hibs.net Messageboard

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920
    Quote Originally Posted by ehf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That statement is truly a thing of wonder and beauty; it is so lacking in class and dignity as to defy belief.

It is kindergarten level at best:

Child A invites Child B (most popular in class) to his 3rd birthday party and tells the whole class Child B will be coming.

Child B declines the invite.

Child A releases a statement saying Child B is horrible and smelly and I never wanted him to come to my party anyway.

The best thing is that any half-decent managers out there that might have had lingering thoughts of taking the job will run a mile now.
    Post of the year. 😂

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member JohnMcM's Avatar
    DM Sportsound now.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyM_1875 View Post
    Also worth remembering that Eddie Turnbull knocked them back as well.

Not sure if he was Aberdeen or Hibs manager at the time but the great man informed Rangers directors in his usual style that he would not be dictated to as to who he could sign and that a player's family background or schooling was irrelevant. Any football director attempting to veto his signings could pick how they left the room, either by the door or through the window.

I believe that the meeting was over at that point.
    Aberdeen manager. I think Turnbull said that he would have gone and had talks where he highlighted the above views. They clearly were never suited for each other.

@hibs.net private member proud_and_green's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Famous Fiver View Post
    What is it they say?

If you look like an idiot don't open your big gob and confirm it.

Advice a certain gentleman at The Rangers FC would have done well to heed.
    It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt

Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Caversham Green View Post
    IIRC Souness was the third choice who actually took the job.

I also remember hearing that McLean's assistant was gutted when Jim knocked them back - anyone remember the assistant's name?
    Ferguson and McLean turned down the job in 1983 after John Greig left - they ended up giving the job back to Wallace. Souness got the job in 1986, and was their prime target. It was a big coup at the time.

They have a random poem on bears den from the vanguard bears implying that McInnes wasn't to take Doherty with him. Strange folk

Quote Originally Posted by Superfurry72 View Post
    Ferguson and McLean turned down the job in 1983 after John Greig left - they ended up giving the job back to Wallace. Souness got the job in 1986, and was their prime target. It was a big coup at the time.
    I stand corrected.

Strange though, I'm sure I remember dismissing Souness as their third choice at the time - maybe we only regarded Wallace as a caretaker type manager.

That's PP online paid out on my Murty bet.

Nice wee bonus

Quote Originally Posted by RagingReality View Post
    This has come off great for us.

Aberdeen have been totally destabilised by this and will take a while to recover.

Rangers STILL don't have a manager and the uncertainty is reflected on the pitch. It's clear they have no game plan.

We simply HAVE to take advantage of this by beating the pair of them in the coming weeks.
    I'd like to see us draw both games 1-1 after conceding a soft late goal and squandering many chances.

Quote Originally Posted by Caversham Green View Post
    I stand corrected.

Strange though, I'm sure I remember dismissing Souness as their third choice at the time - maybe we only regarded Wallace as a caretaker type manager.
    I see what you mean - it’s fairly clear they would definitely have gone for Ferguson in an ideal world. By that time he had already turned them down, probably made it quite clear he wanted to manage in England and was also caretaker Scotland boss!

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfurry72 View Post
    I see what you mean - it’s fairly clear they would definitely have gone for Ferguson in an ideal world. By that time he had already turned them down, probably made it quite clear he wanted to manage in England and was also caretaker Scotland boss!
    IIRC, as a player, Rangers tried to ruin Fergie's career by demoting him to the 3rd team because he got married to a 'non-Rangers' person. I don't think he ever forgave them for that. Probably the main reason he never went to Ibrox as a manager (however, that's just my assumption).
    Apparently, while at Man United he had a sign on his office door that said "I'm fi' Govan"

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavinho View Post
    That's PP online paid out on my Murty bet.

Nice wee bonus
    Me too!

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Cat Stanton View Post
    If they want a successful, Scottish manager, one who knows the game up here and has a track record of winning trophies, then there is an obvious candidate. And yet, weirdly, they seem to ignore Neil Lennon....

Well, Lennon appears to have rectified that somewhat. I'm not very impressed with this.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/1948271/neil-lennon-derek-mcinnes-rangers-aberdeen-ibrox-job/

McInnes was*Gers’*No 1 choice for the job but he shocked everyone by electing to stay at Pittodrie.

And*Hibees*gaffer Lenny admits he was surprised at Del’s decision.

He told BT Sport: “I’m very surprised Derek has turned it down. There must be real mitigating circumstances for him to do that.

