hibs.net Messageboard

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Well, that was to be expected! When Cook does make a century he tends to then go big to a greater extent than most batsmen and day 3 at the MCG was no different.

By stumps he managed to overtake Brian Lara to go into 6th place in the all-time rankings for Test runs in a career, which illustrates just how successful he has been over the past eleven or twelve years. Admittedly he's had forty more innings than Lara and it's noticeable that Cook is one of only two in the all-time top ten who doesn't average more than fifty - nor is he likely to, he has been pretty much firmly stuck in the mid-forties his entire career. Nevertheless it's a tremendous achievement and testament to a hugely successful and very resilient career with the bat.

As for the others, Root's frustration at not converting a 50 to a 100 yet again, was evident in his behavior when he was dismissed. The commentators, Damian Fleming on BT in particular, took great delight at replaying him trying to throw his gloves down as he crossed the boundary, only for him to miss the rope and have to pick them up again to remove them from the field.

Very poor game management for the Malan dismissal too. If the Australian batsmen were guilty in their first innings of cutting and playing onto their stumps, the English have been guilty of not actually knowing that they had made contact with the bat. Vince and Malan's dismissals could both have been overturned had they reviewed the original decision.

Stuart Broad deserves credit - exemplary with the ball and a very valuable knock and partnership with Cook.

In amongst what was a very successful day for England, Nathan Lyon shouldn't be overlooked however. An outstanding 63 wickets in the calendar year at an average of 23.55 puts him top of the list for 2017. Snagging Moeen for the sixth time in the series also shows his ability to find and exploit a 'bunny' in the opposition ranks. It also highlights how miserable a time Moeen is having - for me, he's a batsman first, a bowler second, but in the series he's averaging less than twenty with the bat and the bowling's been worse, if anything, gathering three wickets at an average well in excess of one hundred. It's night and day compared with his form in the summer where he was batting in the thirties and took 30 wickets at an average in the low twenties. Of course in the summer he was on home soil, playing against sides who aren't in the top echelon in world cricket at the moment.

It does raise questions about how England should line up post-Ashes. For me, Root and Bairstow should both move up the order, to three and five respectively, even though they don't want to, with Malan moving up to four (although I might be tempted by pushing Bairstow up there). You then have the option of giving someone else the gloves (Ben Foakes being the prime candidate) and/or blooding some of the younger talent safely down the order - the likes of Livingstone or Clarke. Vince drops out, he's demonstrated he can play a great cover drive on an Australian pitch but little else.

That allows Moeen to drop down to eight or nine - both Woakes and Curran are relatively handy with the bat on English soil - taking some of the pressure off him but also recreating what England have notable had in the last couple of years, namely a very deep batting order. Hopefully Moeen finds his form again, as England need at least one reliable spinner to go to.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, that was to be expected! When Cook does make a century he tends to then go big to a greater extent than most batsmen and day 3 at the MCG was no different.

By stumps he managed to overtake Brian Lara to go into 6th place in the all-time rankings for Test runs in a career, which illustrates just how successful he has been over the past eleven or twelve years. Admittedly he's had forty more innings than Lara and it's noticeable that Cook is one of only two in the all-time top ten who doesn't average more than fifty - nor is he likely to, he has been pretty much firmly stuck in the mid-forties his entire career. Nevertheless it's a tremendous achievement and testament to a hugely successful and very resilient career with the bat.

As for the others, Root's frustration at not converting a 50 to a 100 yet again, was evident in his behavior when he was dismissed. The commentators, Damian Fleming on BT in particular, took great delight at replaying him trying to throw his gloves down as he crossed the boundary, only for him to miss the rope and have to pick them up again to remove them from the field.

Very poor game management for the Malan dismissal too. If the Australian batsmen were guilty in their first innings of cutting and playing onto their stumps, the English have been guilty of not actually knowing that they had made contact with the bat. Vince and Malan's dismissals could both have been overturned had they reviewed the original decision.

