hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone remember "Irvine Jambo"?

http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index....-irvine-jambo/

I seen the above thread on sickbag last night Sounds Hilarious and on the whole I could not believe anyone with half a brain fell for it. Anyone around then?
    Last edited by andybev1; 06-11-2017 at 06:09 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andybev1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I seen the above thread on sickbag last night Sounds Hilarious and on the whole I could not believe anyone with half a brain fell for it. Anyone around then?
    Kahoonasgate!

I remember at least one poster on here who gave him a hard time about the life he claimed to have lead.

It was a long time ag0 - early 2000's I think I read - people were probably less savvy to the wierd people you can get online but I would like to think I would also see through it. A champion boxer married to a bollywood star and also a millionaire.
    Last edited by andybev1; 06-11-2017 at 06:43 AM.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    It was easy for a high grade fantasist to thrive in an environment where everyone else was just a standard grade fantasist. Things have moved on now though. Reading threads today about the megastand it's the standard grade fantasists who jump out as unusual.

I think a poster on Kickback nails the situation when he says the guy never made all his claims in one post or in a short space of time. They were gradually dropped into conversations as he spun his web of lies.

It only really got out of hand when he killed his character off and was outed. The lengths he went to to cover his tracks with fake social media profiles and so on was unbelievable.

I don't think many on here suspected 'Kahoonas' was any more than a bit of a Walter Mitty type. Certainly few would have believed he didn't even exist (which I suppose he did as he was someones 'alter ego').

On one hand it was a pretty horrible thing to do and a lot of people were genuinely saddened to hear of his 'death'. I dread to think of the consequences had infamous parachute jump gone wrong. On the other hand the guy clearly had issues and I jole he got the help he needed.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

I knew him from the TAMB (Tartan army message board), was insane people refused to consider that he wasn't genuine, the few sensible people abused for casting doubts on his far fetched stories.

This guy jumped out a plane in his memory -

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/jumpforcreag

Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    It was easy for a high grade fantasist to thrive in an environment where everyone else was just a standard grade fantasist. Things have moved on now though. Reading threads today about the megastand it's the standard grade fantasists who jump out as unusual.
    ha ha - very true

although after yesterday there was a decent amount of realists talking about the possibility of a relegation fight.

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Did someone from here not do a parachute jump to raise money for him ?
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post
    Did someone from here not do a parachute jump to raise money for him ?
    I think it was that Rubyhibee/IvanDrago muppet who reappears here now and again in the hope nobody notices the absolute pish he talks.

I think he had around 10,000 posts on Keechback too. Bizarre.

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Higgo View Post
    I think it was that Rubyhibee/IvanDrago muppet who reappears here now and again in the hope nobody notices the absolute pish he talks.

It was Quagmire who did the jump.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Higgo View Post

No him Higgo. Was someone else who still posts on here though

It’s bad patter laughing at the guy who did the jump. Heart of gold IMO.

You can understand it happening over on the Hearts forum though, trying to deflect the fact that it was one of their own who was the weirdo in all of this.

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It’s bad patter laughing at the guy who did the jump. Heart of gold IMO.

You can understand it happening over on the Hearts forum though, trying to deflect the fact that it was one of their own who was the weirdo in all of this.

The guy raised £500 for cancer research. The only positive to come out of the situation by the looks of it.

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    i jumped out of a plane for the guy...i used to be quagmire on here. i also used to be a bit more of a idiot than i am now (i hope)

also, i genuinely don't mind people laughing about it - objectively speaking, it's a pretty hilarious story
    Last edited by AgentDaleCooper; 06-11-2017 at 10:44 AM.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    I have no idea what this is about; it must have been before my time on here. Some right nutters on the internet
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentDaleCooper View Post
    i jumped out of a plane for the guy...i used to be quagmire on here. i also used to be a bit more of a idiot than i am now (i hope)

The thing is, the guy was a decent poster (even for a yam). As has been said previously, the unbelievable stuff was well dispersed over various threads, many of which I for one didn't even read. I think it was in the days before the i-spy thing was introduced, so people only read threads that caught their eye, instead of seeing all posts arriving in real time.

To be fair, although the guy obviously had issues, he wasn't dishonest in a criminal way and IIRC he eventually held up his hands when people started fundraising in his "memory".

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post

The thing is, the guy was a decent poster (even for a yam). As has been said previously, the unbelievable stuff was well dispersed over various threads, many of which I for one didn't even read. I think it was in the days before the i-spy thing was introduced, so people only read threads that caught their eye, instead of seeing all posts arriving in real time.

To be fair, although the guy obviously had issues, he wasn't dishonest in a criminal way and IIRC he eventually held up his hands when people started fundraising in his "memory".
    Was he a Jambo, or a Hibs fan pretending to be a crazy Jambo?

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    Was he a Jambo, or a Hibs fan pretending to be a crazy Jambo?
    A la Vlad and Budgey?

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post

As I touched on earlier it's easy with hindsight to say how ridiculous it all was. However at the time many didn't want to believe the worst because, as you say, he was a decent poster. He made good points, was respectful and affable and made his points articulately. There was quite a good few Hearts fans posted on here prior to and around that time who were decent guys. As the Romanov saga got more ridiculous things became a bit less friendly. Fore example I know a couple of them didn't take well to all Hearts fans being given a set signature and profile picture, which I think is a bit lacking in humour considering it was clearly a bit light hearted banter.

The message board, and general social media, culture has changed in the last decade and I'm not sure that's necessarily for the better.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Left by mutual consent!
    The charity sky dive part is hilarious 😂

Quote Originally Posted by andybev1 View Post

Bull**** detector would be ringing at successful Scottish heavyweight claims.

The original thread on Sickbag detailing the story / investigating the lies was as entertaining as anything that I've read on t'Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by IGRIGI View Post
    The charity sky dive part is hilarious 😂
    Aye, somebody putting football rivalries aside for compassionate reasons is funny right enough eh? The fact that the guy turned out to be a fantasist doesn’t help when genuine cases come calling, it all adds to the breakdown of trust.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

I claimed to be a former Window Cleaner, who gave it up and went to Uni as a Mature Student, got a First Class Honours in Computing Science, married a German, lived in Vienna and Munich for years, developing Software for Air Traffic Control & Banks, and have only recently moved back to the UK.

Now I'm beginning to doubt myself whether any of that is true and I strongly suspect I'm just some jakey living just off the Grassmarket, sniffing glue and begging a few coins off gullible punters.

Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    Now I'm beginning to doubt myself whether any of that is true and I strongly suspect I'm just some jakey living just off the Grassmarket, sniffing glue and begging a few coins off gullible punters.

You are Gary MacKay and I claim my few coins

also, i genuinely don't mind people laughing about it - objectively speaking, it's a pretty hilarious story
    It is, and it's good that you can see the funny side of it.

Nothing to be embarrassed about. You did a good deed for someone who turned out to be nuts.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar

You're the better man

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Did the media bother you at the time mate? sounds like a nightmare. I also read he did a lot of his 'work' in private messages rather than just out in the open so you built up a friendship - a bit like a episode of platonic catfish (j/k). Seriously though a lot of people were very upset so it is not as if you were alone and you come out of it looking like the decent sort you obvs are.
    Last edited by andybev1; 06-11-2017 at 03:42 PM.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    I claimed to be a former Window Cleaner, who gave it up and went to Uni as a Mature Student, got a First Class Honours in Computing Science, married a German, lived in Vienna and Munich for years, developing Software for Air Traffic Control & Banks, and have only recently moved back to the UK.

Knowing you grew up in Wallyford in the 70's my money would be on option 2.