hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Dundee United

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar

Dundee United

Seem to be taking an age to select their new manager. Yogi, McIntyre and Laszlo were all hotly picked to take over. Now Tommy Wrights’s name has come to the fore. Seems a clumsy way to go about things

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Seem to be taking an age to select their new manager. Yogi, McIntyre and Laszlo were all hotly picked to take over. Now Tommy Wrights’s name has come to the fore. Seems a clumsy way to go about things
    yes quite interesting that - big message to Yogi if the doesn't get it...they were really keen on him when he was at Caley - that Raith role has done him a lot of damage..

I fancy Wright would take it...although he might be waiting to see if the Aberdeen job becomes free

I guess it's easier for them to take their time when they are winning games..

No great rush for them now. They’re top of the league, caretaker has won 2 out of 2 and is popular with the first team squad and they don’t have a league game for 2 weeks.

Sorry but how on earth can they be linked with somebody like Tommy Wright? No chance would he ever drop down to that. They could do a lot worse than McIntyre though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by TelaStella View Post
    Sorry but how on earth can they be linked with somebody like Tommy Wright? No chance would he ever drop down to that. They could do a lot worse than McIntyre though.

Bigger club, twice the money...

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Bigger club, twice the money...
    Oh yeah I forgot Dundee Utd were a big club. That aside it still wouldn't make any sense leaving a good St Johnstone side possibly challenging for Europe (again) for a united team who will be lucky to gain promotion this season.

@hibs.net private member
    Oh yeah I forgot Dundee Utd were a big club. That aside it still wouldn't make any sense leaving a good St Johnstone side possibly challenging for Europe (again) for a united team who will be lucky to gain promotion this season.

you don't see United as a bigger club than St Johnstone?

Not saying he will go...but could see him thinking he had taken Saints as far as he could, and he might fancy being the guy who brought United back up. The ownership issues their might be a barrier though.

Of course united are a bigger club than St Johnstone ffs!!

Doubt it will happen but Wright could look at it as having taken saints as far as he can, going through a horrendous run of form and he suddenly has the chance to switch to a bigger club with a good chance of winning the league, picking up a bigger wage and not having to re-locate.

you don't see United as a bigger club than St Johnstone?

Not saying he will go...but could see him thinking he had taken Saints as far as he could, and he might fancy being the guy who brought United back up. The ownership issues their might be a barrier though.
    Honestly I'd say the two clubs are on par with one another. All United have ever had to carry them is the McLean era and apart from their recent years prior to relegation, they've never been anything special I'd say therefore I don't see why they deserve the 'big club' status. Where as the saints have gone beyond punching above their weight and are now a well established top 6 team. I understand your point regarding T Wright but think he'd be better suited with the likes of Aberdeen.

@hibs.net private member
    Honestly I'd say the two clubs are on par with one another. All United have ever had to carry them is the McLean era and apart from their recent years prior to relegation, they've never been anything special I'd say therefore I don't see why they deserve the 'big club' status. Where as the saints have gone beyond punching above their weight and are now a well established top 6 team. I understand your point regarding T Wright but think he'd be better suited with the likes of Aberdeen.

I agree around Wright - deserves a bigger job...would certainly jump at the Dons role..but no one is coming in for him - not sure why?

Don't agree on Saints V United - Despite recent success at Saints - United have much bigger fan base - different level of budget too..In Scottish terms they are a decent sized club.

I agree around Wright - deserves a bigger job...would certainly jump at the Dons role..but no one is coming in for him - not sure why?

Don't agree on Saints V United - Despite recent success at Saints - United have much bigger fan base - different level of budget too..In Scottish terms they are a decent sized club.
    He might be lucky to keep his job at StJ - 500+ mins without scoring, 5 defeats and 1 draw in last 6 games.

In the local Tayaide paper
    https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/spor...-tommy-wright/

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think that Wright has taken St Johnstone as far as he can

I would go as far as to say they are now firmly on the slide

Might be time to move on whilst his stock is still high

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenPJ View Post
    He might be lucky to keep his job at StJ - 500+ mins without scoring, 5 defeats and 1 draw in last 6 games.

noticed that - not good form..but tbh think he is very well regarded there..and rightly so...

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar

No. United are having a bad time, but they have far more potential than St Johnstone.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Dundee Utd are bigger but not so much that you'd drop down a division like a shot.

McLeish from Motherwell to hibs was a no brainer - the difference between the clubs is significant.

Tommy Wright would have to think, very carefully, about leaving a safe position at a top 6 club - to join a basket case of a club that is marginally bigger.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Tommy Wright would be a good fit for Aberdeen and I can't see him dropping a division. He might get offered the Hearts job as well.

Quote Originally Posted by NORTHERNHIBBY View Post
    Tommy Wright would be a good fit for Aberdeen and I can't see him dropping a division. He might get offered the Hearts job as well.
    Can’t see him reporting to Potter, can you

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Can’t see him reporting to Potter, can you
    Not really but something has to change there. I know that we quite rightly take the p!ss but something has to change.

Work beside St Johnstone, United and Dundee fans here in Perth. All reckon that a manager would have to be long term unemployed or have a death wish to go work for that balloon Stephen Thompson. Inherited none of his father's business acumen, grace or charm.

Sacked a manager when the team were just 2 games off top. Now struggling to source a satisfactory replacement. Considered by fans of all 3 clubs as the main cause of the Arabs' demise.