hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 47 of 47
  1. #31
    Testimonial Due HoboHarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,325
    Well the authorities didn't mess around with this one........

    http://www.scotsman.com/sport/footba...buse-1-4608988


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #32
    @hibs.net private member guthrie01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    302
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    8 match ban for O'Hara.
    Deserved, his comments towards another professional where disgusting. Hope he and his tin pot club go down

  4. #33
    @hibs.net private member easty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    33
    Posts
    8,063
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: hibee_easty
    8 matches for some school playground style bullying seems harsh to me

  5. #34
    @hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Blackpool
    Age
    57
    Posts
    47,198
    8 game ban sounds about right to me, Tonev got a 7 game ban for racially abusing Logan the Aberdeen player.

  6. #35
    @hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Alloa
    Age
    52
    Posts
    8,900
    Blog Entries
    1
    Always admired Dean Shiels and how he overcame his disability to play at a decent level.

    For once the SFA have done the right thing with this ban and hopefully it sends out the message that mocking someone’s disability, race, religion or sexuality etc is not acceptable in this day and age.

    I am sure we have all heard some off colour ‘banter’ at games or in the workplace and people deal with it in different ways and in the right spirit can be humouous but when it is called out like this and appears so nasty and vindictive they deserve all they get.
    Last edited by Spike Mandela; 09-11-2017 at 03:08 PM.

  7. #36
    Testimonial Due HoboHarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,325
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    8 matches for some school playground style bullying seems harsh to me
    My wife is a teacher and she will tell you that the tolerance towards bullying is light years away from what it used to be - ignoring it is no longer an option........
    Last edited by HoboHarry; 09-11-2017 at 03:13 PM.

  8. #37
    @hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Alloa
    Age
    52
    Posts
    8,900
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My wife is a teacher and she will tell you that the tolerance towards bullying is light years away from what it used to be - turning a blind eye is no longer an option........
    That could have been phrased better, no?

  9. #38
    Testimonial Due HoboHarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,325
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That could have been phrased better, no?
    Whoopsie - that's the daftest thing I've said for a while...... edited now......

  10. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    8 matches for some school playground style bullying seems harsh to me
    you hit the nail on the head there.

    Its setting an example to kids that this behaviour is not acceptable.

  11. #40
    @hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ma bit
    Posts
    8,366
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    8 matches for some school playground style bullying seems harsh to me
    I don't think so. Mocking the poor guy for his disability is totally unacceptable. We know there will be a few roasters in the crowd who think they're being funny, but when it's another player saying it to the guy's face, that is terrible. Incredibly crass behaviour.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

  12. #41
    @hibs.net private member easty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    33
    Posts
    8,063
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Not In The Know View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    you hit the nail on the head there.

    Its setting an example to kids that this behaviour is not acceptable.
    Nah, that's overthinking it.

    Kids aren't going to stop taking the piss out of folk, or bullying folk, because a Falkirk player got an 8 match ban.

    Cantona got a 9 month ban for his kung fu kick, kids still had fights in the playground the next day.

  13. #42
    I only want to say the Scottish Cup is in the bag... Sir David Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    30,569
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    8 matches for some school playground style bullying seems harsh to me
    Nope not harsh enough if he's managed to escape a financial penalty.

    If I was to make a comment like that to someone in my workplace, I would lose my job as that would be deemed gross misconduct.

    Falkirk should sack him and his sidekick if he's found guilty as well.
    HIBERNIAN F.C. - SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016

    21.05.2016

  14. #43
    First Team Breakthrough Renfrew_Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Renfrew, Renfrewshire
    Posts
    480
    Quote Originally Posted by Suburban Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Cyclops I believe- sounds horrendous when you think about it now- it was commonplace then.
    Sneddon was before my time but I know the player, had no idea that he might have been in a similar position to Deano?

  15. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nope not harsh enough if he's managed to escape a financial penalty.

    If I was to make a comment like that to someone in my workplace, I would lose my job as that would be deemed gross misconduct.

    Falkirk should sack him and his sidekick if he's found guilty as well.
    I doubt part of your job involves getting fired up and competing against others in the same manner though, and perhaps occasionally having to wind-up/argue.

    Not saying you're wrong that the punishment should be harsher by the way. I just don't think the whole "my workplace" argument that gets used a lot on here is that strong - if I behaved in my office like I do on the pitch I would have been sacked every week. Different work environments have different standards and codes of conduct... not just football (take a bricky and a vicar for example )

    Having said all that - taunting someone about a disability like Deano's wouldn't be acceptable in any workplace. No chance of sacking in this case though.

  16. #45
    I only want to say the Scottish Cup is in the bag... Sir David Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    30,569
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I doubt part of your job involves getting fired up and competing against others in the same manner though, and perhaps occasionally having to wind-up/argue.

    Not saying you're wrong that the punishment should be harsher by the way. I just don't think the whole "my workplace" argument that gets used a lot on here is that strong - if I behaved in my office like I do on the pitch I would have been sacked every week. Different work environments have different standards and codes of conduct... not just football (take a bricky and a vicar for example )

    Having said all that - taunting someone about a disability like Deano's wouldn't be acceptable in any workplace. No chance of sacking in this case though.
    The bit in bold is exactly the point I was making.

    The fact that football is different to a "normal" job makes no difference when it comes to a situation like this. No employer should tolerate this type of behaviour by one of its employees.

    I don't see any difference between this incident and if it had been an incident of racist abuse. If it had been racism they were accused of then there's no question they would have been sacked if the accusation had been proven.
    HIBERNIAN F.C. - SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016

    21.05.2016

  17. #46
    @hibs.net private member easty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    33
    Posts
    8,063
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The bit in bold is exactly the point I was making.

    The fact that football is different to a "normal" job makes no difference when it comes to a situation like this. No employer should tolerate this type of behaviour by one of its employees.

    I don't see any difference between this incident and if it had been an incident of racist abuse. If it had been racism they were accused of then there's no question they would have been sacked if the accusation had been proven.
    It's different to racist abuse

  18. #47
    Commited Shareholder Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Neu Reekie
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,297
    Quote Originally Posted by Renfrew_Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sneddon was before my time but I know the player, had no idea that he might have been in a similar position to Deano?
    As far as I recall, he was nicknamed Cyclops by some down to the way he looked. He had two eyes in his head as far as I know, one of them just looked different. Wee bit of misinformation here. And this nickname wasn't widely used (I think he was called 'Snods' amongst his colleagues) nor was it intended as abusive.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved