hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The BBC in Scotland needs totally overhauled. In the other parts of the UK their headquarters are in the capital cities; London, Cardiff and Belfast, but somehow in Scotland the capital city is overlooked in favour of Glasgow. The effect is that BBC Scotland is West Coast centric and none more so than in their football coverage, which is a total joke.

I still haven't got over the BBC's disgraceful, unbalanced coverage of the 2014 independence referendum. So biased in favour of the 'No' camp it was unreal.
    Simple answer, the BBC and national stdium in Edinburgh!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Ryan91's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinribs View Post
    Didn't we get the England game live while Scotland's most important game in years wasn't shown? I don't really follow international stuff anymore, but it did strike me as odd.
    The SFA sold the rights to Scotland games to Sky. I believe the English FA gave the rights to England games to ITV.

STV had a fair bit of coverage from the game on their 6pm programme, which is Edinburgh-based.

Quote Originally Posted by ian cruise View Post
    Interestingly your two point are contradictory. You complain that the BBC is West coast centric, implying they pander to Glasgow and the surrounding areas but also that you can't forgive the coverage of the 2014 referendum coverage however 4 regions voted No, 3 of which were in the west coast (Glasgow, North Lanarkshire and West Dumbartonshire).

I actually don't find the coverage to have a massive west coast bias, I live in Glasgow area and I find I get as much info about the rest of the country as I do the local area. Yes there is more coverage for the two Glasgow teams but that just pandering to their larger fan bases, much of which isn't based in Glasgow either. Just look at the swathes of buses that travel from around the country every weekend to watch them. I'm not saying it right teams outside of the old firm don't get coverage obviously, I was as frustrated as anyone as I couldn't make the game last night but I don't think it's West coast bias that caused that, just lazy journalism which is endemic throughout our media.

Thanks again to HibbyKeith for saving the day with matchb updates though.
    Glasgow voted Yes overwhelmingly, not No as you said, but I know what you're saying and agree with most of it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan91 View Post
    The SFA sold the rights to Scotland games to Sky. I believe the English FA gave the rights to England games to ITV.
    Ah, fair enough. They did seem to find the money to do a last minute deal to show the under 17 world cup final recently, I think BT/ESPN had the rights to that.

I watch American football occasionally and did notice the coverage the bbc are giving to that due to nfl games in London is quite substantial, for example the studio set up for their highlights show is pretty lush with big analysis screen and such.
    It did make me wonder, It would be great to see what portion of the bbc budget is being spent on scottish football and compare it to that of other foreign or minority sports.
    and it wouldn't surprise me if the coverage of our national game in scotland is lower in the food chain than that of american egg chasing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan91 View Post
    No. Eufa sold them. Sfa and fa have almost nothing to do with it.

Gary Liniker gets paid more than the whole Scottish football budget at BBC.
    Does anyone really think that is fair, nothing against Gary btw.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by norhfc View Post
    Gary Liniker gets paid more than the whole Scottish football budget at BBC.
    Does anyone really think that is fair, nothing against Gary btw.
    I know GL gets about £2m.

What's the BBC's budget?

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by norhfc View Post
    Thanks.

That £1m is the cost of the rights for SPFL games.

You have to factor in the costs of the SFA games as well.

And the BBC's production costs. (Kris Boyd eats a lot)

Still very low, though. But it has to be said that it's not all the BBC's fault. You have to look at the SPFL and SFA as well; they're an active part of the negotiating process.
    Last edited by CropleyWasGod; 02-11-2017 at 02:29 PM.

@hibs.net private member MrSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    Including Forfar and Peterhead supporters. Do you think they get hung up on whether someone reading an autocue mentions them or not?
    The BBC needs to deliver an appropriate service to every area where an individual pays for their licence fee. Right now, they fail in delivering this.

https://lenathehyena.wordpress.com/2...-labour-party/
    Last edited by MrSmith; 02-11-2017 at 02:21 PM.