hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar

Proust - In Search of Lost Time

Has anyone read the whole six volumes of this novel? Often mentioned as the greatest novel of all time; an epic concerning love and loss, time and memory, the role of art to humans and the transience of life, set within the French aristocracy at the turn of the twentieth century. Not a Jackie Collins type read, but often cited as an example of the greatest of artistic achievements. I've bought the first two volumes, which are now on my 'to read' pile. Anyone completed this epic journey?
    Last edited by Hibernia&Alba; 24-10-2017 at 04:14 PM.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

2. Log in to remove the advert

God knows I've tried.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    God knows I've tried.
    How far did you get, heretoday? Was it heavy going?

@hibs.net private member
    I'm meant to have. If that helps.

I now have all six volumes and am ready to start to what is described as one of the great journeys in world literature. Being a huge lover of Tolstoy's work, I do enjoy an epic, and this is bloody epic

No need, H&A

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    I now have all six volumes and am ready to start to what is described as one of the great journeys in world literature. Being a huge lover of Tolstoy's work, I do enjoy an epic, and this is bloody epic
    Good Luck

"A la recherche du temps perdu by Marcel Proust contains an estimated 9,609,000 characters (each letter counts as one character. Spaces are also counted, as one character each)."

@hibs.net private member G15 Hibs's Avatar
    How are you getting on with it? I got up to 'The Guermantes Way' over the course of about 5 or 6 years, on and off. Haven't quite found time (heh) to push on any further for two or three years now. I do hope I will find the inspiration again though. Aye it's long-winded, aye it's digressive, aye nothing happens for hundreds of pages, but it's the only novel I've read where there's been a moment of absolute perfect and breath-taking wonder on every page.

How far did you get, heretoday? Was it heavy going?
    I managed the first 100 odd pages before giving up. It takes self-indulgence to new depths. I'm ashamed to say I couldn't get on with Ulysses either after several attempts.
    My Struggle by Karl-Ove Knaussgaard on the other hand is far more accessible and contemporary. Its six volumes are much easier and I'd recommend the work. He's very much flavour of the year in world literary circles.

Quote Originally Posted by G15 Hibs View Post
    How are you getting on with it? I got up to 'The Guermantes Way' over the course of about 5 or 6 years, on and off. Haven't quite found time (heh) to push on any further for two or three years now. I do hope I will find the inspiration again though. Aye it's long-winded, aye it's digressive, aye nothing happens for hundreds of pages, but it's the only novel I've read where there's been a moment of absolute perfect and breath-taking wonder on every page.
    I'm about a quarter way through through book five - The Captive & The Fugitive. So not to get completely lost in it, I've taken a break after each volume, usually reading another book before returning, in order to break it down. It's a unique experience; not for everybody, but, for those who have the patience, it's really worth the effort. I write down the context and key developments in each volume, so I can see how it all fits together. It's easy to lose the wood for the trees in such a massive study.

I managed the first 100 odd pages before giving up. It takes self-indulgence to new depths. I'm ashamed to say I couldn't get on with Ulysses either after several attempts.
    My Struggle by Karl-Ove Knaussgaard on the other hand is far more accessible and contemporary. Its six volumes are much easier and I'd recommend the work. He's very much flavour of the year in world literary circles.
    No shame in giving up on Ulysses - I had to do the same. The stream of consciousness in real time is an incredible achievement of writing, but it's impossible to follow. Perhaps you aren't meant to follow it but just experience the moment, as we do in real life, but it's so different from anything else you come across. I will probably have another crack at it at some point, but's it's such a strange experience.

Read a bit about My Struggle. Am I right in thinking it’s just been released in English?