Del decided to stay at Dons

“It’s a sign of the times that Rangers can’t lure another manager from another Scottish club, apart from Celtic obviously.

“I don’t know. For me it’s the second-biggest club in Scotland, one of the biggest in Britain.

And asked by Chris Sutton if he would have turned down the job in Del’s position, Lennon said: “No, that’s my honest opinion.

“You look at what the board did for Caixinha in the summer – they gave him ten or eleven million to spend. There is no one else who has that power apart from Celtic.

“I think they backed Caixinha. OK it’s not worked out for him. But someone coming in there now, Rangers sitting in second place, I think it’s good time to go in there and be the manager.”

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by McHibby View Post
    Well, Lennon appears to have rectified that somewhat. I'm not very impressed with this.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/spo...een-ibrox-job/

McInnes was*Gers’*No 1 choice for the job but he shocked everyone by electing to stay at Pittodrie.

And*Hibees*gaffer Lenny admits he was surprised at Del’s decision.

He told BT Sport: “I’m very surprised Derek has turned it down. There must be real mitigating circumstances for him to do that.

Del decided to stay at Dons

“It’s a sign of the times that Rangers can’t lure another manager from another Scottish club, apart from Celtic obviously.

“I don’t know. For me it’s the second-biggest club in Scotland, one of the biggest in Britain.

And asked by Chris Sutton if he would have turned down the job in Del’s position, Lennon said: “No, that’s my honest opinion.

“You look at what the board did for Caixinha in the summer – they gave him ten or eleven million to spend. There is no one else who has that power apart from Celtic.

“I think they backed Caixinha. OK it’s not worked out for him. But someone coming in there now, Rangers sitting in second place, I think it’s good time to go in there and be the manager.”
    I see dry, sarcastic humour in Lennon's reply as he's safe in the knowledge that he'll never get offered that job - mentioning all the millions they've spent but reminding them that they are still only second !

If Rangers lose today, in view of Stewart Milne's reported comment that he would not have stood in McInnes's way, what are the chances of the rangers going back in for McInnes?

What big word would cover that?

Over to you Mr Traynor.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deansy View Post
    I see dry, sarcastic humour in Lennon's reply as he's safe in the knowledge that he'll never get offered that job - mentioning all the millions they've spent but reminding them that they are still only second !

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Deansy View Post
    Exactly, NL stirring the pot

Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    Exactly, NL stirring the pot
    I’d like to think so

Left by mutual consent!
    I think NL is at it and it's great.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibees 7062 View Post
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Left by mutual consent!
    Mcinnes confirmed also was a boyhood hun.

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    IIRC, as a player, Rangers tried to ruin Fergie's career by demoting him to the 3rd team because he got married to a 'non-Rangers' person. I don't think he ever forgave them for that. Probably the main reason he never went to Ibrox as a manager (however, that's just my assumption).
    Apparently, while at Man United he had a sign on his office door that said "I'm fi' Govan"
    He was brought up in Govan.Sure you’re right re his wife.Willie Allison moved from the Sunday Post to be Rangers PR.He told Ferguson he was finished at Ibrox if he married a Catholic.

@hibs.net private member Seveno's Avatar
    I was walking through Braidburn Valley Park this afternoon and saw two boys coming towards me. The smaller of the two was on a skateboard and the bigger one pushed him off and grabbed it. Their mother shouted to the big one to give it back whereupon the boy threw it violently on the ground as if to say that he never wanted it in the first place.

i was tempted to ask the boy if he was called Dave.

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    He was brought up in Govan.Sure you’re right re his wife.Willie Allison moved from the Sunday Post to be Rangers PR.He told Ferguson he was finished at Ibrox if he married a Catholic.
    That's how I remember it AH. That's the reason I grew up in the 60s and beyond hating that club. They've been forced to change that attitude a bit over the years but I'm sure there's still some lurking within the club who hanker for their "good old days".

I recall a journalist trying to trap Stein by asking if there were 2 identical players, one catholic and the other Protestant which one would you sign? His reply "the Protestant, because I could always go back for the catholic later". Brilliant response.

Still, one thing I do thank that club for. I know very well fans of almost all premiership clubs and hatred of them unites us. Anything that brings fans together for however short a tiime can only be good. 😀

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    The Herald have desperately tried to placate The Rangers over the weekend and blame McInnes for a late change of heart, but plenty of others have mocked them for their CLUB STATEMENT.

The Rangers have made fools of themselves. Even many of their own are cringing.