hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    @hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pacoluna View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rangers means everything to the fans - if we get beat, men go home and lash their wives. WTF
    Quality.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Quality.
    its the fact he openly says it to try and highlight the importance of Rangers and how much they meant to the support.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by pacoluna View Post
    its the fact he openly says it to try and highlight the importance of Rangers and how much they meant to the support.
    Simply the Best. No irony obviously intended in using a Tina Turner song, she’s trembling at home, waiting in trepidation on a Hun defeat for Ike to return.

I might of misheard jock stein but did he not say "no city in Europe can say they have European champions and cup winners cup champions bar Glasgow"

Considering Manchester United won the European cup in 1968 and City won the cup winners cup in 1970 2 years before oldco.

As I said I might of picked it up wrong but if I haven't for a an arrogant twat!

Not much has changed then,good to see the rangers have plenty of history of running on the parks when they get beat 40 year later still at it.

Jock Stein sounded like a twat and that Waddell fella was also a buffoon.

Waddell was a stockbroker when he stopped playing.Looked after Gordon Smith’s investments.There was far more friendship between Hibs players and Rangers players than there was with Celtic’s in the 50s probably due to the great rivalry between them and Celtic being a non event mainly.

First Team Regular scm70nyd1973's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    Compelling and repellent in equal measure.

Yes, Jimmy Reid nailed it, I felt, by musing over how there's too much pressure put on football to give people a sense of identity, particularly in huge working class areas of cities like Glasgow. It was partly to do with the filthy state Glasgow was in back then (yes, there are still vast areas of wasteland but it's had a hell of clean-up since those days), but there was something depressing about watching the utter and total dedication of their existence to the Old Firm that some of those fans had.

Out of interest, what was it like going to the old Ibrox as a Hibs fan?!
    As horrible as it gets - I lived in Glasgow so my dad would take me there with his pal and son (my pal) who were Huns - you could almost taste the hatred and suspicion from them inside the ground (and that was just from our friends !) - at the 1-1 cup game (Paddy scored and missed a sitter IIRC) I saw a Hun throwing a full can of god knows what into a Hibby’s face - at point blank range - seemed like his only crime was wearing a Hibs scarf and celebrating a goal in the correct end of the ground - good Hibs support that day though and I think it we fairly sunny too !

Thanks for posting.

14:24-15:50...........wow!

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    That’s some amount of “goading” on display at 24:30ish. I wonder how long the Barcelona police kept up the witch hunt of over-exuberant Oldco fans?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Engels74 View Post
    Thanks for posting. Jimmy Reid was such a great mind. Sadly missed in today's disproportionate world
    Agree. Jimmy Reid’s view of the world was really interesting. Imagine the press he would get today! To see Reid at his best, have a look at his speech on the rat race when he became rector of Glasgow University. Brilliant stuff and very thought provoking

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Arrogant assholes then, arrogant assholes now. Every time I see stuff like that I'm glad I'm a Hibby :aok
    This was exactly what I thought. the complete arrogance and how it still exists today even though one of them went bust and the other was only a few hours from going bust and had to be saved by a Canadian.