hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree. There an element of laziness about going for him imo.

Norn Ireland recent success can be attributed to more than just the manager so I hope if the SFA do go for him they look beyond the job he’s done with Northern Ireland.

That said, loved him as a player so I’d love him to be a success as a manager for Scotland.
    So if not the manager, what’s their decent run over the past few years down to? MON has done a fantastic job with an average at best set of players.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    So if not the manager, what’s their decent run over the past few years down to? MON has done a fantastic job with an average at best set of players.
    Also did a great job with Shamrock Rovers - group stages of the Europa League

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by oneone73 View Post
    Also did a great job with Shamrock Rovers - group stages of the Europa League
    And in Scotland prior to that.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Anyone that can get Lafferty scoring regular deserves a shot at it.

Quote Originally Posted by oneone73 View Post
    BBC say Scotland are keen on O'Neill, not the other way round.
    Listen to the reporter's video - he clearly states "my understanding is that O'Neill is 'keen' to the {Scotland) job".

Only reporting the information as presented.

@hibs.net private member Gettin' Auld's Avatar
    I'd have thought John Collins was more suited to the Performance Director (or whatever he's called) gig that Malky's in.

Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    Listen to the reporter's video - he clearly states "my understanding is that O'Neill is 'keen' to the {Scotland) job".

Only reporting the information as presented.
    I would prefer Martin over Michael I think

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    I just think sometimes managers can find themselves fortunate to be managing the right team at the right time. I look at that Norn Iron team and question how much the likes of Hughes, Evans, Brunt, Mccaffrey and Davis need 'managed'? These guys all have around 100 caps and are approaching the end of their career. They won't need managed and will set the tone for the whole changing room, if anyone isn't pulling their weight MoN probably wont even need to get involved to an extent.

I'm not saying Michael O'neill would definitely fail, I just think sometimes there is a bigger picture to be looked at rather than just assuming good (or improved) team= Good manager.

To be fair to him I forgot about the excellent job he did at Shamrock Rovers but also worth remembering he lost his first 9 games at Norn Ireland, he simply wouldn't get that sort of time with Scotland.

Good luck to him if he does get it though.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    I would prefer Martin over Michael I think
    No no no!

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    I just think sometimes managers can find themselves fortunate to be managing the right team at the right time. I look at that Norn Iron team and question how much the likes of Hughes, Evans, Brunt, Mccaffrey and Davis need 'managed'? These guys all have around 100 caps and are approaching the end of their career. They won't need managed and will set the tone for the whole changing room, if anyone isn't pulling their weight MoN probably wont even need to get involved to an extent.

I'm not saying Michael O'neill would definitely fail, I just think sometimes there is a bigger picture to be looked at rather than just assuming good (or improved) team= Good manager.

To be fair to him I forgot about the excellent job he did at Shamrock Rovers but also worth remembering he lost his first 9 games at Norn Ireland, he simply wouldn't get that sort of time with Scotland.

Good luck to him if he does get it though.
    Craig Levein did.

Northern Ireland are p1sh, and he made a brilliant fist of what he had. If that came after a poor run of form after he first came-in.. does that not suggest he did come in and turn things round? Surely the experienced players above didn't suddenly become able to manage the team themselves half way through O'Neill's tenure?

O'Neill has done very well with Northern Ireland. Absolutely no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Craig Levein did.

Northern Ireland are p1sh, and he made a brilliant fist of what he had. If that came after a poor run of form after he first came-in.. does that not suggest he did come in and turn things round? Surely the experienced players above didn't suddenly become able to manage the team themselves half way through O'Neill's tenure?

O'Neill has done very well with Northern Ireland. Absolutely no doubt.
    He has, and i'm not saying otherwise.

I am saying though that just because he did such a good job there he may not be able to replicate that with Scotland.

Terry Butcher did a great job with Inverness but was dreadful for us. It happens, that's why I'm saying you need to probe further than just how well they've done in a recent job. As it happens he also did a great job with Shamrock Rovers that I forgot about when making my original post so I maybe did him a diss-service, I don't have faith in the SFA asking the right questions to establish if he is the right man for the job or not though.

