hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Five-nil without a doubt.
    I’d say ‘probably’ rather than ‘without a doubt’.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by hibby6270 View Post
    Ah well. That’s the Ashes gone imo. On to Perth.
    Aussie bowlers just showing how good they are in home conditions.
    English batsmen unable to cope.
    That said, if you think of all the ‘play and miss’ shots Aussie batsmen had, were England just unlucky or are the Aussie batsmen just better at missing those balls compared to how the English batsmen play them?

Back to bed now methinks.
    I think that's the vital factor. Unless the teams are hopelessly mismatched as at the peak of Warne, McGrath, Ponting & co, then the home advantage of playing in local conditions is huge.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    I'd agree with that. Losing those last 6 wickets for 50 runs was typical England.

I don't think there's much between the batting line ups but the difference in the bowling is glaring.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    All a matter of bottle and patience as well as ability. 120 runs is only Root going on to make a decent century and Cook scoring some runs. The middle to lower order contributing as well. If the roles had been reversed Australia would have ground those runs out. England's batsmen for years, with one or two note able exceptions, struggle to stay in when the going gets tough. Battle, scratch about stay in, score slowly just don't get out playing poor/stupid shots.

I'm on 3-0 and 3-1 .. I was clearly too kind on Engerland

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IWasThere2016 View Post
    I started the thread with a prediction of 3-2 to the Aussies

I thought the Gabba would be a walkover but England would play better under the lights in Adelaide. Shows how much I know.......

I had fancied England to overturn history and get a result in Perth, but two Tests in and the difference in pace between the teams is noticeable - if the wicket at the WACA is true then Cummins is likely to hurt someone badly!
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Quote Originally Posted by hibby6270 View Post
    I’d say ‘probably’ rather than ‘without a doubt’.
    I think you are wiser than me, I was posting in pretty sleep-deprived conditions

I think it will be five though, or 4-1. Ashes games don't tend to end in draws in recent history, especially in Australia and when there have been draws recently, they were weather-related in Brisbane IIRC.

Three matches left, I expect Bancroft and Khawaja to post big scores, not necessarily in the same game (and even though I don't rate Khawaja).

Smith will remind everyone why he is one of the top four batsmen in the world and Warner will manage an explosive nick to remind everyone why he is carrying on the legacy of Adam Gilchrist.

I think Hazlewood will take a lot of wickets from here on in. Plus Cummins will quite possibly maim someone - he was getting 90+mph in Adelaide so Perth should probably be declared illegal on health and safety grounds.

For England, I think the bowling will come good at some point - Anderson and Broad have been decent so far and Woakes started to really click in Adelaide. If Overton finds his game (or Stokes returns) then there's a pace quartet that can cause problems. Batting-wise, it's a struggle. Vince doesn't convince. Cook has struggled, other than briefly showing up for the first innings in Adelaide. And Moeen has been found out by Nathan Lyon - every series usually has a bunny and it looks like Lyon has got one in Ali.

As a side prediction, I'm going to back Lyon to end up as Australia's leading wicket-taker. I don't think he will do much in Perth, but I think he will find lots of joy in Melbourne and Sydney. England's batting is massively left-handed. Ten of Lyon's eleven wickets so far have been left-handers. Starc should mop up runs at the WACA but I think Nathan can overtake him. I suspect all four will breach fifteen wickets (Starc and Lyon are just about there) and it's not impossible that all four could get twenty, which would be a massive achievement.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Quote Originally Posted by IWasThere2016 View Post
    England are pish.

I said to my Dad last night they’d get bowled out. I never thought it’d be over before I woke up this morning though!

Let’s not kid ourselves on here, Ben Stokes is a massive miss for England. He’s one of their best players. Huge loss

Quote Originally Posted by Hiberniankb View Post
    Let’s not kid ourselves on here, Ben Stokes is a massive miss for England. He’s one of their best players. Huge loss
    He is a big loss.

England rely on Cook (though he's been weak so far) and Root at bat. They then require Moeen and Stokes to bat and bowl. And then they need Anderson and Broad to bowl well. Stokes can take wickets, make big runs and score hundreds.

Australia rely on Warner and Smith at bat. After that they are weak - I'm not fond of Khawaja, Bancroft is yet to prove himself and Marsh's style is likeable but a bit flimsy. The Australian bowling is too much for England though.

Australian aggression gives them the edge. Stokes would remedy that for Engand. Australia just need one, or maybe two, good lower-order players to make them superb. I would bring Renshaw in as an opener and drop Bancroft down to the middle order. Wouldn't drop Paine, Handscomb makes way.
    Last edited by Mibbes Aye; 07-12-2017 at 12:54 AM.

It's been overshadowed by the Ben Duckett nonsense, but some interesting cricket in Perth where the England second-string are playing a young Cricket Australia XI.

Keaton Jennings, Tom Curran, Joe Clarke and Liam Livingstone were all in the runs, which augurs well for England's batting in years to come - albeit one can't judge on one innings. Nevertheless, they are young names that have been touted for a Test place for a while - and Jennings has already got a few Tests under his belt. Of them all, I like the look of Joe Clarke most. I think he might turn out to be pretty special. He's not necessarily similar to Cook or Root as a batsman but he has the same feel about him as they did, when they were breaking into the England team.

For the Aussies, the pick of the bowlers was Gabe Bell, a Tasmanian seamer. He only got his first-class debut in the Tasmanians' last Shield game of last season but was very impressive and has kept up the performance levels this season. I wouldn't be surprised to see him push himself into the selectors' consideration for the national side, at some point.

Ahead of the Third Test, Fine article by Vic Marks in The Guardian, describing what it's like to play at the WACA, particularly the weather and the pitch.

It's been overshadowed by the Ben Duckett nonsense, but some interesting cricket in Perth where the England second-string are playing a young Cricket Australia XI.

Keaton Jennings, Tom Curran, Joe Clarke and Liam Livingstone were all in the runs, which augurs well for England's batting in years to come - albeit one can't judge on one innings. Nevertheless, they are young names that have been touted for a Test place for a while - and Jennings has already got a few Tests under his belt. Of them all, I like the look of Joe Clarke most. I think he might turn out to be pretty special. He's not necessarily similar to Cook or Root as a batsman but he has the same feel about him as they did, when they were breaking into the England team.

For the Aussies, the pick of the bowlers was Gabe Bell, a Tasmanian seamer. He only got his first-class debut in the Tasmanians' last Shield game of last season but was very impressive and has kept up the performance levels this season. I wouldn't be surprised to see him push himself into the selectors' consideration for the national side, at some point.
    Match drawn after a couple of declarations set, which led to a fourth-innings run chase. Bell again was the pick of the Australian bowlers second time round. For England, Tom Curran was vital with the ball as they ensured the draw. Perhaps most importantly the match gave Mark Wood some overs and he managed to pick up a couple of wickets. I think Perth is too early for him but we may yet see him feature in the Fourth and Fifth Tests.

Ahead of the Third Test, Fine article by Vic Marks in The Guardian, describing what it's like to play at the WACA, particularly the weather and the pitch.
    Just to add to this, Geoff Lemon, who is doing the online commentary for the game tonight/this morning had this to say when linking Marks’ piece ahead of the game

“....you can read from Vic Marks, a rare cricketer in that he’s an Englishman who won a Sheffield Shield playing for Western Australia back in the mid 1980s. A wealth of knowledge lies within his bonce, and he has the uncanny ability to make it come out of his fingers”.

Nice tribute

Last edited by Mibbes Aye; 14-12-2017 at 01:02 AM.

Hazlewood’s first ball, second over, and he’s looking for a decent lbw shout.

Some nice strokes already by Stoneman. Should be an interesting duel, but I suspect he should be wary.

And Starc takes Cook plumb lbw with a 92mph delivery. What a beauty and what a big wicket, just as England were starting to put a few runs on the board.

Is Cook’s heart still in it? It’s the kind of ball he would have dealt with in the past, even at that speed.

James Vince in next, who I expect will get tested severely by Starc and Hazlewood. After that he can relax, he’s only got Cummins and Lyon to face.
    Last edited by Mibbes Aye; 14-12-2017 at 01:57 AM.

Talk about this last Waca pitch being gentler seem inaccurate

Starc and Hazlewood look to have caused physical pain with fair deliveries, and they have back-up at both ends with Cummins and Marsh.

There’s room for boundaries when there’s a misplaced ball, but as things stand, I wouldn’t fancy being kitted up for England at this point.

I’m really liking Stoneman. He’s facing some really aggressive bowling, perhaps most so from Hazlewood who on paper is the ‘least worst’ of the three main Aussie quicks.

Credit to Josh Hazlewood too, he’s good. Not just metronomic but can mix it up. Interested to see how Marsh and Cummins do, and wouldn’t be surprised if Lyon gets a bowl before lunch.

England reach fifty from four byes after Starc bounces it high enough to even get past his keeper, who was standing roughly half a mile back.

Cummins in now and has gone for runs in his first couple of balls. That’s probably not going to help England strategically.......

England sitting at 63-1

I was taught to evaluate a score by adding two wickets and seeing if it still felt decent. That would make them 3-63 in Aussie parlance on a wicket that settles down, with Root and Bairstow to come.

Not a bad start by England but another wicket, or more would change the equation.

Now turning into a handy wee partnership between Stoneman and Vince.

Run rate is the highest it has been so far for England, whilst not crazy.

Looks like Stoneman is utilising the experience he had in grade cricket in Australia.

And as I type, Vince nicks it to Paine, off Hazlewood

Time for Root to show up and convert those half-centuries into tons (still think he should do the right thing, Smith too, and bat at three).

Lunch.

Probably a balanced wicket, in that it offered something for bowler and batsman.

If Australia are to do well, then their quicks will have to exploit a pitch that looks like it will become more bat-friendly as the day goes on

If England are to do well, then they have to play more off the front foot and capitalise on those shots against what’s been a decent Aussie field so far.

For England, Stoneman has been resolute. For Australia, Hazlewood is starting to turn into the replacement for Glenn McGrath that they really need and want (though still a way to go!)

Fascinating cricket. With the add-on that England are already 0-2 down and need to win, but the Aussies don’t won’t to lose momentum by drawing, let alone losing.

There is a lot depending on this Test. I suspect it will be shaped by an individual, might be Root, might be Hazlewood, might be Smith, might even be Broad

Nicely balanced after the first session on day one.

This is now my fifteenth consecutive post on this thread. I’m either stalking myself or I should make it a blog

I will probably keep posting until I fall asleep. As an adult, the Ashes in Australia are about the closest it ever gets to being a child and staying up for Santa.

Except, being an adult, there are always consequences. No doubt I’ll still be here tomorrow night though!

Stoneman takes a tough one that seems to beat the ball from Hazlewood, getting into the helmet between the guard and the helmet itself.

Root loses his wicket very cheaply, with a simple catch down the leg side.

Australia must be feeling positive, Bairstow the only established threat yet to remain, and Cummins now bowling 90+

Cricket is a mental game, both for players and captains. Australia have established an advantage already.
    Last edited by Mibbes Aye; 14-12-2017 at 05:06 AM.

Hazlewood has stopped trying to be McGrath, he’s trying to be Curtly Ambrose.

And doing not bad at it

Big controversy about a potential Stoneman dismissal.

It’s upheld and he’s out, Bairstow in.

Expect this to be sold as a turning point, as opposed to Australia just edging closer to a whitewash

Much credit to Malan for a well-earned century. There were more than a few decent shots in there.

As for Bairstow - he should have been up the order from the start, though I believe he was/is resistant, like his captain. You can see the benefit of him getting to bat alongside specialist batsmen, rather than the tail.

Set up nicely for day 2 - I think Australia will score plenty runs on a pitch like this, as I don't think it offers much to the England attack. A lot depends on the Malan/Bairstow stand and whether the tail comes into play.

Much credit to Malan for a well-earned century. There were more than a few decent shots in there.

As for Bairstow - he should have been up the order from the start, though I believe he was/is resistant, like his captain. You can see the benefit of him getting to bat alongside specialist batsmen, rather than the tail.

Set up nicely for day 2 - I think Australia will score plenty runs on a pitch like this, as I don't think it offers much to the England attack. A lot depends on the Malan/Bairstow stand and whether the tail comes into play.
    Malan & Bairstow held up their end but the tail had a shocker. England should have been able to bat Aus out of the game from 368/4. With Smith well set now it's looking like advantage Aus again. England need to be into the Aussie tail by the time of the 2nd new ball to stand any chance I think