Stuart Broad deserves credit - exemplary with the ball and a very valuable knock and partnership with Cook.

In amongst what was a very successful day for England, Nathan Lyon shouldn't be overlooked however. An outstanding 63 wickets in the calendar year at an average of 23.55 puts him top of the list for 2017. Snagging Moeen for the sixth time in the series also shows his ability to find and exploit a 'bunny' in the opposition ranks. It also highlights how miserable a time Moeen is having - for me, he's a batsman first, a bowler second, but in the series he's averaging less than twenty with the bat and the bowling's been worse, if anything, gathering three wickets at an average well in excess of one hundred. It's night and day compared with his form in the summer where he was batting in the thirties and took 30 wickets at an average in the low twenties. Of course in the summer he was on home soil, playing against sides who aren't in the top echelon in world cricket at the moment.

It does raise questions about how England should line up post-Ashes. For me, Root and Bairstow should both move up the order, to three and five respectively, even though they don't want to, with Malan moving up to four (although I might be tempted by pushing Bairstow up there). You then have the option of giving someone else the gloves (Ben Foakes being the prime candidate) and/or blooding some of the younger talent safely down the order - the likes of Livingstone or Clarke. Vince drops out, he's demonstrated he can play a great cover drive on an Australian pitch but little else.

That allows Moeen to drop down to eight or nine - both Woakes and Curran are relatively handy with the bat on English soil - taking some of the pressure off him but also recreating what England have notable had in the last couple of years, namely a very deep batting order. Hopefully Moeen finds his form again, as England need at least one reliable spinner to go to.

Excellent summary of the situation. Agree totally about the batting - Cook, Stoneman, Root, Malan, Bairstow makes complete sense. Vince isn't good enough. There are others who deserve a chance.

Woakes, Curran, Broad and Anderson will do well in England (didn't do so badly yesterday, come to that). Broad and Anderson have a couple of years yet, I think, but England do need to be looking for their successors now.

Hopefully Stokes will be available sometime soon, unless the worst happens and he goes to jail. This seems a distinct possibility. Idiot. (Stokes, not you.)

If Stokes is available, I'd leave Bairstow with the gloves. Foakes is also a distinct possibility if he's not; then Bairstow would be a dedicated batsman (and vice-captain?).

They need to look at Moeen's position. He has obvious weaknesses which he needs to address; he also has real strengths which can make him a real asset to the team. He's also a team player, which is be important, but not to the detriment of the bowling. Frankly, I do wonder whether he'll ever really be a 'reliable' spinner - or batsman. He seems to need a 'guru' to guide him? Someone he really relates to?

Cook, Stoneman, Root, Malan, Bairstow, Stokes, Moeen/Foakes, Curran, Woakes, Broad and Anderson looks OK to me.

But they DO need to stop the off-field silly buggers. They they need to learn to behave like international sportsmen and professionals. It's a scandal that Stokes wasn't on this tour, and it was his own stupid fault.

And how do two guys get out lbw when they've both got bat to ball? Are they wearing oven gloves? They were saying that Cook should have taken more notice, but he's had his own troubles and as far as I could see (not a lip-reader, but ...) he asked them both whether they had got an edge and they both said no. It's a test match - you don't walk until you abso-bloody-lutely have to.

Oh, and well done, Alistair Cook - terrific innings and thoroughly deserved.
    Last edited by --------; 28-12-2017 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    Excellent summary of the situation. Agree totally about the batting - Cook, Stoneman, Root, Malan, Bairstow makes complete sense. Vince isn't good enough. There are others who deserve a chance.

Woakes, Curran, Broad and Anderson will do well in England (didn't do so badly yesterday, come to that). Broad and Anderson have a couple of years yet, I think, but England do need to be looking for their successors now.

Hopefully Stokes will be available sometime soon, unless the worst happens and he goes to jail. This seems a distinct possibility. Idiot. (Stokes, not you.)

If Stokes is available, I'd leave Bairstow with the gloves. Foakes is also a distinct possibility if he's not; then Bairstow would be a dedicated batsman (and vice-captain?).

They need to look at Moeen's position. He has obvious weaknesses which he needs to address; he also has real strengths which can make him a real asset to the team. He's also a team player, which is be important, but not to the detriment of the bowling. Frankly, I do wonder whether he'll ever really be a 'reliable' spinner - or batsman. He seems to need a 'guru' to guide him? Someone he really relates to?

Cook, Stoneman, Root, Malan, Bairstow, Stokes, Moeen/Foakes, Curran, Woakes, Broad and Anderson looks OK to me.

But they DO need to stop the off-field silly buggers. They they need to learn to behave like international sportsmen and professionals. It's a scandal that Stokes wasn't on this tour, and it was his own stupid fault.

And how do two guys get out lbw when they've both got bat to ball? Are they wearing oven gloves? They were saying that Cook should have taken more notice, but he's had his own troubles and as far as I could see (not a lip-reader, but ...) he asked them both whether they had got an edge and they both said no. It's a test match - you don't walk until you abso-bloody-lutely have to.

Oh, and well done, Alistair Cook - terrific innings and thoroughly deserved.

I think that's spot-on about Moeen, he adds a lot as a team player (and he's a decent fielder) but his individual performance levels have slipped away. When he's on form, as per the summer, he's contributing in all three areas. Fascinating next summer, with the Indians visiting England. Their batsmen can play spin but the conditions are a little bit different from Eden Gardens. As an aside, 2018 into the start of 2019 is looking fantastic, with India playing three tests in South Africa, five in England and four in Australia. I think in thirteen months time we will know a lot about who the best teams and players actually are.

The line-up you've suggested does look good but you're right about succession planning. Stoneman has been solid at county level but when Cook does retire then is he really the senior opener, with a newbie alongside him? Similarly Anderson can't have much more left in the tank and Broad, I suspect, won't be able to last as long as Jimmy has. That's the two opening bowlers gone, and if they can make it to the next Ashes it will almost certainly be the swansong.

I really like Woakes but he's not in the same league, and neither are Finn, Wood, or Ball. The youngsters who have yet to debut are by definition unproven.

As you've said, so much depends on the outcome of the Stokes case. I was taught that a genuine all-rounder is someone who would be picked as a batsman in their own right and as a bowler in their own right. In current parlance that probably means batting in the forties and bowling in the twenties, but even Garry Sobers couldn't manage that, though he wasn't far off.

The other criteria for a genuine great all-rounder is reaching 3000 runs and 300 wickets, which only eight players have achieved in the history of Test cricket. Sobers wasn't one of them though his economy rate was to die for. Of the eight who managed it, Imran Khan looks the best, highest average with the bat, one of the best bowling averages and a great economy rate although honourable mentions to Kapil Dev too, and in fairness the other six were all-time greats who could swing matches with ease for their country.

If Stokes returns I think he will reach 3000 runs with ease. If he can stay injury-free and keep form then 300 wickets wouldn't be beyond him either.

Getting back to tonight's play, the obvious question is how long Jimmy Anderson can last . After that it's poised - if you wanted anyone to kickstart an innings then it's David Warner, certainly since Adam Gilchrist retired. The pitch hasn't deteriorated too badly either. A very aggressive Australian innings sets things up for a late declaration, leaving either win or a draw as still being conceivable. For England, Anderson and Broad will be revitalised and maybe, just maybe, Moeen can find a spark. Surely Australia won't lose as many wickets to poorly-executed shots in their second innings. We shall see.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Reflecting on that last post, two things.

Unlike many other records, those achieving 3000 runs and 300 wickets hasn't been something that has increased rapidly in the last couple of decades. It suggests it is pretty true and isn't affected by the general increase in the frequency of Tests over the last twenty or thirty years. There's certainly an increase from the 1950-60s and before, but when you look at those eight players, they are spread out over a fair while and also spread across most nations - Windies absent though.

