hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kris Commons

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar

Kris Commons

Has there been any more chat about Commons joining us or not?

We definitely need more goals from midfield so he might just be the final piece in the jigsaw.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Not really. Looks like he's forging a career as a pundit. I'd be astonished if he pulls the boots on again. Been out too long.

Blog Entries
    As long as his signing didn’t have any adverse effect on our budget, I think he would be a ‘good influence’ in terms of experience on and off the pitch.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    I’d rather give game time to the likes of Fraser Murray. As effective as he was with us last season, and agree about the lack of goals from midfield, but we’re at our best when playing at pace and a high tempo. Not sure Commons would fit into our current formation.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by KingDomofFife84 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not really. Looks like he's forging a career as a pundit. I'd be astonished if he pulls the boots on again. Been out too long.
    Not sure why this pundit thing seems such a big issue for some. A few hours a week when he’s not playing is not going to impact on his ability to get back fit.

The likes of Kris Boyd and Steven Thomson have been doing it whilst playing.

Commons would be an excellent signing as we get into the second half of the season.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Has there been any more chat about Commons joining us or not?

We definitely need more goals from midfield so he might just be the final piece in the jigsaw.
    I'd rather have Henderson.

(Cue 150 page thread on his merits or otherwise...)

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    The longer it goes the less likely it is. No one really knows what level of fitness he can attain.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    The longer it goes the less likely it is. No one really knows what level of fitness he can attain.
    Not really. His comeback was always going to be in the new year, if at all.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Coaching Staff
    Yep, just because we aren’t getting updates it doesn’t mean he’s not getting fitter. As you say, was always going to be second half of the season if it happens.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    If at all sums it up perfectly.

Craig Gordon (love him or hate him) had an extended run in the media and many believed his career to be over. Despite foreverer being a hearts bassa, he got it back to on track. Age may be a major factor here but would never rule it out. FWIW I agree with the development of youth (Murray) over Commons

Quote Originally Posted by coco22 View Post
    Craig Gordon (love him or hate him) had an extended run in the media and many believed his career to be over. Despite foreverer being a hearts bassa, he got it back to on track. Age may be a major factor here but would never rule it out. FWIW I agree with the development of youth (Murray) over Commons
    Commons or Murray?
    Come on. When we develop players, they get taken off us anyway. With a guy like Commons, if fit, it’s a no brainer. Family settled here, wouldn’t be looking to move on. Could get a good couple of years from a quality player.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat Stanton View Post
    I'd rather have Henderson.

(Cue 150 page thread on his merits or otherwise...)
    Heard a rumour that Preston will be offering £300k for Hendo in January. I’d like to think we could match that but then there’s the wages to match too.

Quote Originally Posted by Right Said Frank View Post
    I’d rather give game time to the likes of Fraser Murray. As effective as he was with us last season, and agree about the lack of goals from midfield, but we’re at our best when playing at pace and a high tempo. Not sure Commons would fit into our current formation.
    This in spades, arguably the best midfield outside of Celtic. I'd rather develop (especially Fraser) our own players this season.

Bit late for Commons, I reckon. I'd take Kenny Miller though!

Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post
    This in spades, arguably the best midfield outside of Celtic. I'd rather develop (especially Fraser) our own players this season.
    If Hearts had Murray or Commons playing on Tuesday, who would you be more concerned about?
    Commons was about 10% fit in his few games for us last season, yet still played s MASSIVE part in our success.

@hibs.net private member California-Hibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BringTheCairds
    Commons has made little noises here and there about it on SportSound over the past while. I wouldn’t rule it out yet

Quote Originally Posted by munchar View Post
    If Hearts had Murray or Commons playing on Tuesday, who would you be more concerned about?
    Commons was about 10% fit in his few games for us last season, yet still played s MASSIVE part in our success.
    My point was that we have enough to realise our ambitions this season. We'd gain more long term if the likes of FM were given game time.

Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post
    My point was that we have enough to realise our ambitions this season. We'd gain more long term if the likes of FM were given game time.
    I get your point and agree with your reasons, but I want us to develop a ruthless streak. We have to set our sights higher now. I would rather take a McGinn or McGeough of and replace them with a Commons.
    We will probably have a good season and win nothing. A player of Commons caliber could maybe produce a bit of quality to win a big match?
    I think Murray would also learn from these players, but I don’t think we have the luxury of giving youngsters game time to develop, when we are only winning games by a single goal. Was easier last season when we were 3/4 goals ahead.
    ⚽️🇳🇬👍

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    So...If one 'really knows', then how do 'you know' it's becoming less likely?

Just curious....

I'll trust our managers judgement on these things. If NL deems KC will improve us, then it's all good.

