hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar

Are we becoming blasé about Hampden?

Given the remarkable number of Hampden trips we have had in recent years, the novelty of a big occasion and a day out watching Hibs at Hampden might be wearing off for some. Growing up I had few visits to Hampden other than Scotland games, so when Hibs got to go there it was such an exciting prospect. Contrast that to now and the frequency of Hampden trips, you can maybe see why the enthusiasm has waned for some.
    We can't get enough numbers from our town to run even a minibus, and reading on here there seems to be a few missing for varying reasons. It will be interesting to see in due course how many we take through, and hopefully we can get around our expected 15K for semis. Personally, I can't wait for this one.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Yep, we're too lazy to even spell it properly....

EDIT: Well done, you fixed it ;-)
    Last edited by Keith_M; 16-10-2017 at 08:02 PM.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    In a word, yes. Add this to school holidays, cost, on TV, kick off time and that some fans won’t travel to a game they don’t think we have a chance in then we’ll take 12K tops. That said, I’m looking forward to it. I’ve not missed a semi-final since 1980. Only have to remember beating Oldco 1-0 in 1991 against the odds to know we have a chance.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

There could be something in that .... I don't think it would apply to a final, but semis do appear to be losing their allure, look at the number who turned out for the Dundee Utd semi in 2016. The Aberdeen semi last year bucked the trend, but the chance of retaining the cup was probably a big factor in that.

The league cup semis rarely get big turnouts, even the ugly sisters with ST numbers higher than any allocation they could hope for for games against the likes of Hibs Aberdeen or Hearts rarely sell their full allocation for league cup semi finals and I'll be surprised if Celtic do this time .... its no coincidence that the SPFL use Easter Road and the PBS for semis rather than Hampden when the ugly sisters aren't involved.

I'm guessing the crowd will be lucky to hit 40,000 on Saturday.

how many tickets have we sold

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    It’s certainly lost the fear factor it used to have. Going to hampden was always a nervy occasion for both players and fans, but that seems to have gone now. I actually think we’ll take our biggest ever crowd for a league cup semi final at hampden on Saturday. In summary, I don’t think we’ve become blasé about it, but I do think we see it differently.

United we stand here....

Nope. We're not Celtic.

Until we're winning 90% of the games we play there and getting bored of trying to lift trophies, that won't change.

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There could be something in that .... I don't think it would apply to a final, but semis do appear to be losing their allure, look at the number who turned out for the Dundee Utd semi in 2016. The Aberdeen semi last year bucked the trend, but the chance of retaining the cup was probably a big factor in that.

The league cup semis rarely get big turnouts, even the ugly sisters with ST numbers higher than any allocation they could hope for for games against the likes of Hibs Aberdeen or Hearts rarely sell their full allocation for league cup semi finals and I'll be surprised if Celtic do this time .... its no coincidence that the SPFL use Easter Road and the PBS for semis rather than Hampden when the ugly sisters aren't involved.

I missed both the Dundee Utd and Aberdeen semi games (was in France for one and at work for the other) but will be there on Saturday so that's one more at least.

This will be my first visit since that one in 2012. Definitely going more in hope than expectation.

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post

Celtic will sell all their allocation. We won't. Maybe if a semi ticket stub guaranteed a ticket for the final, we might sell our allocation.

Sent from my P12 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TorMTH View Post
    Celtic will sell all their allocation. We won't. Maybe if a semi ticket stub guaranteed a ticket for the final, we might sell our allocation.

I'd be surprised if Celtic sold all of theirs.

Left by mutual consent! IlDiavola's Avatar
    Seems ridiculous but I think you could be right.

Quote Originally Posted by TorMTH View Post

Celtic don't always sell all their tickets for semi finals so I wouldn't say its a gimmie they will this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I'd be surprised if Celtic sold all of theirs.
    They are not going on general release, ST holders only at the moment and already limited availability. And before you ask, its my brother in law who is furnishing me the info, as he is not a season ticket holder

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post
    how many tickets have we sold
    Around 10K at the moment seems to be the best guess.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Testimonial Due
    Possibly... Nice problem to have though

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    Around 10K at the moment seems to be the best guess.
    As low as that?

Of course the fact we're widely expected to lose doesn't help also school holidays and the KO time doesn't help.

Is there anyone else like me who hates having to sit in the "wrong end" every time we play Celtic at Hampden?

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbySpurs View Post
    As low as that?

Of course the fact we're widely expected to lose doesn't help also school holidays and the KO time doesn't help.

Is there anyone else like me who hates having to sit in the "wrong end" every time we play Celtic at Hampden?
    Seems to be the figure being banded around. If we get to 15K, that's perfectly okay.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    I'm a season ticket holder and have attended every home game this season, but i won't be making it through - it's hard enough getting saturdays off work for home games, and on top of that it'll probably cost £50 for the whole day out once you've considered parking, petrol and food. If it was a derby i'd be there in a flash but combined with the early kick off, i don't feel up for making that gamble on a game against celtic. This maybe makes me a crap fan, but i'd guess it's not dissimilar to many other people's situations. Of course i'll be both delighted if we win and gutted i wasn't there, but i'll be over the moon for all the more commited hibees who made it through, and i'll be at the final with bells on.

The point being - it's nothing to do with being blasé, and everything to do with practicalities and expectations.
    Last edited by AgentDaleCooper; 17-10-2017 at 02:35 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Perhaps if more had been at Celtic Park (due to rubbish ticket allocation, not enthusiasm) then more would maybe think we actually have a chance. Celtic will lose their invincible tag at some point, and where better to do it than at Hampden, by us beating them....?

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't think I could ever be blasé about going to Hampden as despite the recent glut of visits it probably averages out at about once every 5 years over my Hibs supporting life (off the top of my head so please don't correct me :-))

What I can say is short of drawing them again, I doubt I will ever go with any great trepidation again.

Whatever I see at Hampden in years to come, I have seen what I always wanted to see and which was something I never thought I would.

Frankly, right now it feels like anything else is a bonus. Didn't make the Aberdeen game as we were away on holiday,

Ask me if that's still the case on Saturday

Not blase but not as up for it as I have been and I have a wee feeling that we will beat celtc.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    I cant wait, playing Celtic at the moment is the very best test we can give ourselves. Ive got a feeling we will do more than ok and although relatively few in numbers (or so it seems) Im sure we'll make the best noise we can. Personally I'd think the same if only 500 of us were going. About a 7am start for me but Im buzzing for it, got friends who are Celtic fans who will be watching on the box, it would have been easy to join them but being a Hibs fan isnt being about being easy. Im in B4 see you guys there.