hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar

When was the last time a ref's decisions unfairly benefitted Hibs?

I don't mean the occasional decision, but a game where we got much more than our share of mistakes and decisions?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Ryan91's Avatar
    I'm going to answer never on this one

That 4-0 away win against Motherwell under Fenlon was the happiest I've been with a shocking refereeing performance.

Going back a few years, I'm going for when we won an injury time penalty against Dundee United at Easter Road. Following a corner, the ball must have been ten feet above the two players who came together - I think the United player stepped on the Hibees players foot causing the latter to fall theatrically onto the floor. The ref pointed to the penalty spot, which was scored for Hibs to win with the last kick of the game.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Ibrox earlier this season.

Left by mutual consent!
    Maybe not the last time but any excuse for the Matty Jack game,

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BgBQlenWbBk

Quote Originally Posted by IGRIGI View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe not the last time but any excuse for the Matty Jack game,

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BgBQlenWbBk
    That's the game.....wow!!

At the match, I was thinking "what was that given for".

However, IIRC United were time wasting from the 60 minute so the result was deserved IMO

@hibs.net private member Bayern Bru's Avatar
    Literally last weekend when we got a soft penalty?
    They've only gone and done it! They've only gone and won the Scottish Cup! What kept you, Hibs?!

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayern Bru View Post
    Literally last weekend when we got a soft penalty?
    I'd describe that as an occasional decision.
    ​#PERSEVERED

Penalty

Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    Going back a few years, I'm going for when we won an injury time penalty against Dundee United at Easter Road. Following a corner, the ball must have been ten feet above the two players who came together - I think the United player stepped on the Hibees players foot causing the latter to fall theatrically onto the floor. The ref pointed to the penalty spot, which was scored for Hibs to win with the last kick of the game.
    Aye mate that was Matty Jack , horrendous decision, but was happy to take it ;-)

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Parkhead a couple of weeks ago. Celtc should have had a penalty in injury time.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Left by mutual consent!
    Ibrox in August.

Parkhead.

Good kick of the ball recently.

Cup final in the dying seconds when the free kick went out way, not even our players expected it

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    Pretty clear OP isn’t going to find answers. The constant little decisions that other teams seem to get are viewed with bias by us, whereas the opponent will think the decision was correct. If we are also dismissing “occasional decisions” (of which there are plenty) then there’s not an awful lot to go on.

Hibs are not hard done by compared to most other teams.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?

If you're referring to the match in which Dundee United constantly wasted time throughout the match only for the referee to rightly play about 10 minutes of added time, at the end of which our esteemed German defensive midfielder Matty Jack won an entirely justified penalty kick from which (IIRC) Russell Latapy scored to win us the game ...

The Arabs got exactly what they deserved. The time-wasting that went on that afternoon was scandalous - every throw-in, every free kick, every "injury" took ages to resolve and if the ref had actually played all the time they had wasted we'd still be playing that game now.

Alex Smith was their manager and he needed a good smacking.

(It doesn't matter where the ball is if there's illegal contact inside the penalty area, you know. And there was. Otherwise Matty wouldn't have fallen down. Matty was an honest man. He wasn't a diver. )

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    And James Forrest should have been sent off for his second dive. I'd say that's an occasional decision anyway. The 4-0 at Fir Park when we got 2 penalties that shouldn't have been is a good shout

Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    If you're referring to the match in which Dundee United constantly wasted time throughout the match only for the referee to rightly play about 10 minutes of added time, at the end of which our esteemed German defensive midfielder Matty Jack won an entirely justified penalty kick from which (IIRC) Russell Latapy scored to win us the game ...

The Arabs got exactly what they deserved. The time-wasting that went on that afternoon was scandalous - every throw-in, every free kick, every "injury" took ages to resolve and if the ref had actually played all the time they had wasted we'd still be playing that game now.

(It doesn't matter where the ball is if there's illegal contact inside the penalty area, you know. And there was. Otherwise Matty wouldn't have fallen down. Matty was an honest man. He wasn't a diver. )

It was a joy to see that smug git Smith getting that grin he had on his mush when he thought they had stole a point turning into one of disbelief

FANTASTIC

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    no way...would have been a very soft pen!

Keep the baw matty

And he duly did.

Combe got sent off after the match for pushing his head towards the linesman.

Jack later got cabballero sent off and both dundee teams hates him.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    The trouble is, because of years of bias we think that getting a fair ref is the equivalent of getting one that is bias towards us.
    On balance I think we get about 1 dodgy decision for us for every 8 that go against us. Gen!
    Last edited by snooky; 29-10-2017 at 01:07 AM.

That's the game.....wow!!

At the match, I was thinking "what was that given for".

However, IIRC United were time wasting from the 60 minute so the result was deserved IMO
    Remember that game well. Decision definitely in our favour.
    What I didn’t realise was who the ref was - Alan Freeland.
    Was he not same ref that totally lost it in a game against Falkirk a couple of years later, where everything went against us?

Quote Originally Posted by Spudster View Post
    Cup final in the dying seconds when the free kick went out way, not even our players expected it
    Can’t agree with that, sorry. Ref was close to the incident. High footed challenge.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Spanish_Kebab
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan91 View Post
    I'm going to answer never on this one
    I was going too say this one as well. Motherwell even got a pen that game. Higdon missed

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post

The Arabs got exactly what they deserved. The time-wasting that went on that afternoon was scandalous -

every throw-in, every free kick, every "injury" took ages to resolve and if the ref had actually played all the time they had wasted we'd still be playing that game now.

I must admit that having been at the game & watched highlights i still have no idea why we got the pen. Having said that the timewasting & downright cheating was shocking. The thing that kicked it off was when Combe put the ball out for a throw in about 30/40 yards out. It wasn't even certain it was intentional. Jim Lauchlan had been writhing about in agony but when we took the throw in to ourselves he was up & running like Usain Bolt! I'm sure the howls of outrage from the Hibs fans helped us win the pen almost immediately after. Karma!
    PS Freeland was the most incompetent ref ever but he was a sheep fan & I always wondered whether that helped him give the decision against the other half of the New Firm.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudster View Post
    This.

Still no idea why we got awarded that free kick.

Brilliant decision!!!

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Paul Hanlon got a goal against Dunfermline that didn't cross the line. Think we were 2-0 up at the time, heading towards full time.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Ibrox this season.

Stokes was lucky not to be sent off and, whilst I think Jack deserved to be dismissed, plenty refs would have deemed it a booking.

We were already getting on top at that point but that definitely tipped the momentum right in our favour.

Cup final 2016. We were extremely fortunate not to have at least one key player sent off and were incredibly lucky not to have had a late penalty awarded against us.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Guessing that where we benefited from a wrong call we were on the other side of one sometime soon after that.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Not strictly a refereeing decision, but in the 2016 cup final who knows how things might have ended if Dodgy Dave had ordered police Glasgow onto the pitch when the third went in instead of sending them to the party at ibrox when Halliday signalled he'd won them their first major cup?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby