hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Joshua v Takam

Stoppage was early but can see why the ref made the decision. That eye was a mess and his vision on the side certainly appeared impaired to some degree.

Refs are in a horrible position as their decisions are hugely influential on a fighters welfare. Not so long ago a well respected Scottish referee, Victor Loughlin, was ref in 2 fights that saw fighters seriously injured. Nick Blackwell was left in an induced coma and Mike Towell collapsed and subsequently died. In both cases a Doctor was summomed and in both cases they ruled the fighter able to continue, in Blackwells case the Doctor was asked a 2nd time and stopped the fight. Loughlin was distraught in both cases and had to endure his integrity and ability being called into question. There was a social media hate campaign against him and more than one poster on here said he should never referee again. I wonder how many would have said he stopped both fights early had he stopped them a couple of rounds earlier and what the outcomes may have been?

Referees are instructed to be cautious and stop fights if they feel a boxer is impaired to the detriment of being able to protect themselves. Last night may have been early but allowing another minute or 2 was only postponing the inevitable. Do we really want to return to the days of guys taking 15-20 unanswered head shots before a ref steps in?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Ideal scenario would be Parker v Wilder then winner of that fights Joshua in a winner takes all mega fight. Pretty much copying a comment I’ve read on BBC HYS section but to me that makes total sense. Sadly the politics between the different boxing organisations means it’s unlikely.

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Quote Originally Posted by Higgo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ideal scenario would be Parker v Wilder then winner of that fights Joshua in a winner takes all mega fight. Pretty much copying a comment I’ve read on BBC HYS section but to me that makes total sense. Sadly the politics between the different boxing organisations means it’s unlikely.
    I'd like AJ to fight Parker next - another step up while being able to win. Then Wilder in the summer, and if by some miracle he sorts himself out - Fury in the Autumn.

White done himself no favours against a poor opponent on Saturday. I'm looking forward to seeing more of Daniel Dubois tho. He is definitely one to watch out for.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post
    I'd like AJ to fight Parker next - another step up while being able to win. Then Wilder in the summer, and if by some miracle he sorts himself out - Fury in the Autumn.

White done himself no favours against a poor opponent on Saturday. I'm looking forward to seeing more of Daniel Dubois tho. He is definitely one to watch out for.
    Dubois looks an outstanding prospect. Early days but all the signs are he is going to be a star.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Higgo View Post
    Dubois looks an outstanding prospect. Early days but all the signs are he is going to be a star.
    He reminds me of a coloured version of the 'yarp' guy of of hot fuzz in some of his interviews. He looks a tremendous prospect, the power he has at only 19 is insane. His knockout of AJ Carter was nuts, Carter went properly to sleep.
    Last edited by Navids Numpties; 10-11-2017 at 06:14 PM.