hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Starc has been a bit predictable so far. I thought he was going to be the main man in this test after he got the early wicket.
    Patience

It was fair comment though, Starc was the least effective of the three seamers so far. He is quality however and will come good. His record at the other grounds is solid, Perth especially.

Interesting to see how Bairstow goes.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

2. Log in to remove the advert

It's amazing how quickly a second wicket can follow the first.

Fair reward for Nathan Lyon's hard work.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    It's amazing how quickly a second wicket can follow the first.

Fair reward for Nathan Lyon's hard work.
    We could see a few wickets tumble now.

United we stand here....

You were saying?

Peach of a ball to get rid of Woakes, who should have known better.

Was about to post that Starc is good at wrapping up the lower order but it could be Lyon in this innings.

Bairstow tripped up by the short ball, four wickets dropped now for 24 runs and we are very much in the tail-end batting-wise.

Great catch by Warner, off Starc, to dismiss Ball.

Credit to Ball for a cameo over, with three boundaries. One wicket to go.

Marsh drops Broad off Starc, at deep square leg. Chance to close the innings at under 300. England have crossed that now, which is a little psychological boost.

302 all out. I think that is a good score.
    Cougars!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HH81 View Post
    302 all out. I think that is a good score.
    Yep. Better than it looked like it was going to be. Some nice unorthodox stuff from the 3 English fast bowlers.

And Hazlewood wraps it up, getting Broad caught by Bancroft, pulling to deep square leg again. Hazlewood deserves a wicket for his hard work. England essentially collapsed after the first hour this morning.

Australia to bat now. It will be interesting to see what Anderson and Broad can conjure up, on this pitch. Also whether England will derive any advantage from having four seamers and a spinner, as opposed to Australia's three seamers and a spinner.

The talk is the pitch will harden up as the day goes on and into tomorrow. Fair weather predicted too. To an extent this won't favour Anderson and Broad, but they are both very experienced and talented bowlers and can take wickets regardless.

For Australia, Warner will be looking to make his customary high-powered start. Pressure on Bancroft as a debutant, and Khawaja who has never entirely convinced at No.3, and Marsh as the recall. I think between Warner, Smith and Handscomb, the Aussies should post well in excess of England, but Moeen will find joy in the same way that Lyon did and Jimmy Anderson seems to be defying the laws of nature by getting better when he should be phasing down, so it's all to play for!

Bancroft succumbs, after looking fairly decent in his first few overs. Clever ball by Broad and good take by Bairstow, Bancroft should learn from that dismissal.

Broad edges closer to his 400 and a combined 900 with Anderson.

So is this guy Khawaja the modern day Doug Walters?
    Plays well in Australia but not so good overseas.
    Last edited by hibby6270; 24-11-2017 at 03:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hibby6270 View Post
    So is this guy Khuwaja the modern day Doug Walters?
    Plays well in Australia but not so good overseas.
    His averages at home are exceptional.

His averages overall are easily Test standard.

His averages overseas are weaker, in England and Sri Lanka in particular.

That's got to be in context though. He's only played 25 Tests, 11 overseas, seven of which were against the aforementioned.

He's not young and if he is going to cement his place in the side then I think he needs to do it with this series. I would give him time as a tourist, as he has been playing in a transitional period and it's a big ask to bat at three. Nevertheless, like Root for England, I think Smith should be opting to bat there - they're both the best batsmen in their side by a mile and shouldn't be taking cover by batting at four.

And Moeen traps Khawaja plumb.

Bad shot decision-making, if the selectors stick with him then he has the chance to turn it around I guess.

Smith and Warner now, if Australia are going to win this Test then you've got to think it involves a decent partnership between them.

For England, a glimmer of hope.......

