hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    @hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In your world possibly, but please don't try and project your personal standards on to others.

Many would prefer his standards to yours. Your reference to an entire group professional women is a disgrace. Your attendance at many xmas nights out wouldnt be required imo

2. Log in to remove the advert

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. S View Post
    Many would prefer his standards to yours. Your reference to an entire group professional women is a disgrace. Your attendance at many xmas nights out wouldnt be required imo
    I didn't mention an entire group of professional woman, only about 300 of them. The boys are just as bad by the way if not worse. Going by the description of most of the Xmas bashes on this thread it sounds like I wouldn't be missing much anyway.

Surprised how many people on here saying they don't go on work nights out, especially xmas. The 2 xmas nights out I went on in the previous office, and the 2 recent nights out I've had in the current office, have been a great laugh. Love a wee Friday jaunt to the pub with colleagues.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frazeHFC View Post
    Surprised how many people on here saying they don't go on work nights out, especially xmas. The 2 xmas nights out I went on in the previous office, and the 2 recent nights out I've had in the current office, have been a great laugh. Love a wee Friday jaunt to the pub with colleagues.
    Yes I agree, I often enjoy work night outs and they are far from the stereotypical descriptions thrown about on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Yes I agree, I often enjoy work night outs and they are far from the stereotypical descriptions thrown about on here.
    I suppose I'm lucky to have done jobs where my workmates became friends too. We used to go for drinks at the end of shifts and the office party was always good. It was a bit "last century" as someone has said but I don't think anyone got harassed except the bosses who had to put up with some stick occasionally!

I've avoided them for a few years now, more because I'd rather spend the energy on something else. Since I had my wee boy who is now 4 I don't really do big drinking, at Christmas or any other time. Firstly cos I don't want him to see me drunk and breathing beer fumes in his face when I stagger home, and secondly cos you need your wits about you when there is a kid in the house! (Also, the thought of being woken by him at about 6.00 am whilst hungover doesn't bear thinking about).

There's only 1 "do" I specifically avoided and that was one in Auckland, where they were having lunch & drinks (lots of drinks) on a boat cruise in the harbour. The thought of being stuck on a boat with drunk idiots didn't really appeal. At least if it's in the pub you can go home, but on a boat you're stuck there unless you fancy swimming for shore.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mixu62 View Post
    I've avoided them for a few years now, more because I'd rather spend the energy on something else. Since I had my wee boy who is now 4 I don't really do big drinking, at Christmas or any other time. Firstly cos I don't want him to see me drunk and breathing beer fumes in his face when I stagger home, and secondly cos you need your wits about you when there is a kid in the house! (Also, the thought of being woken by him at about 6.00 am whilst hungover doesn't bear thinking about).

There's only 1 "do" I specifically avoided and that was one in Auckland, where they were having lunch & drinks (lots of drinks) on a boat cruise in the harbour. The thought of being stuck on a boat with drunk idiots didn't really appeal. At least if it's in the pub you can go home, but on a boat you're stuck there unless you fancy swimming for shore.
    I’m in a similar position to yourself, the only other thing I’d add is the cost.

For me the cost of living has spiralled out of control so much the most I could afford would be one night out a month. I’m not against a works night out and sometimes it’s nice to see people in a different light but if it comes to a choice, of course I’d rather have the Christmas night out with mates.

You might be right but comparing someone you don't know (even in jest) to a prolific sex offender is a risky attempt at humour that probably wouldn't be made face to face. I'm a strong believer that you should say anything on the net that you wouldn't do in the real world.

I could get you an invite but only as my partner
    A prolific sex offender who hasn’t yet been convicted of a single offence...

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    Was Jimmy Saville ever convicted?

Off the top of my head he wasn't yet I doubt anyone would have a problem calling him a prolific sex offender. Sometimes its irrelevent if there's no convictions. Even a minority with convictions are actually innocent. Miscarriages of justice do happen. Not everything is as black and white as its sometimes made out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    Technically you are of course correct, I should have used the word "alleged".

Quote Originally Posted by lgnsh70 View Post

Off the top of my head he wasn't yet I doubt anyone would have a problem calling him a prolific sex offender. Sometimes its irrelevent if there's no convictions. Even a minority with convictions are actually innocent. Miscarriages of justice do happen. Not everything is as black and white as its sometimes made out to be.

Add to that there are people walking the streets only because they are capable of buying their justice.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    I'm surprised at the amount of hate towards a wee Christmas doo. We have an office wide one which is usually a good laugh, food is usually a bit of a let down but I don't know where would serve up decent food for 300+ people (definitely not Ghillie Dhu I learned 2 years ago ). Free food and drink after an early finish one Thursday isn't something I find easy to argue with.

Separately, I organise a "year group" one with the people who joined at the same time as me - it's a fair bit smaller so usually get to a bit of a nicer place.

Maybe it all depends on who you work with and how well you get on with them. A lot of my best friends are/were work colleagues, and after work drinks are a fairly common occurrence - impromptu, or company organised.
    Mon the Hibs.

Left by mutual consent!

Add to that there are people walking the streets only because they are capable of buying their justice.

Exactly.

GGTTH

I'm self employed and work by myself 95% of the time so my works night out is a carry out down the park on my own 😞.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    I'm self employed and work by myself 95% of the time so my works night out is a carry out down the park on my own 😞.
    On the plus side, nobody's going to accuse you of sexual harrassment.

(unless of course, you drink too much in the park and get frisky with yourself.......)

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Office parties are great. Plenty of scope for embarrassing behaviour. Step right up and get your erse photocopied.

Like this guy.

https://youtu.be/VCM2DC2k8Cw

Quote Originally Posted by lgnsh70 View Post

You can't convict dead people, so no. The evidence against him in the end was overwhelming, so it is assumed that he was guilty of a large amount of what he was accused of, if not all of it.

It's a bit different when someone is alive.

Although Weinstein seems to have admitted to certain things, I'm not clear if he's actually admitted guilt to ALL of the things he's being accused of.

Anyway, going off track a bit. FWIW, I think the 'joke' was just a bit of black humour. There is a difference between that, and mocking victims of sexual abuse.