hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar

Saturday night City centre

Obviously Ive done a City center night out many times. My brother is coming up with me this weekend for the Dundee game (he usually makes 2 or 3 or 4 matches a season) and we're planning a few drinks in the town center, anyone got any recommendations for pubs/bars? Maybe somewhere a little different, both like ale but doesn't have to be an alehouse. We'll be heading to the Bow Bar for sure (a favourite of ours) and plan on calling in on the Half way House (brother loves the quirkiness of it) but was he unaware of the Jinglin Geordie and its Hibs/George Best connections next door so thats also on the tick list. Anything else close by worth a look? We've done Rose Street many times. Eating wise theres a good chance it will be an Indian are we better moving back to Leith (where we will be staying) or staying in the City Centre? Again any recommendations gratefully receieved.

Cheers fellas

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Obviously Ive done a City center night out many times. My brother is coming up with me this weekend for the Dundee game (he usually makes 2 or 3 or 4 matches a season) and we're planning a few drinks in the town center, anyone got any recommendations for pubs/bars? Maybe somewhere a little different, both like ale but doesn't have to be an alehouse. We'll be heading to the Bow Bar for sure (a favourite of ours) and plan on calling in on the Half way House (brother loves the quirkiness of it) but was he unaware of the Jinglin Geordie and its Hibs/George Best connections next door so thats also on the tick list. Anything else close by worth a look? We've done Rose Street many times. Eating wise theres a good chance it will be an Indian are we better moving back to Leith (where we will be staying) or staying in the City Centre? Again any recommendations gratefully receieved.

Cheers fellas

Its been a good few years since I've been out and about on the pub scene in Edinburgh as now slippers and tipple in the house with family. However I always enjoyed Rose Streets - Milnes Bar and Guildford Arms, Standing Order - George Street, Cask and Barrel - Broughton Street, Sandy Bells - Forrest Road to name but a few decent pubs that I used to pop into now and then for a few ales.

The jolly judge is worth a visit if you've not been there. Just tucked off the Royal Mile, 5 minutes from the bow bar. Its small and busy, but due to being of the main street its not as much of a tourist trap as others in the area. Mix of cask and keg stuff and usually decent beers such as from tempest.

If you head back to Leith the Steel Coulson tap has recently opened on Henderson Street. I've not been myself yet but it looks decent. It seems to have a tie in with a brewery from Bristol with around 8 keg and 8 cask lines, so you would probably be sorted for ales.

I always enjoy a pint in The Hebrides on Market Street. Old fashioned, no nonsense pub. Also the Royal Oak on Infirmary Street, maybe just beyond the 'real' city centre but another old school pub and likely to be a decent folk band on. Bonus is if you are set on a curry the superb Mother India is just next door.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I always enjoy a pint in The Hebrides on Market Street. Old fashioned, no nonsense pub. Also the Royal Oak on Infirmary Street, maybe just beyond the 'real' city centre but another old school pub and likely to be a decent folk band on. Bonus is if you are set on a curry the superb Mother India is just next door.
    Great shout. I had some good nights in there a good number of years ago watching Andy Chung belt out some well known Scottish folk songs.

http://www.andychung.co.uk/mac-chung.html

Much appreciated fellas, I know where the Hebrides is but never been in, think it might be on the list now.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Dishoom on St Andrews Square is superb for Indian food.

Bennets next to the Kings Theatre is a lovely pub.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Dishoom on St Andrews Square is superb for Indian food.
    Aye, and he's never won a derby in maroon.

First Team Breakthrough
    Guildford always has a great selection of ales.

Often at least one person supplying live music too. Have been nipping in there quite a few times due to it being handy before getting on the last train home, but only recently found out it was the Hebrides I've been going in

Thomsons on Morrison Street is a decent real ale pub, plenty decent eateries within walking distance too.

First Team Breakthrough Neil4Hibs's Avatar
    Love the Heb, also the Malt Shovel just round the corner on Cockburn Street, good ales!

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    I was in the Mitre for the first time in a couple of years on Friday. A decent pub with good selection of ales. The Abbotsford used to be my regular haunt for years when Colin had it.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil4Hibs View Post
    Love the Heb, also the Malt Shovel just round the corner on Cockburn Street, good ales!
    Ah, the Hebridean Embassy! Many's the night (and day) that I can't remember spending in there.

In the end we did the Bow Bar, the Jinglin geordie (caught up with the usual crew from lancs/Cumbria), the half way house, the Hebrides (good shout fellas never been there before) the Spoons that used to be the ticket office (ate there) then onto the Guildford. Pre match spent in Robbies and the Bier hoos. breakfast in Nobles on sunday, Hibs win , great weekend