Why did they not review?
    Similar to Ali’s dismissal. It was given out by umpire and with it being umpires call would probably have still been out. They wouldn’t have lost a review with the new rules And you never know once the DRS kicks in.
    Or are we saying that an Aussie is playing in the true spirit of the game LOL

Quote Originally Posted by hibby6270 View Post
    Why did they not review?
    Similar to Ali’s dismissal. It was given out by umpire and with it being umpires call would probably have still been out. They wouldn’t have lost a review with the new rules And you never know once the DRS kicks in.
    Or are we saying that an Aussie is playing in the true spirit of the game LOL
    Doesn't 'umpire's call' only apply when the decision is inconclusive?

Khawaja looked plumb, so they would lose the wicket and the review.

I know the ICC changed the rules very recently so I'm not convinced I'm correct

As I'm typing, the commentators are saying Khawaja gets dismissed at an improbable rate against off-spin. I fear for his future.

Doesn't 'umpire's call' only apply when the decision is inconclusive?

Khawaja looked plumb, so they would lose the wicket and the review.

I know the ICC changed the rules very recently so I'm not convinced I'm correct

As I'm typing, the commentators are saying Khawaja gets dismissed at an improbable rate against off-spin. I fear for his future.
    Yeah. It was just earlier when Ali was given out, they said the new rules more or less meant reviewing his dismissal was kind of a free review. Even if it remained out (which it was), England didn’t lose one of their reviews as they would have under the old rules.
    It is getting late. Maybe I’ve misinterpreted what they said but it did come across as though as long as the review confirmed out and umpire originally gave it out, England didn’t lose a review.

As I type.......great catch!!

Big, big wicket for England as they take Warner, caught Malan, bowled Ball.

Pressure builds on Smith and Handscomb - who has done well since debut but is still inexperienced.

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    They key now is whether the Aussie batsmen go on to make big scores, which the English lads didn't do. Saw a stat this morning that of 22 50s in test cricket Steve smith has gone on to 100s 20 times. Incredible.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by ACLeith View Post
    They key now is whether the Aussie batsmen go on to make big scores, which the English lads didn't do. Saw a stat this morning that of 22 50s in test cricket Steve smith has gone on to 100s 20 times. Incredible.

I don't really know why I feel this, but I think England really need to win this one - a draw won't be enough and Australia will get better. And to win this one they need to get a first-innings lead here - and not just 20-30 runs, either.

1st wicket of the 3rd day gone. 175-5.

Clever ball by Broad for Marsh's wicket.

Smith, and the stickability of his partners, are what's crucial for Australia now.

If they can manage to eke out a lead, I think their bowlers will prosper in England's second innings, the pitch is going to offer something to the quicks at least into tomorrow and Lyon looks on form.

On a side note from the match itself, for those watching on BT Sport, how good is Adam Gilchrist in the commentary box?

Barely into the third day and he's established himself as one of my most favourite commentators - intelligent, insightful, modest and self-deprecating, and completely unbiased.

On a side note from the match itself, for those watching on BT Sport, how good is Adam Gilchrist in the commentary box?

Barely into the third day and he's established himself as one of my most favourite commentators - intelligent, insightful, modest and self-deprecating, and completely unbiased.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar

Was always pretty impressed with Alison Mitchells contribution on BBC radio and I think shes doing a decent job for BT. They have put a decent team and programme together, perhaps not quite as slick as Sky as yet but its very watchable/listenable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    Was always pretty impressed with Alison Mitchells contribution on BBC radio and I think shes doing a decent job for BT. They have put a decent team and programme together, perhaps not quite as slick as Sky as yet but its very watchable/listenable to me.
    I don't think I was aware of Mitchell on radio but she has been very composed in this role. The other Aussies, Ponting and Fleming, have come across well. Maybe slightly disappointed with Swann, who I felt was really good on TMS but hasn't quite matched that yet on BT.

I would agree, the slickness that Sky had isn't quite there yet, but they're doing a decent job.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    I think the new ball may have just swung this match. 7 down and everything depends on Smith now.

Anderson looks like he has an injury problem.

Cummins patiently holding down his end, allowing Smith to gradually chip away at the difference. This afternoon session will be vital for both sides.