hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    @hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    They are in for a shock. Their old manager was ridiculed by their fans for the negative hoofball he had them playing. Wait till Csaba gets his hands on them!

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough DCI Gene Hunt's Avatar
    Ah, good old Shabba, how I missed his bizarre rants in the media and Cathroesque waffling. I look forward to hearing his dribbling in the media again (and seeing United get the chop)...

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Malofeev really was a comedy character and deserves to be ridiculed in Scotland based on his performance here.

But earlier this year I read the book "Inverting the pyramid", a really heavy going book about the history of football tactics.

Malofeev gets a mention, and is credited with a lot of good work whilst working with Valery Lobsnovski at Dynami Kiev over a very long period.
    I lifted the quote about the monkeys from an article in the Guardian by Jonathan Wilson, here.

Wilson wrote "Inverting the Pyramid'. It is an intense book but massively rewarding. Wilson is a great writer about tactics and well worth the time.

You're right, Malofeev had a successful career in his homeland, though I don't think he worked with Lobnovsky at Kiev. He did play for, and manage the Soviet Union, the latter during the mid-80s when they had that fantastic team featuring Oleg Blokhin, Rinat Dasaev et al. His win rate with the USSR was 56%.

When you look into it, he comes across as genuine and sophisticated about his approach to football, which makes it all the funnier that HOMFC managed to turn him into a figure of ridicule. Looking like Lloyd Bridges in 'Airplane' didn't help either
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    Wilson wrote "Inverting the Pyramid'. It is an intense book but massively rewarding. Wilson is a great writer about tactics and well worth the time.
    I bought that book when it was recommended on here a few years ago, and found it very interesting.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Bizarre appointment, one that will fail imo. I'd be fizzing if I was was a DU supporter.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    I bought that book when it was recommended on here a few years ago, and found it very interesting.
    Yeah, it's a good read.

I have to say I found it a bit too heavy, do ended up skimming quite a lot of it, hence the reason I got a bit mixed up with the details re Mr Malofeev.

I think I'd done that thing when you're reading a tough book where you read the appendices. I think I was scanning the names for ones I recognised (long before I'd finished the book) and stumbled across Malofeev. I then read that part of the book.

I'd assumed due to his performance at Tynecastle that he was an Eastern European no-mark rustled up by Vlad.

I didn't expect him to have actually been quite competent but reduced to joke status by Hearts.

Mr loverman

Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post
    Bizarre appointment, one that will fail imo. I'd be fizzing if I was was a DU supporter.
    I looked on their forum and they're delighted.

Done well at Hearts tbh. Lasted longer than any other manager during Mad Vlad era.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    Had a good Derby record. They sold his best players and left him with *****. Seems an okay guy into the bargain.
    Not really.

Played 7, Won 1, Drew 4, Lost 2.

Most derbies back then were utter borefests between Laszlo and Mixu but we usually came out on top.