hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Bonfire night

First Team Breakthrough Xavi Hernandez's Avatar

Bonfire night

Turned into an excuse for bad behaviour. 4 cars torched in Craigentinny including one being driven into the bonfire, police officer injured in the process. In Muirhouse police pelted with fireworks and school in lasswade burnt down.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net proletariat member Pete's Avatar
    Itís probably getting worse than it has been recently but I remember it being quite bad 20-30 years ago.

I canít speak for anywhere else but all over the South and West of Edinburgh, huge pyres were allowed to develop over a matter of days. Huge piles of combustible material like mattresses, pallets etc...were piled up all over the place and I canít really imagine that sort of thing happening nowadays.

These huge fires always attracted a big crowd but chaos would undoubtedly ensue, resulting in attacks on fire crews, random firework incidents and general yobbish behaviour.

Maybe itís getting that way again.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavi Hernandez View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Turned into an excuse for bad behaviour. 4 cars torched in Craigentinny including one being driven into the bonfire, police officer injured in the process. In Muirhouse police pelted with fireworks and school in lasswade burnt down.
    I would ban the sale of fireworks. Organised displays only.

GIRLS DONT LIKE BOYS GIRLS LIKE SIMON MURRAY

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Itís probably getting worse than it has been recently but I remember it being quite bad 20-30 years ago.

I canít speak for anywhere else but all over the South and West of Edinburgh, huge pyres were allowed to develop over a matter of days. Huge piles of combustible material like mattresses, pallets etc...were piled up all over the place and I canít really imagine that sort of thing happening nowadays.

These huge fires always attracted a big crowd but chaos would undoubtedly ensue, resulting in attacks on fire crews, random firework incidents and general yobbish behaviour.

Maybe itís getting that way again.
    In one video I seen there was about 20 youths attacking the police with fireworks, one policewoman was badly burned, they were running amok in Muirhouse and Pilton, was described as a war zone the police helicopter spent a good hour in the area.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post

@hibs.net private member GlesgaeHibby's Avatar
    100% agree.

If we're going to penalise everyone by banning stuff just because neds can't behave themselves, can I vote for jogging bottoms outside the house (unless for actual sporting purposes)?

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    If we're going to penalise everyone by banning stuff just because neds can't behave themselves, can I vote for jogging bottoms outside the house (unless for actual sporting purposes)?
    You certainly can
    I stand by my call to ban fireworks from being sold though, when you see whatís happening every year, itís not worth it. At the very least there should be a tightening up of how they are sold. I was working on Sunday night and there were young kids throwing fireworks into the road from the bridge at Crewe Toll. How are these kids getting their hands on fireworks?

GIRLS DONT LIKE BOYS GIRLS LIKE SIMON MURRAY

Testimonial Due
    You certainly can
    I stand by my call to ban fireworks from being sold though, when you see whatís happening every year, itís not worth it. At the very least there should be a tightening up of how they are sold. I was working on Sunday night and there were young kids throwing fireworks into the road from the bridge at Crewe Toll. How are these kids getting their hands on fireworks?
    Probably the same way they get their hands on drugs, knives, booze, fags. All also banned - and not exactly working well.

If you think about it, it's quite amazing that fireworks are on sale in Tesco's etc in this day and age. Potentially lethal weapons and explosives!

You certainly can
    I gather the question of banning the sale of fireworks is a Westminster matter. Not so easy to get all those rampant Tories to ban anything that's good for business.

Turn the hoses on the brainless little neds