The other point was about what makes for a good all-rounder in the modern game. Batting in the forties and bowling in the twenties is asking far too much, and I think it's reasonable to be classed as a good all-rounder if you can bat in the mid-thirties or higher and bowl in the low-thirties or lower.

Nice morning's cricket so far.

England obviously laying off using Anderson and Broad in the hope that they'll get reverse swing in a while. Quite right too.

Big game for Bancroft, he has the chance here and at Sydney to cement his place alongside Warner.

England getting into bother for deliberately scuffing one side of the ball.

Got to love Test cricket.

Woakes has been looking well and been rewarded with a fine wicket, sending Bancroft's stumps all ways.

Khawaja in now, he's not had the best of series and never really convinced in the Test side.

Saying that, if Australia drop a wicket they're only bringing Steve Smith to the crease

And Khawaja can't decide on a shot and goes weakly to Anderson.

Australia are in a better place than a year ago but still have to sort out a few batting places. Bancroft is worth a bit longer as an opener IMO but Smith has to move to three and then they need to decide on a plan for the middle order. Khawaja isn't good enough to drop down, Shaun Marsh won't be there in five years time and Mitch Marsh isn't really good enough either.

I still fancy Australia for a 4-1 or 4-0 and still wouldn't rule out the 5-0, though that could change in the next hour

Regardless, Australia have a bowling unit that should see them right over the next few years. They only have two nailed-down batsmen in Warner and Smith however, and need to address that, plus decide whether they want a really strong keeper, or a decent keeper who scores runs (at the moment and for the first time in a while, they don't have someone who does both - Paine has been decent this series but I'm not sure how convincing he would play, keeping on an English greentop or a humid Indian strip).
    Last edited by Mibbes Aye; 29-12-2017 at 12:32 AM.

Gamer IDs

I see that Collingwood is quoted this morning as saying that Moeen was batting 'with a muddled mind' yesterday.

This confusion is presumably affecting his bowling.

Surely if Moeen is a valued member of the team - and at his best he's a very good player indeed - someone should be taking him under their wing and making sure he goes out knowing exactly what's expected of him. At his best he's a very effective spinner, a talented and productive batsman, a good fielder, and the sort of guy who contributes greatly to team spirit - in other words, more than worth his place in the team.

There was one series where he was working with a dedicated bowling coach - cannae remember who - getting auld - but the effect on his bowling was spectacular. Someone needs to work with him - this is no criticism, btw, I remember Brearley doing something similar for Beefy years back when Beefy had got to the point where he didn't know which end of the bat to hold - because a fully functioning Moeen's potentially good for 3 wickets and 40 runs any innings anywhere. We've seen him bowl as well as Lyons often.

No surprise the Australian press have accused JA of tampering with the ball. Total utter bollocks, of course, but it's a slow news day and their boys are under the hammer for once. They wanted a whitewash. They're not getting a whitewash, and now they're in a pet about it. There's a word for them, but I can't use it on a family forum.

Have you come across a book called 'The Bodyline Hypocrisy: Conversations with Harold Larwood' by Michael Arnold? Great wee book that puts the magnifier on THAT series - loads of interesting stuff on the Aussie press, the Aussie crowd, the Aussie players, the Slimy Snake Gubby Allan, and of course, Douglas Jardine and Harold Larwood themselves. I recommend it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...line+Hypocrisy

(Just because it's the story everyone believes doesn't mean it's the truth. )

I see that Collingwood is quoted this morning as saying that Moeen was batting 'with a muddled mind' yesterday.

This confusion is presumably affecting his bowling.

Surely if Moeen is a valued member of the team - and at his best he's a very good player indeed - someone should be taking him under their wing and making sure he goes out knowing exactly what's expected of him. At his best he's a very effective spinner, a talented and productive batsman, a good fielder, and the sort of guy who contributes greatly to team spirit - in other words, more than worth his place in the team.

There was one series where he was working with a dedicated bowling coach - cannae remember who - getting auld - but the effect on his bowling was spectacular. Someone needs to work with him - this is no criticism, btw, I remember Brearley doing something similar for Beefy years back when Beefy had got to the point where he didn't know which end of the bat to hold - because a fully functioning Moeen's potentially good for 3 wickets and 40 runs any innings anywhere. We've seen him bowl as well as Lyons often.

No surprise the Australian press have accused JA of tampering with the ball. Total utter bollocks, of course, but it's a slow news day and their boys are under the hammer for once. They wanted a whitewash. They're not getting a whitewash, and now they're in a pet about it. There's a word for them, but I can't use it on a family forum.

Have you come across a book called 'The Bodyline Hypocrisy: Conversations with Harold Larwood' by Michael Arnold? Great wee book that puts the magnifier on THAT series - loads of interesting stuff on the Aussie press, the Aussie crowd, the Aussie players, the Slimy Snake Gubby Allan, and of course, Douglas Jardine and Harold Larwood themselves. I recommend it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...line+Hypocrisy

(Just because it's the story everyone believes doesn't mean it's the truth. )
    Thanks for posting the link, I've ordered it.

Interesting fourth day's play, after Smith came in. Obviously a lot of play lost to rain but it was at times a fascinating duel between Anderson especially, and Warner and Smith. Warner clearly was playing within himself, a mature approach that reflects well on his capacity to adapt his game to the circumstances of the match and indeed the series.

Curran has shown up well too. Looks like that's one of England's next generation sorted.

And Root takes Warner. Game on. It was a very patient innings by Warner, I’d be surprised if he had scored that many runs at such a slow rate ever!

Responsibility on Smith now to see it out for a draw I guess.

And Smith does the job, what else was going to happen?

While there has been a lot of focus, rightly so, on Cook’s stats following his unbeaten 244, it’s worth acknowledging Smith’s achievements too.

Even if he is dismissed for a duck in both innings in Sydney, he will still average over 100 in the series. That’s simply outstanding and demonstrates why he is rightly seen as not just one of the top four batsmen in the world, but the pick of the bunch.

In other news, it looks like Moeen is facing the drop for the SCG. One would imagine Crane comes in. I’m not sure what the state of Overton’s injury is - if fit he probably deserves his place back, though it would be unfair if Curran was dropped, meaning Woakes probably loses out.

Gamer IDs

Thanks for posting the link, I've ordered it.

Interesting fourth day's play, after Smith came in. Obviously a lot of play lost to rain but it was at times a fascinating duel between Anderson especially, and Warner and Smith. Warner clearly was playing within himself, a mature approach that reflects well on his capacity to adapt his game to the circumstances of the match and indeed the series.

Curran has shown up well too. Looks like that's one of England's next generation sorted.

I like Curran - I've seen him a few times in T20 during the summer; he's got a big heart and while he isn't a genuine fast bowler he uses his head and mixes it up very nicely. His younger brother Sam's a useful player as well - only 19 so he has time to develop yet.

The groundsman responsible for that wicket should get his jotters. It gave neither side any chance of winning.

I think you'll enjoy the book.

In the run-up to the Sydney Test, I was reading a piece about Cameron Bancroft, referencing just how much of a step-up it is from Sheffield Shield to Test level. They had a fascinating quote from Ed Cowan, a former Australian opener who featured for a couple of years at the start of the decade. He talks about his debut series against India:

"...It is this ongoing battle that makes Test cricket like no other examination - certainly drawn far enough out that the state of its participants' minds and bodies must be exposed. Each game of the series is played on a different surface, with its individual character testing the technique and temperament of bat and ball.

"This variety provided the greatest thrill - knowing individual players held the cards of advantage in certain conditions, but seeing them have to simply make do in others. I knew Zaheer [Khan], with all his skill of wrist, would attempt to get me out lbw on the slower wickets of Sydney and Adelaide, having dragged me across my stumps before unleashing a wicked inswinger. I would be looking for any width. I knew in Perth that his natural late outswing into the wind would force him to try to take the outside edge. He knew I would be sweating on him getting too straight. Let the staring match begin, mano- -mano.

