hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cairns Bar

Quote Originally Posted by eastterrace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes it was the regent and it was a s***hole as you said. Also mind cats pyjamas went there a few times

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Did jimmy boyle (sence of freedom) not complain about the noise and got the place shut down

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by 147lothian View Post
    If my memory serves me right the Cats Pyjamas was the Astoria up the hill from Cairns, the Astoria did a lot of punk gigs in the late 70's early 80's the Regent which is still there and at the top of the hill on the corner was a very different establishment, back then it was a ****hole unofficial rock bar.

If you go up Abbymount the student flats you see on the right are where the Astoria / Cats Pyjamas was
    Yeah The Astoria was a good place late 70's for gigs - amongst others, saw The Fall, Aswad (when they were a real reggae band), a very young Simple Minds long before they became stadia pomp p!sh, and the ever brilliant Magazine, there.

A lot going on in that little area at that time given the posts on this thread..

Trying to get my head round this.

If you go up Abbeymount, this was all on you right hand side, where the Nissan garage used to be and what’s now student flats?

Left by mutual consent!
    If my memory serves me right the Cats Pyjamas was the Astoria up the hill from Cairns, the Astoria did a lot of punk gigs in the late 70's early 80's the Regent which is still there and at the top of the hill on the corner was a very different establishment, back then it was a ****hole unofficial rock bar.

If you go up Abbymount the student flats you see on the right are where the Astoria / Cats Pyjamas was

It was around the mid to late eighties my mates and I first went along to the Cats Pyjamas which was by then a disco with Mel and Kim's 'Respectable' and Curiosity Killed the Cat's 'Down to Earth' being played a lot so would have been around 1986/87. Sounds like a big change from the Astoria!

GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Trying to get my head round this.

If you go up Abbeymount, this was all on you right hand side, where the Nissan garage used to be and what’s now student flats?
    If you start at The Regent on the left walking down - The Astoria would be just a few doors down on the left where The Nissan is now, walk further down and directly under the bridge on the left would be the entrance to Cairns Bar attached to Youngers Brewery - and opposite in that old disused building on the other side of the bridge would be The Armenian Monastery In Exile restaurant. (I think..!)

Quote Originally Posted by Roxyhibee View Post
    If you start at The Regent on the left walking down - The Astoria would be just a few doors down on the left where The Nissan is now, walk further down and directly under the bridge on the left would be the entrance to Cairns Bar attached to Youngers Brewery - and opposite in that old disused building on the other side of the bridge would be The Armenian Monastery In Exile restaurant. (I think..!)
    Cheers 👍🏼

@hibs.net private member
    Yeah The Astoria was a good place late 70's for gigs - amongst others, saw The Fall, Aswad (when they were a real reggae band), a very young Simple Minds long before they became stadia pomp p!sh, and the ever brilliant Magazine, there.

A lot going on in that little area at that time given the posts on this thread..
    God that brings back some good memories I was probably at the same Magazine gig, I also remember seeing Crass there and the uk subs supported by the Cockney Rejects, im sure that was 1980. I also saw Magazine more recently at the picture house still as brilliant

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leith's finest View Post
    Did jimmy boyle (sence of freedom) not complain about the noise and got the place shut down
    Nah. Jimmy Boyle once entertained The Clash on his door step. Busking Tour around 84.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsk View Post
    A photograph of the Regent cinema.

http://www.scottishcinemas.org.uk/edinburgh/regent.html

This really does do it justice.
    I saw my first ever film there in 1960 - The Magnificent Seven. Quite appropriate for a future Hibby!

Left by mutual consent! IlDiavola's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    The Berry Suite was in Abbey Lane
    Ah right, ok thanks.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Braehouse.jpg

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    God that brings back some good memories I was probably at the same Magazine gig, I also remember seeing Crass there and the uk subs supported by the Cockney Rejects, im sure that was 1980. I also saw Magazine more recently at the picture house still as brilliant
    Marvellous stuff. I produced a zine called Feed The Enemy for a while. Seen the UK Subs about a dozen times too. This is entirely un-Hibernian related!

Left by mutual consent!
    Heading home with my mate from the victory against them last Tuesday, we drove under the railway bridge at Abbeymount and I recalled a bar my dad took me to as a teenager (I must have been about 16) in the mid 70's which I'm sure was called Cairns Bar - owned by Pat Stanton.?

I thought the door to it was directly under the bridge, but looking at the structure now, it doesn't seem possible.

Can anyone shed some light on its Sir Paddy history - or even a photo.?

Cheers in advance.
    This was one of my auld man's last boozers before heading home to the Horse Wynd. We stayed in the brewery tenements at 8 horse wynd, and he would always start out at the Lord Darnley, at the foot of the Canongate, before making his way to the holy ground. Cairn's was always a good wee boozer for the last pint before last orders at 9.50

One of my mates worked behind the bar when Pat had it.

Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    Yeah, sorry.! There's no Nissan garage there now.! God knows how long ago that was knocked down..