hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fat freddy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Budgie v Huns League Cup Semi 91

Conrad...enough said
    Hard to see past these two for games I've witnessed!

Budgie going through a pack of players to punch one away and knocking hateley about in the process.

Rough and Leighton played a few blinders as well.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RicheyWhite View Post
    Doubt there's any video of it, but Daniel Andersson from Paul Hartley free kick in 2003/2004 derby. Tipped it on to the post, and is about the only save I can remember a Hibs keeper making that they had no right to.

Andy McNeil at home to St Mirren, probably around 2008, is the best all round keeper performance.
    Was that the O'Connor last minute winner game?

Re: Lofty, was it this match?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxyrG3DzCA0

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    Andy Goram was sensational in a match at Tynecastle, think we lost 3-1 but without him God only knows what the final score would have been.
    That's the one I was thinking about, I don't know how many efforts Scott Crabbe had that day. Saved us from the ultimate Derby humiliation.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    Was that the O'Connor last minute winner game?

Re: Lofty, was it this match?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxyrG3DzCA0
    Nah, was a fairly non-descript 1-1 draw I think, OG for us and penalty for them?

That's the right McNeil game though, think there was a fire behind the Main Stand that day? Could quite easily have taken a total doing if it wasn't for him, despite being game over effectively after five minutes.

Speaking of keepers, an edit on the O'Connor game now you mention it - is the full game anywhere online, as no one seems to remember what happened a minute after he scored...

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Andy Goram would have to be near the top of the charts for us, pulled off some brilliant saves iirc, a keeper that truly did win us points

*before he became two andy gorams after signing for the orcs

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I was at the match. What I remember most is seeing Tony Higgins standing in the Hibs end. Strange how the mind works...
    I was also at that match and the thing I remember most was seeing Tommy McIntyre along side us in our car on the way home. I’m sure it was a 2-2 draw and we won on penalties.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member SouthMoroccoStu's Avatar
    I seem to remember Chris Reid having a brilliant game at Ibrox (Leighton had been sent off the week previous at Motherwell in a 1-1 draw)

Reid saved a penalty that day but the rebound was scored resulting in a 1-0 loss

Conrad Logan's performance against Dundee Utd was the ultimate goalkeeper performance.

It didn't just win us a match, it helped us to move the club forward in a way that we could have only imagined beforehand and helped us build a legacy that will last a lifetime.

If it hadn't been for Conrad's heroics that day, 21/05/16 wouldn't have been possible.

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Conrad Logan's performance against Dundee Utd was the ultimate goalkeeper performance.

It didn't just win us a match, it helped us to move the club forward in a way that we could have only imagined beforehand and helped us build a legacy that will last a lifetime.

If it hadn't been for Conrad's heroics that day, 21/05/16 wouldn't have been possible.

Not just the performance but also the significance of it and what it led to means Conrad's performance that day is the winner IMO.

He hadn't played for 14 months FFS. Legendary.

Quote Originally Posted by Shore Hibs View Post
    That's right. He was outstanding that day, without him it would been a hammering. I think in terms of performance this is the best I've seen.

However, in terms of significance, I would have to say Conrad.
    Agree with this 100%, Goram's performance that day was unbelievable and I doubt he ever played better. However Conrad's performance in the semi final will be the one that is still talked about in 100 years time.

Funny that so many others are also picking out Leighton's game at Firhill (the night he really re-ignited his career) and Budgie's in the '91 Skol Cup Semi - the way he got back on his feet to make that second save still astonishes me.

Surely has to be Conrad in the semi? I'd say not just in Hibs games but one of the all time best goalkeeping displays. Stuff of fairytales for him with what he had come through. Became a legend over a little more than 2 hours.

As per several other posters, Goram at Swincastle; if I remember rightly ( though it was a long time ago) he pulled of a double save within the first few minutes, we had just squeezed through the terrace entrance as he made those saves.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    Marciano's performance at Rugby Park got me to thinking about the best saves I've seen by a Hibs goalie.

The mind turns immediately to Logan v. Dundee Utd in the SC 2016 semi final or Budgie v. Rangers in the '91 Skol Cup semi final.

However my top 3 would be:

1. Rough vs Rangers '87

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzpDFI2v60M

2. Leighton vs Rangers '96 (purely for the pressure he was under)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iInKs5CUPYY

But the top save was...

3. McNeil vs Falkirk '08

https://hibstv.hibernianfc.co.uk/tv/video/vod/1754

Best save I've seen from a Hibs goalie.

What would your choices be?
    The game at Firhill with Leighton. A quite shocking period in our history. He was immense. To everyone else who was there that evening I doff my cap.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KingDomofFife84 View Post
    Surely has to be Conrad in the semi? I'd say not just in Hibs games but one of the all time best goalkeeping displays. Stuff of fairytales for him with what he had come through. Became a legend over a little more than 2 hours.
    In terms of quality goalkeeping I don't think I will ever see a better display than Andy Goram at Tynecastle that day.