"Strangely, this intimate contest and laying bare of character took place between two people who have never spoken a word - probably never will - knew nothing about each other barring relative cricket prowess and not once recognised that the other may have succeeded. It was for others to decide the winner. A lengthy timescale in such psychological battles also allows for the pronouncement of "bunnies". I now understand how the disintegration of Daryl Cullinan by Shane Warne took place. There was simply nowhere to hide."

I thought he wrote articulately and intelligently, which led me to this article, penned by him a few years ago, about the challenges in playing Test cricket overseas. Again I was highly impressed.

He apparently wrote a diary during one of his seasons with Tasmania, which I can see myself purchasing. The reviews seem to suggest it offers more than just an account of the matches, but some real insights into the game - I suspect it may be in a similar vein to Garry Nelson's classic "Left Foot Forward: A Year in the Life of a Journeyman Footballer".

Game on (soonish). Root has chosen to bat, so a lot depends on how the Aussie bowlers go in the first session and a half, given the weather is expected to settle down.

Big game for the bowlers - Mason Crane making his debut, Tom Curran getting a second game on a different wicket, and Mitchell Starc coming back from injury. England have yet to take twenty wickets in a game, could this be the match?

Big game for the batsmen - James Vince fighting for his place, Stoneman probably safe for the NZ tour but can't be sure, and there's no shortage of England youngsters pressing for a chance.

For Australia, facing a tricky tour in South Africa, the question is whether to stick with Cam Bancroft and Usman Khawaja. Khawaja has a fundamental flaw playing right-hand bowlers coming round the wicket and he needs to address that. His overseas record doesn't come close to his home record either, though that may be less of an issue given his batting in the Ashes so far.......Bancroft is young and has been finding his way so far, and the question is whether he can translate his good first-class form into Test form. He looks to have good technique and is patient - great attributes for an opener - so I have hopes for him.

For all those batsmen, the selectors will know the pressure is on, which is no bad thing in testing their temperament at this level.

Lovely delivery from Cummins to take Stoneman and England are first wicket down - good over from him overall and a timely wicket for Australia given the pitch.

Enjoying this particular spell. Lyon showing there's something there for the spinners already, Vince showing that yes, he does know how to drive to the covers on an Australian ground

Senseless loss of his wicket by Vince. If England end up batting again (which one thinks would be likely) then he really needs a score. He had looked like he was settling but that was a real error of judgement.

I think that's Vince been dismissed by all three of the Aussie quicks now, though it's mostly been Hazlewood. They've got his number and I wonder how much Vince's confidence was affected by that run-out at the start of the series.

Fine review by Australia to find Cook plumb lbw to Hazlewood. The umpire had given it not out and the commentary box aren't happy about the pitch of the delivery, but it's a done deal now. While I'm typing, there's been a few replays and the commentary box are now accepting it's a genuine dismissal, but only by the narrowest of margins.

Big wicket for Australia and it sets up a big next hour, with two England batsmen yet to play themselves in.

Early in the first innings of the last Test but thoughts have to turn to the upcoming series. I think England are in New Zealand and Australia will be in South Africa.

For the Aussies, the questions are around the batting. The bowling unit is established, as are the back-ups. The batting is as unclear as it was before the Ashes started.

Smith and Warner are obviously nailed on. I think Bancroft is young and learning but deserves an ongoing chance and will find SAF wickets not too dissimilar to Australia. Khawjaja has had his opportunities and not really taken them. His Test record is also heavily skewed - he bats well on the Australian grounds he knows but scores at half the rate he does at home.

For me, Smith has to move up to three and probably Shaun Marsh goes to four. That allows Australia to choose two from three, maybe more, but the three I'm thinking of are Renshaw, Lehmann and Handscomb to fill five and six. You can then debate whether Cummins goes up to seven or sits lower. Paine has established himself as the keeper so he's either at seven or eight.

