hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Doidge

First Team Breakthrough

Doidge

The boy has the look of being something good but lacks confidence in front of goal , think it will come though I remember Forlan at Man Utd was the same when he arrived but went on to do well let’s stick with it

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by dastardly8 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The boy has the look of being something good but lacks confidence in front of goal , think it will come though I remember Forlan at Man Utd was the same when he arrived but went on to do well let’s stick with it
    Already a thread!

I hope you're right but if I recall correctly Forlan didn't start playing till he went to Villarreal and later Atletico. Think he only scored single digits in his whole time at Man Utd.

The pressure of such a big club and expectation maybe. Doidge possibly the same with the big transfer figure that had been banded about, even if it had been inflated by the media.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member hibees 7062's Avatar
    He’s not and never will be a lone striker

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Pedigree aside - What happened to the non-flying Dutchman at Arsenal?
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Left by mutual consent!
    Unconfident strikers don't take as many touches as he did to shoot. They snatch at the chances. He's just s****.

Anything else is making excuses.

@hibs.net private member allmodcons's Avatar
    I'm not usually one to criticise but Doidge cost us the game today. Unbelievable chances but just didn't look like scoring. Really poor performance.

IMO he should have been replaced by Kamberi as soon as Aberdeen went down to 10 men.

Forlan was gash for Man Utd, failing to see the relevance. Get the boy on the bench if he canny score he’s a striker ffs

@hibs.net private member Malthibby's Avatar
    Just don't see what anyone has been seeing in him. He's meant to be a striker & misses chances my granny would put away. And
    he does it over and over again.
    Get him out the first team, get a hypnotist, get a psychologist, try & sort him (ball, net; net, ball), I hope it's possible.
    Otherwise, he's going to be another example of a lower English league huddie people keep thinking can cut in the SPFL
    when he blatantly cannot.

He’s very consistent.Did the same against St.Mirren.He’s only getting a game because the manager doesn’t want to admit that he’s another disastrous signing.

@hibs.net private member
    I think so too.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Feel sorry for the guy. Strikers go through these runs usually just takes one then he'll get a few. Good he is getting into the positions.

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    I thought he was better all round that Cosgrove today. Cosgrove hardly scored in his first 20 games for Aberdeen if I remember correctly and now can’t stop scoring. Obviously if he continues to miss clear chances it’s a huge issue but he may well be 1 goal away from settling and scoring regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post
    I thought he was better all round that Cosgrove today. Cosgrove hardly scored in his first 20 games for Aberdeen if I remember correctly and now can’t stop scoring. Obviously if he continues to miss clear chances it’s a huge issue but he may well be 1 goal away from settling and scoring regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We all agreed at the game that he made great runs to get into positions for the chances. He knows himself that he should have done better, he was absolutely gutted when he went off

It’s down to confidence, the fact he’s getting the chances is promising.

Missing the pen on his debut just sums him up right now unfortunately.

He really needs to start producing though, fans and the team can only be patient for so long and he has already cost us points with his misses today. He also missed a couple of really good chances against St Mirren.

Felt for him. Can't fault his effort or workrate and he did v well in the air....but ultimately he did not do the main part of his job and it appears he just doesnt have that finishing instinct. That said, Flo made an erse of a good chance too.

Left by mutual consent!
    If you can Doidge a wrench you can Doidge a goal.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheat Hound View Post
    Felt for him. Can't fault his effort or workrate and he did v well in the air....but ultimately he did not do the main part of his job and it appears he just doesnt have that finishing instinct. That said, Flo made an erse of a good chance too.
    He does have that finishing instinct though he scored goals for fun at other clubs.

Coaching Staff
    Having watched it now Doidge actually had a really good all round game. I like him. He’s strong, quick enough and good in the air. He gets in good positions and makes good runs.

Of the four chances the first two weren’t too bad. Think he did what he could with them, but he will want to do better with the likes of the last two.

He’s shown before he can finish and I think it will come.

Kamberi had a poor miss too.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Having watched it now Doidge actually had a really good all round game. I like him. He’s strong, quick enough and good in the air. He gets in good positions and makes good runs.

Of the four chances the first two weren’t too bad. Think he did what he could with them, but he will want to do better with the likes of the last two.

I agree. I'd be more concerned if he was posted invisible without getting into goal scoring positions. The goals will come if continuing to do what good forwards do which is finding themselves in good goal scoring opportunities.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Doidge had really good all round game but then rip Kamberi 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Coaching Staff
    He did have a good all round game and he was missed when he went off.

I don’t think pointing out Kamberi had a poor miss as well in his time on the park is really ripping him.
    Last edited by Andy74; 06-10-2019 at 10:25 AM.

If doidge managed to put away the chances he's had,he would be on a decent tally.
    Hopefully the big man starts tucking them away 👍

Coaching Staff
    I used to spend way too much time (and, unfortunately money) at roulette tables thinking the ball just needs to slot in once and it’ll suddenly all start to work out.

He’s not scoring because even though he used to knock them in for Forest Green or Dagenham, he’s not playing against the kind of teams Forest Green or Dagenham play.

Overall, we’ve a mediocre team with a mediocre manager playing mediocre football. “Luck” isn’t going to change any of that.
    Last edited by steakbake; 06-10-2019 at 05:41 AM.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by judas View Post
    I think so too.
    Does not look good at all. No poise or balance or awareness. Repeats the same errors again and again. Forlan only went on to do well when he went to Athletico Madrid. You could see there was a player in there. Not the case with Doidge.
    Last edited by FilipinoHibs; 06-10-2019 at 02:34 AM.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Gash, get rid.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    He does have that finishing instinct though he scored goals for fun at other clubs.
    Yes at Conference and League 2 level in England, which is a far lower level than he's now playing at with us.

He's 27 as well so it's not even as if he's a promising youngster with time on his side to develop.

As I've said on previous threads, he seems like a decent team player but strikers are judged on goals and when we're spending a sizeable chunk of our budget on someone, I'm expecting them to be competent at doing their primary role in the team.

What Doidge did yesterday was a striker's equivalent of a goalkeeper letting in four howlers. If Maxwell had done that then people would be wanting him dropped for weeks.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Yes at Conference and League 2 level in England, which is a far lower level than he's now playing at with us.

He's 27 as well so it's not even as if he's a promising youngster with time on his side to develop.

As I've said on previous threads, he seems like a decent team player but strikers are judged on goals and when we're spending a sizeable chunk of our budget on someone, I'm expecting them to be competent at doing their primary role in the team.

What Doidge did yesterday was a striker's equivalent of a goalkeeper letting in four howlers. If Maxwell had done that then people would be wanting him dropped for weeks.
    Agree 100 percent with your first point there. I’d have had no issue with us finding young, talented gems in the lower reaches of the English leagues. But in Doidge, Newell and Vela, we’ve brought in guys who are 25+: they’re mid career. We brought them in at their level, not at the promising start.
    Last edited by steakbake; 06-10-2019 at 05:42 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post

Of all the signings this summer he was the one that worried me the most. The fee we paid and his age mean I'd expected him to be the finished article. This is isn't a young guy we've taken a chance on the cheap - this is one of our biggest transfer fees paid in year's for a player that's supposed to be in his prime. And I've seen nowhere nearvenough to make me think we've made a good purchase.

The one thing I would say though is that I'd like to see him and Kamberi have a proper chance up top together. The managers downfall is going to be his rigidity and inability to see his formation isn't working. With 2 up top and Allan supporting in midfield we'd at least see some goals imo.

you know things are bad when you yearn for the days of Simon Murray and Brian Graham.