Approach made today for Michael O Neill by the SFA

Few media outlets on twitter saying deal been agreed and Scotland allowed to talk to Michael O’Neill.

https://youtu.be/dvgDNxueTtA

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    All the best to him if he becomes Scotland manager but my gut feeling is he won't be a success unfortunately. Mostly due to our chronic lack of central defenders good enough to play international football.

Incidentally would this be the first time a manager has left one of the home nations to take over at another? In fact has anyone else ever managed more than one of England Scotland Wales or NI in their career?

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Slightly off topic but I see Chris Coleman is leaving Wales to take the Sunderland job.

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    Slightly off topic but I see Chris Coleman is leaving Wales to take the Sunderland job.
    That's brave and probably a mistake IMO.

From semi finals of the Euros to bottom end of the English championship in less than 18 months!
    Last edited by Mr White; 17-11-2017 at 10:28 PM.

Malky McKay. About time we had a sexist Nazi homophobe in the post. If we are to progress as a liberal society we have to show our tolerance by appointing such people to key posts.

Huge mistake....

Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post
    Michael O'Neill should not be the next Scotland manager imo

I'll be renewing my TA membership and he'll get my full backing but we won't get the same success he had with NI
    You are difinitively saying he won't better what he done at NI with a better group of players with us? Why not?

He got them to a tournament, if he gets us to one he's done a great job.

Quote Originally Posted by yonder1875 View Post
    You are difinitively saying he won't better what he done at NI with a better group of players with us? Why not?

It's either on this thread or the other one I've given my thoughts. My gut feel right now is he's not the man for the job.

The strengths of the NI side and ours are completely different, as are the expectations (he won't get the freedom he got at the start of his NI reign with us)

I'd love MON, a former Hibee to come in and be the man to take us to an international tournament, for me personally it'd be great and certainly make the last 5 or 6 campaigns I've followed the country home and away worthwhile.

What is clear is the SFA appear to have got the man they wanted in the first place so that can only be a positive

Scotland have some of the best group of young players we've had for quite a while, if he can get the defence sorted he'll do well.

@hibs.net private member SouthMoroccoStu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gettin' Auld View Post
    I'd have thought John Collins was more suited to the Performance Director (or whatever he's called) gig that Malky's in.
    Of course he should be

But the sfa want a narrow visioned yes man to keep the status quo

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yonder1875 View Post

Definitely arguable whether we have a better group of players. Their defence is miles better than ours with McAuley, Evans and Cathcart, Davis in midfield also is excellent.

I don't rate him as a manager. I know he got to the semi's at the euro's.
    Wales are a very good side and should of been capable of winning their group for the WC. 3rd place was shocking finish for them.

Sunderland is a poisonous chalice just now. Wrong choice for him.

Will be interesting to see who Wales appoint.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Definitely arguable whether we have a better group of players. Their defence is miles better than ours with McAuley, Evans and Cathcart, Davis in midfield also is excellent.
    What's so special about Craig Cathcart like?

Evans and McAuley are definitely way better than we have at centre half though.

It's not arguable that we have a better squad of players, at all. We clearly do.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post

It's not arguable that we have a better squad of players, at all. We clearly do.
    Cathcart plays most weeks in the premier league we have league one playing Charlie Mulgrew and Berra. We don't clearly have better players or we would be getting to play offs and tournaments.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post

Both squads are completely different. NI are fairly strong in the centre of defence and will head in to most games knowing they can sneak a 1-0.

Our squad, probably our best in a number of years has many talented players going forward but we lack that imposing centre half.

Strachan certainly over achieved with some of the results in the 2nd half of the campaign imo.

People are trying to use the fact NI qualified as a barometer and whilst that's the objective th3 circumstances are entirely different. Would Brendan Rodgers do a better job than MON for NI? Not imo they'd be cut open by most but yet in England and Scotland he's been relatively successful

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Centre of defence is the only part of their squad that is stronger than ours imo and I wouldn't swap Stuart Armstrong for Davis.

They've got bloody Kyle Lafferty up front and we've got Leigh Griffiths!

michael o neills goal v motherwell on the counter attack at easter road was a peach ⚽

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    I would welcome his appointment if for no other reason than it would be a break from the usual suspects who want their turn on the gravy train. He would view this as a step up in his career which is far better motivation than Lambert or Moyes who would be keeping their hand in until something better pops up.