However in terms of importance to Hibs then Conrad's goalkeeping display will take some beating, as you say it was fairytale stuff.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Alan Rough in a 1-1 draw at Ibrox. Eddie May scored and there was a firework let off in the Hibs end which was on the main stand for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by West lower View Post
    The game at Firhill with Leighton. A quite shocking period in our history. He was immense. To everyone else who was there that evening I doff my cap.
    Don't see how you reckon it was a shocking period in our history, we had won the League Cup two years earlier and went on to the final that season. Can think of much worse shocking periods in our history.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kojock View Post
    Remember at Tynie when he caught his studs in the turf and fell over gifting Hear7s a goal. After that he was as you say sensational however we still lost 1-0
    That was Rough that caught his studs in the turf not Goram iirc...

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    Don't see how you reckon it was a shocking period in our history, we had won the League Cup two years earlier and went on to the final that season. Can think of much worse shocking periods in our history.
    That season was brutal to watch. Watching Hibs away at that point was hard work. Saying it was good coz we won the league cup 2 years previous doesn’t make that eye bleeding football ok. I rate Alex Miller so not knocking him. The viewing was just ****.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RicheyWhite View Post
    Nah, was a fairly non-descript 1-1 draw I think, OG for us and penalty for them?

That's the right McNeil game though, think there was a fire behind the Main Stand that day? Could quite easily have taken a total doing if it wasn't for him, despite being game over effectively after five minutes.

Speaking of keepers, an edit on the O'Connor game now you mention it - is the full game anywhere online, as no one seems to remember what happened a minute after he scored...
    The one you're thinking of was the game when Riordan scored the screamer into Craig Gordon I'm sure

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    That season was brutal to watch. Watching Hibs away at that point was hard work. Saying it was good coz we won the league cup 2 years previous doesn’t make that eye bleeding football ok. I rate Alex Miller so not knocking him. The viewing was just ****.
    Let's be honest most of the Miller years were brutal to watch. Yup he won a cup and occasionally put out half decent teams but by and large it was perpetual mediocrity with a garbage Derby record.

As for best keeper performances...Conrad or Goram at Tynie for me.

I never found it that bad to be honest. Darren Jackson, Michael O'Neill, Keith Wright and Kevin McAllister weren't that bad to watch.

Five years later I found it a lot harder to enjoy away games.

Quote Originally Posted by My_Wife_Camille View Post
    The one you're thinking of was the game when Riordan scored the screamer into Craig Gordon I'm sure
    Could well have been, most of the derbies during those two years were turgid rubbish on both sides - bar the odd wonder goal - and kinda merge into one.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanyman View Post
    I'm going for Williams Vs Aberdeen
    Has to be up there.

https://youtu.be/BX6uPTPd_m8

Most saves from 8 mins onwards.....

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I remember a game at Pittodrie where we won 1-0 (an Akpo Sodje goal IIRC) our keeper making a point blank save from two yards out. I think it was Mark Brown in goals. Cracking reaction save.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Park View Post
    Has to be up there.

https://youtu.be/BX6uPTPd_m8

Most saves from 8 mins onwards.....
    Butcher and Marsella ruined Williams. Before they arrived he was up there with the best keepers in the league, after that not so much. A penalty shootout with Williams and Logan as the keepers could be very interesting!

I've actually got the top he wore at his press conference when he was signed, won a Hibernian TV competition. Keep it alongside my shirt from Ian Murray's testimonial signed by Viera and Pires.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Butcher and Marsella ruined Williams. Before they arrived he was up there with the best keepers in the league, after that not so much. A penalty shootout with Williams and Logan as the keepers could be very interesting!

I've actually got the top he wore at his press conference when he was signed, won a Hibernian TV competition. Keep it alongside my shirt from Ian Murray's testimonial signed by Viera and Pires.
    Aye Willams had some brilliant games that first season.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    Alan Rough in a 1-1 draw at Ibrox. Eddie May scored and there was a firework let off in the Hibs end which was on the main stand for some reason.
    i remember that game, it was the week after Clydebank had emptied us out the cup; the firework got caught between the anti pidgeon netting and the roof above us and was shooting around off the metal supports.

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    Would’ve given Conrad a 5 year contract for that performance alone. Considering the context - the gravity of the game coupled with the sceptical reaction to Logan prior to the game starting - it was just completely out of the blue and like something straight out of a movie. Incredible, unforgettable performance.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergus52 View Post
    Simon brown in the ibrox 3-0 cup game.

He was often maligned, and rightly so, but that day he was immense

That's the one I thought of - one shot in particular he turned over the crossbar - amazing.

I suppose it sticks in the mind for its rarity value ...

Logan v United.

Who else thought we were ****ed when someone got sent off or something in the previous round resulting in a fat temp being flung in?

The beauty is that we forget about the other crap games where he did **** all (the final) or chucked goals in (the league).

That game against United was perfect from start to finish...and meant so much.

Legend and our best ever keeper as far as I'm concerned.