For England, the line-up requires a more fundamental rethink. And as Doddie posted before, that really revolves around whether Stokes is available. With him, England transform into a side with batting depth and the ability to have four attacking seamers.

Without him it opens up all sorts of decisions, though some of those are probably needing asked e.g. should Root move up to three and should Bairstow give up the gloves and move up the order.

What's interesting is that the decisions they make for their respective tours will likely influence what happens in the 2019 Ashes.

For anyone unsure about how the new ball can change a game, day one is the exemplar.

Some decent batting at times from England had them looking okay and almost certainly winning the day. Then Australia take the available new ball for the last two overs, dismiss Root and Bairstow and all of a sudden England are staring 0-4 down the throat.

The first hour of day two should be a hoot - three rampant quicks with an almost-perfect new ball, the scent of blood in their nostrils, up against the England tail.

For Australia, Hazlewood and Cummins were the picks, though Starc did ever so well given he is still probably carrying a slight strain. The ball prior to the one that dismissed Root was an absolute beauty. Can't wait to see Josh Hazlewood bowl on English pitches - I'm going to the ODI at Old Trafford in June and it's a pitch that should suit him to a tee.

For England, I think credit has to go to Dawid Malan, he's taking his chance on this tour and cemented himself in the team for now. It's been a chastening tour for Root, but at this stage it looks like he will get one more innings in search of some form of redemption.

Really looking forward to the imminent start of day two at Sydney.

We've got the tail order of England, facing Starc, Hazlewood and Cummins with what's essentially a new ball.

Should they go quickly, then we've got Australia opening with still something on offer for Broad and Anderson - with Bancroft and Khawaja perhaps needing to make their case .

Test cricket

Great delivery from Starc and a great catch from Smith to remove Malan, the last of the specialist batsmen for England.

Respect for Malan, he had a good knock and has impressed on tour.

Good chance for Curran to make his name with a partnership with Moeen. Still potential for a lot of runs.

Having just typed that, Nathan Lyon has bowled three beauties in a row.

I'm fascinated as to how Ali and Crane will bowl, once they get the chance.

Great to see Lyon bowling to Moeen Ali, with England under pressure.

That sort of dynamic sums up Test cricket at its best.

Great to see Lyon bowling to Moeen Ali, with England under pressure.

That sort of dynamic sums up Test cricket at its best.
    We were saying similar as Lyon started warming up.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Nice to see Tom Curran playing some really positive shots. He's making the most of his second opportunity to show he can contribute with the bat, prior to needing to show what he can do with the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    We were saying similar as Lyon started warming up.
    It's those individual battles within a team game, but contributing to the outcome, that makes Test cricket special.

Gamer IDs

It's those individual battles within a team game, but contributing to the outcome, that makes Test cricket special.
    Yup. I'm less dismissive of the limited-overs game than I was, but there's nothing to compare with Test cricket. Forty years I've watched it, and it never grows stale.

Except, of course when the groundsman produces a wicket like last week's at the MCG ...

I was going to say something, but I don't want to jinx anyone.

Yup. I'm less dismissive of the limited-overs game than I was, but there's nothing to compare with Test cricket. Forty years I've watched it, and it never grows stale.

Except, of course when the groundsman produces a wicket like last week's at the MCG ...

I was going to say something, but I don't want to jinx anyone.
    I'm with you. I can really enjoy the shorter versions of the game but it only takes a decently-poised Test to remind me of how wonderful five-day cricket can be.

I think the Australian tour of South Africa might throw up a couple of beauties and I hope India's tour of England might conjure up at least one compelling match.

Good reward for Cummins. That was a period of sustained pressure for Moeen Ali and while he did well, ultimately he couldn't break through. Great ball from Cummins to take the wicket.

As I type, BT are highlighting that Cummins tweaked his delivery in response to feedback from Smith in the slips. Good captaincy.

Nice stand from Curran and Broad - Broad doing his devil-may-care stuff and Curran trying to show he has batting to add to his bowling.

Proving reasonably successful so far.