hibs.net Messageboard

Left by mutual consent!

Nedbank Challenge/OHL Classic (Golf)

The European Tour moves to South Africa this week. I'm going to stick with Aphibarnrat and Pepperell solely because they're in form despite no cigars and the fact they've both shortened into 25/1 from both being 33/1 last week. I'm including George Coetzee who had a really good last round last week and he's a South African home boy which might give him an extra edge to up his game for all four rounds. Its certain to be hotly contested with any of the top 50 in the betting worth a shout really though.

The PGA tour is in Mexico this week with Rickie Fowler heading the betting at around 9/1 which isn't too bad all for one of the world's best players but he's not been playing recently and may be using this as a warm up to next week in Dubai if he's eligible for entry. I'll be on Ollie Sneiderjans who returns after a couple of weeks or so absence who had been playing really consistently well prior to the short absence and Seamus Power who's been showing some aspects of real talent albeit he'll have to drastically cut down on the basic mistakes and if so could be competitive at the top end of the field.

Good luck to anyone else having a wee wager.

GGTTH

Edit - It looks as if Sneiderjans has withdrawn. I'll maybe take Jhonattan Vegas instead.
    Last edited by Tornadoes70; 08-11-2017 at 10:13 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I'm going to be relatively true to my word by hanging fire, watching a few days and making my move with the in-play betting as it heats up on Sunday, but I'll stick a couple on before we get underway just to make things interesting.

OHL Classic - Ross Fisher - has had a couple of strong tournaments of late, is hitting the ball cleanly and just needs to go one step further. I'm going with him and Pepperell - Peperell has been very consistent, always seems to finish in the top 20, strong again last week and it is just a matter of time before he wins something.

Nedbank Challenge - Chesson Hadley (in good form, decent price) and Bryson DeChambeau. DeChambeau nearly won me an absolute fortune last week but wilted a bit over the last 4 or 5 holes. As it turned out, most players struggled over the past few holes last week, but DeChambeau was actually only 2 shots off the lead in the end - he'd been 100/1, 6 shots back before the last day, and he has a habit of sneaking up out of nowhere on the last day of tournaments. He's 33/1, so I'm taking him as my second pick.

I do like Schneiderjans, I would have gone for him if he'd been there, when I had read your post I'd wondered how I'd missed him, but then read your edit - makes sense.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm going to be relatively true to my word by hanging fire, watching a few days and making my move with the in-play betting as it heats up on Sunday, but I'll stick a couple on before we get underway just to make things interesting.

OHL Classic - Ross Fisher - has had a couple of strong tournaments of late, is hitting the ball cleanly and just needs to go one step further. I'm going with him and Pepperell - Peperell has been very consistent, always seems to finish in the top 20, strong again last week and it is just a matter of time before he wins something.

Nedbank Challenge - Chesson Hadley (in good form, decent price) and Bryson DeChambeau. DeChambeau nearly won me an absolute fortune last week but wilted a bit over the last 4 or 5 holes. As it turned out, most players struggled over the past few holes last week, but DeChambeau was actually only 2 shots off the lead in the end - he'd been 100/1, 6 shots back before the last day, and he has a habit of sneaking up out of nowhere on the last day of tournaments. He's 33/1, so I'm taking him as my second pick.

I do like Schneiderjans, I would have gone for him if he'd been there, when I had read your post I'd wondered how I'd missed him, but then read your edit - makes sense.
    He was listed on oddschecker at 40/1 on Monday and yesterday, then today I noticed he'd been removed from most of the bookies odds and on looking at the PGA field list realised he must have pulled out for some reason or had been listed wrongly. Shame that as I was looking forward to seeing how he'd play after a short lay-off. Anyway, I ended up taking Power and Vegas.

I like your selections of Hadley and DeChambeau and they should if remaining in form give you a run for your money.

Fisher is a really good shout as he's been red hot lately with a couple of runner up slots just a few weeks ago. I'm also on Pepperell who hopefully will be up there again and this time opens the cigar box as he has been so consistent he should be thinking of closing in on one soon.

I hope Julian Suri doesn't win as he was one I was thinking of including but left out as I try to limit myself to a trio in the European and a double in the PGA or otherwise could end up with umpteen golfers on one bet and the gains would be severely diminished if one of them pull it off.

Good luck mate.

GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by lgnsh70 View Post
    He was listed on oddschecker at 40/1 on Monday and yesterday, then today I noticed he'd been removed from most of the bookies odds and on looking at the PGA field list realised he must have pulled out for some reason or had been listed wrongly. Shame that as I was looking forward to seeing how he'd play after a short lay-off. Anyway, I ended up taking Power and Vegas.

I like your selections of Hadley and DeChambeau and they should if remaining in form give you a run for your money.

Fisher is a really good shout as he's been red hot lately with a couple of runner up slots just a few weeks ago. I'm also on Pepperell who hopefully will be up there again and this time opens the cigar box as he has been so consistent he should be thinking of closing in on one soon.

I hope Julian Suri doesn't win as he was one I was thinking of including but left out as I try to limit myself to a trio in the European and a double in the PGA or otherwise could end up with umpteen golfers on one bet and the gains would be severely diminished if one of them pull it off.

Good luck mate.

GGTTH
    Yeah, they're the nightmare ones.

I'd backed Cantlay a couple of times in the past and decided to take him in-play on Sunday. If he'd won and I wasn't on him in any capacity I'd have been gutted, as I thought it was a matter of time before he got a win.

Suri is a good player, a really solid each-way bet. I like him, but don't think he quite has what it takes to win at this point, hopefully we're right in leaving him alone for now.

Luiten is my "one of those" this week. Promises a lot early on, doesn't capitalise over the weekend. It would be annoying for me if he did this week, I know he has a win in him somewhere and I've taken him a few times of late.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Yeah, they're the nightmare ones.

I'd backed Cantlay a couple of times in the past and decided to take him in-play on Sunday. If he'd won and I wasn't on him in any capacity I'd have been gutted, as I thought it was a matter of time before he got a win.

Suri is a good player, a really solid each-way bet. I like him, but don't think he quite has what it takes to win at this point, hopefully we're right in leaving him alone for now.

Luiten is my "one of those" this week. Promises a lot early on, doesn't capitalise over the weekend. It would be annoying for me if he did this week, I know he has a win in him somewhere and I've taken him a few times of late.
    It was really good to hear you'd won a few quid at the weekend as I know you'd been really close with Luiten recently and I think you're right, Luiten will win again sometime no doubt as he's a top player on the tour when in the mood. Here's hoping its just not this weekend when you've not got a penny on him. Same with Suri who I agree with you in that he's maybe not one for the moment but I did swither whether to put him on the slip but instead went with Coetzee.