hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Our defence has simply not gelled this season and we have looked suspect in most games.
    Individual errors by quality individual players have led to some unbelievable goals being conceded. No manager can be held responsible for individual mistakes. Little wonder Neil Lennon gets frustrated and angry watching us concede so cheaply.
    Soft goals conceded leads to a lack of confidence and tension not only in fellow defenders but the whole team.
    We have fallen behind in most games and put ourselves under pressure to get back on a level-footing, which to be fair, we have managed to do, only to then repeat the same mistakes in other games.
    Some posters think that we are being set up wrongly, but when you see the pre-match defensive line up, with players in their rightful and natural position, the set up argument makes no sense.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lennon's Lip View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Our defence has simply not gelled this season and we have looked suspect in most games.
    Individual errors by quality individual players have led to some unbelievable goals being conceded. No manager can be held responsible for individual mistakes. Little wonder Neil Lennon gets frustrated and angry watching us concede so cheaply.
    Soft goals conceded leads to a lack of confidence and tension not only in fellow defenders but the whole team.
    We have fallen behind in most games and put ourselves under pressure to get back on a level-footing, which to be fair, we have managed to do, only to then repeat the same mistakes in other games.
    Some posters think that we are being set up wrongly, but when you see the pre-match defensive line up, with players in their rightful and natural position, the set up argument makes no sense.
    Doesn’t help that we have a different back 4/5 practically every game

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lennon's Lip View Post
    In seven out of nine league games we've lost the first goal. The set up argument makes every sense.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Yep. This "natural born winner" stuff rings hollow when you don't win that often.
    Not looking for an argument, but I thought Lennon's post match interview was spot on. He set us up to contain them with the option to change as the game went on. I thought Laidlaw was woeful in the first half today, made some great saves in the second. You can't give anyone a two goal start, especially Celtic. Hopefully Marciano is back for Hearts. The Whittaker/Boyle substitution was what was required, at the right time. The Shaw substitution was a good call too. Shaw's goal was very good, both he and Lenton should get credit for that. I am by no means a happy clapper, or a Lennon apologist, but think this is the best manager/squad combination we have had in my time watching Hibs. I am 47 in December. Lennon is absolutely a winner, and I can see that rubbing off on the squad. I think we are in a good place, and are only going to get better. Bring on the Jambo's.

In seven out of nine league games we've lost the first goal. The set up argument makes every sense.
    I'm focusing on the defensive set-up and I actually see a very strong-looking backline and keeper. We have quality individual defensive players in each position, but we are not playing as a cohesive, strong unit. So, for me, cutting out the individual errors and losing players running in is key to our keeping a clean sheet. If we are referring to the set-up outwith the defence then that's a different argument.

Quote Originally Posted by bordergreen View Post
    Not looking for an argument, but I thought Lennon's post match interview was spot on. He set us up to contain them with the option to change as the game went on. I thought Laidlaw was woeful in the first half today, made some great saves in the second. You can't give anyone a two goal start, especially Celtic. Hopefully Marciano is back for Hearts. The Whittaker/Boyle substitution was what was required, at the right time. The Shaw substitution was a good call too. Shaw's goal was very good, both he and Lenton should get credit for that. I am by no means a happy clapper, or a Lennon apologist, but think this is the best manager/squad combination we have had in my time watching Hibs. I am 47 in December. Lennon is absolutely a winner, and I can see that rubbing off on the squad. I think we are in a good place, and are only going to get better. Bring on the Jambo's.
    Good post. Some sound reasoned points made.

My opinion's not popular but I can't help but worry that the three year deal for NL is a mistake. The evidence is there - we aren't set up properly when we start games. Not to say get rid but the jury is very much out on him IMO.

IMO - 6th in the league just now just isn't good enough with the squad at our disposal.
    I understand your frustration with Lennon, but this type of post should have been kept in reserve until the end of the season. Only then will our league position inform us how he as a manager has performed.
    It's still too early in the season to arrive at any conclusions, as teams will occupy various positions throughout the campaign.

Did you miss Latapy and Sauzee then Broon Deek etc ?
    Hubs have won two games in ten and have plenty to prove. Yes we can look good but we are miles away from any sort of consistency and on this form the top 6 will be a battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    Did you miss Latapy and Sauzee then Broon Deek etc ?
    Hubs have won two games in ten and have plenty to prove. Yes we can look good but we are miles away from any sort of consistency and on this form the top 6 will be a battle.
    Yep, given my age, I have seen those players. I have been a Hibee since I could say Hibs. As I said, not looking for an argument. In my opinion this squad/manager combination is something special. Also thought Barker looked special at times going forward today. As other posters have said on other threads, McGeough and Hanlon were great. I am firmly in the McGeouch is one of our best players camp. When we extend our winning run against them on Tuesday, we will all be feeling better. Mon the Hibees!

Yep, given my age, I have seen those players. I have been a Hibee since I could say Hibs. As I said, not looking for an argument. In my opinion this squad/manager combination is something special. Also thought Barker looked special at times going forward today. As other posters have said on other threads, McGeough and Hanlon were great. I am firmly in the McGeouch is one of our best players camp. When we extend our winning run against them on Tuesday, we will all be feeling better. Mon the Hibees!
    Yip GGTH and we will win on Tuesday
    But McLeish's team would murder this one. Different era and different finances but it really was way better.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    Yip GGTH and we will win on Tuesday
    But McLeish's team would murder this one. Different era and different finances but it really was way better.
    We were on a bad losing run when McLeish left, as I said, best squad/manager I have seen. My opinion only, we all have one.

The last time Hibs went to Hampden we gave Aberdeen two goals of a start. Same again today. The second goal Hibs conceded today, coming just before half time, was really really poor.

.... but think this is the best manager/squad combination we have had in my time watching Hibs. I am 47 in December.

I'm not meaning to knock your optimism but can't agree with that.

The McLeish and Mowbray teams were much better.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    I'm not meaning to knock your optimism but can't agree with that.

The McLeish and Mowbray teams were much better.
    I actually think that Stubbs' second season was better, we were unfortunate with our congested schedule, injuries and a resurgent Rangers in the same league. That squad played fantastic football when we got the chance.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

First Team Breakthrough
    I'm starting to wonder if we're a team of bottlers , we play well when we're behind and there's nothing to lose and everybody wants the ball , but when the pressure's on we're a team that doesn't take responsibility and have players who are only too willing to pass the buck , deary me I hope I'm wrong but when I look back at the big games over the last couple of seasons I cant help but wonder