For me you can't have enough quality in a squad. Yes, he wouldn't play every minute, but he'd be a great influence.

@hibs.net private member
    I'm not desperate to get him in but if Lennon takes a look at him and decides he's worth a contract then fine.

Midfield is our strongest area of the pitch already. Murray has been mentioned on this thread but we have have a player on the books, Danny Swanson who scored plenty of goals at this level last year and hasn't had much chance in the first team. I'd like to see him get more minutes (when fit) and potentially in a more central role. Slivka has also shown flashes of real quality but hasn't started the last couple of games.

Also, who drops out of midfield to accommodate Commons? Is he going to oust McGinn, McGeouch, Bartley or Barker? As another poster alluded to I want to see us playing with pace, Commons might still have enough in the tank but he'll be playing a much higher calibre of opposition this year than last. I certainly wouldn't want us throwing big money at him.

I really only think we need a striker in this window. Anything else would be a bonus.
    Summer window is the big one because we will have to replace McGinn and possibly McGeogh. That will be a real test for Lennon.
    But for Jan, just a striker please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    I really only think we need a striker in this window. Anything else would be a bonus.
    Summer window is the big one because we will have to replace McGinn and possibly McGeogh. That will be a real test for Lennon.
    But for Jan, just a striker please.

Personally gutted when not if we lose young John as he is the player that we have watched develop into being the beating heart of the engine room of the team we have loved over the last number of years especially when winning the holy grail. It will be a very sad day when young John moves on but in all reality it's a day that is looming ever closer as we watch one of the best young players at ER since John Collins and then Scott Brown burst into the first team. Young John will always be remembered as Super John McGinn one of the nicest, brightest and best players we have ever seen at ER and will always be a Scottish Cup winning legend. One of the greatest young talents we have seen grace ER in the modern day.

Super John McGinn indeed.

GGTTH

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Yep, just because we aren’t getting updates it doesn’t mean he’s not getting fitter. As you say, was always going to be second half of the season if it happens.
    He no longer trains at Lennoxtown, that came from one of the coaching staff at Celtc, is he not on holiday in Dubia at the moment. The worry is that in the few games he played for us "which he was good in" is that when he went back to Celtc his back flared up again and he couldn't train, a big risk for the club to take when he could break down at any time, do we really need him, another striker should be our priority in the next window.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    He no longer trains at Lennoxtown, that came from one of the coaching staff at Celtc, is he not on holiday in Dubia at the moment. The worry is that in the few games he played for us "which he was good in" is that when he went back to Celtc his back flared up again and he couldn't train, a big risk for the club to take when he could break down at any time, do we really need him, another striker should be our priority in the next window.
    Personally wouldn't want KC at Hibs SH, not because I don't rate or like the guy, rather I'd love Hibs to go for the younger version at St Mirren, Lewis Morgan

To be honest with every passing day my interest in seeing Commons back in a Hibs shirt gets less and less, in fact I never think of him at all until he's mentioned on here. I like the dynamic way we are playing at the moment and I wonder how a never gonna' be 100% fit Commons would fit into that.

Who would we drop for an off the pace Commons who hasn't kicked a ball in a year?

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    To be honest with every passing day my interest in seeing Commons back in a Hibs shirt gets less and less, in fact I never think of him at all until he's mentioned on here. I like the dynamic way we are playing at the moment and I wonder how a never gonna' be 100% fit Commons would fit into that.
    Totally agree with this post, i don’t think he’ll ever get back to total fitness so better spending the money elsewhere.

Kris Commons

Quote Originally Posted by lgnsh70 View Post
    Personally gutted when not if we lose young John as he is the player that we have watched develop into being the beating heart of the engine room of the team we have loved over the last number of years especially when winning the holy grail. It will be a very sad day when young John moves on but in all reality it's a day that is looming ever closer as we watch one of the best young players at ER since John Collins and then Scott Brown burst into the first team. Young John will always be remembered as Super John McGinn one of the nicest, brightest and best players we have ever seen at ER and will always be a Scottish Cup winning legend. One of the greatest young talents we have seen grace ER in the modern day.

Super John McGinn indeed.

GGTTH
    Allan Campbell at Motherwell would be worth a look. Would cost a fee but if we want quality then we will need to pay and I think we would get it back anyway.
    And Steve Mallan has yet to play a single game for Barnsley. Might be worth trying to tempt him back to Scotland.

Last edited by Ozyhibby; 29-10-2017 at 06:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by munchar View Post
    Commons or Murray?
    Come on. When we develop players, they get taken off us anyway. With a guy like Commons, if fit, it’s a no brainer. Family settled here, wouldn’t be looking to move on. Could get a good couple of years from a quality player.
    Agreed

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk