hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar

The 2017-18 Ashes

I'm taking the liberty of starting a thread for this

Can't wait for this series to begin. Both teams have strengths and weaknesses, and whichever side capitalises on those will win.

Selection doubts for both sides - neither team have their batting order sorted. I can't believe Root can justify not moving up to three, but then Steve Smith plays lower down as well. There's still at least one, if not more, batting places to be decided for both teams.

Bowling-wise, Australia look formidable. The loss of Pattinson must hurt, as that would have completed the quartet, along with Starc, Cummins and Hazlewood. Lyons has quietly developed into a formidable spinner and I think you have to give credit to anyone who tries to follow on from Shane Warne.

I really like England's bowling attack but a lot depends on how Broad and Woakes adapt at the Gabba and later at the WACA. I suspect Anderson will find the most at the MCG and SCG, but the series will be three matches down by then.

I'm not the type to do predictions, don't do it in football and cricket is even harder but I will go for this - and welcome anyone else's views!

First Test - Australia

Second Test - England

Third Test - England

Fourth Test - Australia

Fifth Test - Australia

No draws, I think the emergence of T20 has made definitive results more likely, though it would be a shame if we lost the classic Test draw - there's been some beauties down the year.

My dodgiest prediction IMO is Perth - I think England will bounce back from a doing at the Gabba and do the business in Adelaide. It's a pitch that maybe suits them. When it comes to the WACA, it's easy to see how they might be skittled by Starc and Cummins but also easy to see Broad and Anderson having fun.

When they go back to the east coast I can't see the Aussies dropping games.

My side-bets are Australia 5-0 and England 3-1, and it's a joy to say it's that sort of series - anything could happen!

England will miss Stokes if he doesn't make it. If it's confirmed he's not there then I'll bump up my bet on the Aussies and if he is there I'll bump up my bet on England.

Bring it on
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Can't wait for this series to begin. Both teams have strengths and weaknesses, and whichever side capitalises on those will win.

Selection doubts for both sides - neither team have their batting order sorted. I can't believe Root can justify not moving up to three, but then Steve Smith plays lower down as well. There's still at least one, if not more, batting places to be decided for both teams.

Bowling-wise, Australia look formidable. The loss of Pattinson must hurt, as that would have completed the quartet, along with Starc, Cummins and Hazlewood. Lyons has quietly developed into a formidable spinner and I think you have to give credit to anyone who tries to follow on from Shane Warne.

I really like England's bowling attack but a lot depends on how Broad and Woakes adapt at the Gabba and later at the WACA. I suspect Anderson will find the most at the MCG and SCG, but the series will be three matches down by then.

I'm not the type to do predictions, don't do it in football and cricket is even harder but I will go for this - and welcome anyone else's views!

First Test - Australia

Second Test - England

Third Test - England

Fourth Test - Australia

Fifth Test - Australia

No draws, I think the emergence of T20 has made definitive results more likely, though it would be a shame if we lost the classic Test draw - there's been some beauties down the year.

My dodgiest prediction IMO is Perth - I think England will bounce back from a doing at the Gabba and do the business in Adelaide. It's a pitch that maybe suits them. When it comes to the WACA, it's easy to see how they might be skittled by Starc and Cummins but also easy to see Broad and Anderson having fun.

My side-bets are Australia 5-0 and England 3-1, and it's a joy to say it's that sort of series - anything could happen!

England will miss Stokes if he doesn't make it. If it's confirmed he's not there then I'll bump up my bet on the Aussies and if he is there I'll bump up my bet on England.

Bring it on
    Wrong forum. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    Wrong forum. :-)
    Well spotted!

Could a kindly admin move this to "Other Sports" please?

Thanks
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar

First Test - Australia

Second Test - England

Third Test - England

Fourth Test - Australia

Fifth Test - Australia

Bring it on
    I see Finn is out injured now. As you say a lot will depend on whether Stokes makes it.

What’s the situation with Stokes? Will he play or not?

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiberniankb View Post
    What’s the situation with Stokes? Will he play or not?
    Aye Beaton only gave him a yellow at the weekend for his punch in the costa del sols :

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What date is the first test?

See it's on BT sport's too.
    Cougars!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HH81 View Post

BT Sport have an interesting team, a few new faces backed up by the likes of Michael Vaughan, Graeme Swann, Damian Fleming and Adam Gilchrist, who are all very good in different ways IMO.

I’ve got BT Sport but Test cricket is probably far and away the best sport for listening to on the radio and I would happily have settled for that. The nature of narrating the game - short description of the bowler’s delivery and the outcome, followed by a minute or so of discussion while the players get ready for the next ball - means you get these five or six minute chunks every over, where the commentators will usually focus on a particular topic, maybe related to the game itself or the selection for the next match.

They are are usually informative and entertaining, but often in a slower game they will descend in humour. Or when Henry Blofeld was commentating, a description of what bus was going past the Oval, or what a member of the crowd might be up to.

Test Match Special, on BBC Radio is the exemplar, but for anyone who hasn’t tried it, I would recommend giving ABC (the Australian BeebJ radio coverage a shot. I assume it’s accessible on the internet. Their commentators are authoritative and knowledgable and have a lot more detail on the Aussie players and their history and form, particularly at Shield and grade level. The only thing to bear in mind is that they describe the score the other way round, so 10 for 1 becomes 1 for 10.

ABC coverage is particularly suited for when the Ashes are in Australia. It really reinforces how far away it is when you are up in the small hours listening to the likes of Jim Maxwell et al dissecting the game. The downside is you don’t get the quaint BBC tradition of breaking away from TMS to go to the shipping forecast! Maybe now, in the world of Radio 5 Live Sports Extra that doesn’t happen anymore though.

The first ball of the First Test must be pretty much exactly a week and a day from now - it starts on the morning of the 23rd in Brisbane, so allowing for time difference I think that will be midnight, crossing from the Wednesday to the Thursday in the UK.

Programme on BT Sports 1 starts at 11pm on Wed 22nd. First ball bowled is due at midnight and continues through into Thursday morning for day 1.

I’ve followed cricket for years, mainly as an armchair viewer. Played a wee bit at school.

Only ever been to one first class match. Part of my bucket list. Attend a Boxing Day Test at the MCG. Was there for first 2 days in 2006. Had the privilege of seeing live Shane Warne take his 700th test wicket (Strauss as I recall). Sitting there in a near 90,000 mostly Aussie crowd proudly wearing a Scotland cricket shirt.

What I didn’t realise when we checked in to our apartment on 23rd Dec was we were staying in the same hotel as the England. I say hotel, i5 was actually a top class building of self catering apartments. Russell on Saville Street or was it Saville on Russell Street? Not sure. Think it’s changed names since then.

Anyway, it was within easy walking distance from MCG. On day 1, by the time I walked back, I arrived same time as the England team. Got in the same lift as Freddie Flintoff and Manager Duncan Fletcher. The team had had a crap day. All out for 150/160 but had taken a couple of Aussie wickets towards close. There was silence in the lift. I turns to Flintoff and ask him if he could sign my Scotland cricket shirt. He just looked at me with a face like fizz, briefly smiled, said nothing. Didn’t sign the shirt. The lift doors opened, I got out and that was that!!
    Last edited by hibby6270; 15-11-2017 at 12:39 AM.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    England won the toss and chose to bat first. They always seem to lose when batting first.
    Cook gone early, England now 16/1

United we stand here....

England going along nicely now 39/1. Vince and Stoneman playing well.

United we stand here....

Boycott is already doing my head in. I love how cricket commentators are relatively impartial with their commentary, but Boycott spoils it for me.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Boycott is already doing my head in. I love how cricket commentators are relatively impartial with their commentary, but Boycott spoils it for me.
    Plus he has a bit of bad history with women. His first stint this morning was with Alison Mitchell.
    He disagreed with most of what she said and to say he was very condescending to her is an understatement.

Hope they’re not paired up tonight.

Ah good. She’s on first with Gilchrist.

Quote Originally Posted by hibby6270 View Post
    Plus he has a bit of bad history with women. His first stint this morning was with Alison Mitchell.
    He disagreed with most of what she said and to say he was very condescending to her is an understatement.

Hope they’re not paired up tonight.

Ah good. She’s on first with Gilchrist.
    Really like Gilchrist. Non-partisan and obviously knows his stuff, plus he seems to relish just talking about the game!

Interesting start. Obviously more life in the pitch for the quicks but Malan and Moeen haven't looked shy so far.

Really like Gilchrist. Non-partisan and obviously knows his stuff, plus he seems to relish just talking about the game!

Interesting start. Obviously more life in the pitch for the quicks but Malan and Moeen haven't looked shy so far.
    You could say - test cricket being played the way it should be.
    None of the bish bash bosh ‘try and hit everything’ stuff that it sometimes descends to.
    Hope it continues in this vein.
    Last edited by hibby6270; 24-11-2017 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by hibby6270 View Post
    You could say - test cricket being played the way it should be.
    None of the bish bash bosh stuff that it sometimes descends to.
    Hope it continues in this vein.

I don't mind T20 or any limited-overs for that matter but a proper Test match, with all the variables it can offer, over five days is as good as it gets IMO.

England 59/1 at lunch. Bed time for me.

United we stand here....

Good start for England. Glad I'm off work rest of week going to watch as much as I can tonight.

Watched a few Yorkshire games this season. Good game is cricket.
    Cougars!!!

Thought overall it was England's day just.

200 up with 6 wickets in hand is a decent platform going into tonight.

350 plus needed?
    Cougars!!!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Aussie bowlers maybe have another gear or two? Pleasantly surprised by Vince.

Early days - too soon to call?

Why do drunk men have this compelling urge to render themselves total fannies in public?

https://twitter.com/abcnews/status/933621276022751233

I know - because they're men, and they're drunk. And they think nobody'll see them.

Watched up until lunch, then the rain came, so went to bed.
    First impression was, apart from the spin option of ‘Gazza’ Lyon, the pace bowlers weren’t up to much.
    Admittedly the pitch didn’t help them. You’d think being the home team, Aussies would prepare a pitch to suit them, not hinder them. English batsmen dug in to frustrate the hell out of the bowlers.
    Going to be an interesting series if it continues like this.

The pitch is slow, very slow which is unusual for the Gabba. I read that they have had unseasonable weather recently which may have had an impact.

I think the Aussie pacemen are better than they showed - they were bowling too full a length and that's where England were gathering runs. Should also be borne in mind that Stoneman and Vince have a fair bit of experience between them, in Shield and grade cricket - they may be inexperienced at Test level but they're familiar with Aussie pitches and bowlers. This undoubtedly played a part in their selection but whether that's enough to succeed when the Aussies are performing more at their peak remains to be seen.

I thought Cummins started to look better when he started going around the wicket, that's when we started to see more of a threat. All in all, it's quite finely poised, but on the basis that England's run rate is significantly less than I would expect Australia's to be and on the basis that Australia can improve their bowling by a relatively straightforward tactical adjustment, I'm giving the Aussies the slight edge at this point.

First hour or so will be critical - how Malan and Ali face up to the refreshed bowlers, on their Test debuts on Australian soil.

The pitch is slow, very slow which is unusual for the Gabba. I read that they have had unseasonable weather recently which may have had an impact.

I think the Aussie pacemen are better than they showed - they were bowling too full a length and that's where England were gathering runs. Should also be borne in mind that Stoneman and Vince have a fair bit of experience between them, in Shield and grade cricket - they may be inexperienced at Test level but they're familiar with Aussie pitches and bowlers. This undoubtedly played a part in their selection but whether that's enough to succeed when the Aussies are performing more at their peak remains to be seen.

I thought Cummins started to look better when he started going around the wicket, that's when we started to see more of a threat. All in all, it's quite finely poised, but on the basis that England's run rate is significantly less than I would expect Australia's to be and on the basis that Australia can improve their bowling by a relatively straightforward tactical adjustment, I'm giving the Aussies the slight edge at this point.

First hour or so will be critical - how Malan and Ali face up to the refreshed bowlers, on their Test debuts on Australian soil.
    We’re also at the point where we’ll see how much England are going to miss Stokes. They probably need another 200 runs, the pressure is on Ali to stick around for a bit. After that Broad needs to make a contribution with the bat.
    The pitch would suggest a draw being the most likely outcome after the first day, but if it dries up England could find themselves with an advantage.

United we stand here....

302 all out. I think that is a good score.
    Cougars!!!

302 all out. I think that is a good score.
    Yep. Better than it looked like it was going to be. Some nice unorthodox stuff from the 3 English fast bowlers.

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    They key now is whether the Aussie batsmen go on to make big scores, which the English lads didn't do. Saw a stat this morning that of 22 50s in test cricket Steve smith has gone on to 100s 20 times. Incredible.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by ACLeith View Post
    They key now is whether the Aussie batsmen go on to make big scores, which the English lads didn't do. Saw a stat this morning that of 22 50s in test cricket Steve smith has gone on to 100s 20 times. Incredible.

I don't really know why I feel this, but I think England really need to win this one - a draw won't be enough and Australia will get better. And to win this one they need to get a first-innings lead here - and not just 20-30 runs, either.

1st wicket of the 3rd day gone. 175-5.

Clever ball by Broad for Marsh's wicket.

Smith, and the stickability of his partners, are what's crucial for Australia now.

If they can manage to eke out a lead, I think their bowlers will prosper in England's second innings, the pitch is going to offer something to the quicks at least into tomorrow and Lyon looks on form.

On a side note from the match itself, for those watching on BT Sport, how good is Adam Gilchrist in the commentary box?

Barely into the third day and he's established himself as one of my most favourite commentators - intelligent, insightful, modest and self-deprecating, and completely unbiased.