loved standing right at the front of the 2nd tier where there was a walkway, I could see all the game as there was no one in front of me and I could also watch everyone fighting and chucking beer cans into the opposite supporters who were about 30 feet away!! Imagine that happening now?
    Last edited by Delboy4; 10-11-2017 at 01:38 PM.

  29. #89
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    12,792
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Brilliant shot. Looks like the same moment in time I've posted above but from the rear?

    Where did you find it?

    Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
    I’ve got loads of pictures saved on my iPad, I can’t remember exactly where that one came from.

    GIRLS DONT LIKE BOYS GIRLS LIKE SIMON MURRAY


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved