hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GMS was Offside

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MB62 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not for me it's not, fractionally offside IMO.
    But in the pic the ball has already been played, only just of course. So McKay Steven would have been half a step further back and probably onside.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    The game moves very quickly and the officials shouldn't be judged on a possible offside where the attacker may have been a couple of inches ahead of the defender. It's not humanly possible to judge these things with such a fine degree of accuracy, so I think the goal was fair enough.

What made a much bigger impact on the game was the reluctance of the Ref to actually penalise the Aberdeen players making blatant professional fouls.

Almost every decent break Hibs made forward was dealt with by the player being hauled or hacked down, with cards few and far between (for them, at least). The second half saw a clear red card incident but not even a yellow was shown. Even their manager knew it, hence the immediate substitution.
    This!

It's something which has irritated me immensely in the past - particularly in derbies - where numerous non-decisions in favour of, usually the more cynical side (ie failing to issue deserved yellow cards or letting constant niggly fouls go unpunished) end up potentially making the difference in tight games.

It's not that any particular decision would necessarily be a game changer but when you add up all the attacks unfairly impeded and defenders allowed to continue making full blooded challenges when they should be walking a tightrope you can only conclude that the outcome of a tight game could easily be influenced. That is WHY certain managers encourage their players to cheat afterall and it's up to the officials to clamp down on it.

I would not accuse McLean of any kind of bias on Saturday - only of adhering to the prevailing standards in Scottish refereeing - which far too often allow cloggers and cynical play to prevail over skill and ability.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    I can't remember all of the build up to the goal, but why is our defence all over the place?

I think the picture looks about even, and the advantage goes to the striker. I also can't see how you could really fault the linesman's position - a yard is nothing to be behind/infront by when you consider the speed of play and the other things he's meant to be looking at.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    I thought it was offside at the time. It’s actually unusual a linesman would give it as the attacker us closest to him so they usually look offside even when they we not. Difficult call but at the time had it been my call I would have flagged.

My initial thought from almost in line with lewis was it was offside but on looking at it it was marginal ! In respect if the east stand linesman he spent the first half struggling to get himself up with play making his ability to make an offside decision really difficult and that was proven on another couple of occassions.! Apart from the offside issue he didnt seem to see anything untoward during the whole game ...including Shinnie trying to take Boyle out before May did, his contribution on Saturday was on the minus scale as he failed to make any decisions beyond a couple of throw ins that were blatantly obvious ! At least he kept abreast of Steven MCLean by having an equally inept poor game..... I reckon you could take a fan from each team every game as a linesman and it would be pretty similar to what most linespersons do in a game, saving clubs probably £500-£600 a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    The game moves very quickly and the officials shouldn't be judged on a possible offside where the attacker may have been a couple of inches ahead of the defender. It's not humanly possible to judge these things with such a fine degree of accuracy, so I think the goal was fair enough.

What made a much bigger impact on the game was the reluctance of the Ref to actually penalise the Aberdeen players making blatant professional fouls.

Almost every decent break Hibs made forward was dealt with by the player being hauled or hacked down, with cards few and far between (for them, at least). The second half saw a clear red card incident but not even a yellow was shown. Even their manager knew it, hence the immediate substitution.
    Stevie may did get booked. But agreed. Looked a red card all day.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    I can't remember all of the build up to the goal, but why is our defence all over the place?

I think the picture looks about even, and the advantage goes to the striker. I also can't see how you could really fault the linesman's position - a yard is nothing to be behind/infront by when you consider the speed of play and the other things he's meant to be looking at.
    May comes short and his run pulls Hanlon into no-mans land. This allows GMS to run into a big space behind Stevenson. At the last moment Hanlon realises he is out of position, but it's too late. Stevenson is flat on his heels and gets caught trying to turn. The gaps between the players are huge and the back four/defensive mids are not working as a unit -- stick or twist but at least close the gaps.

It's actually a very good goal with all the Aberdeen players involved doing their jobs perfectly. Hanlon could have stayed and he would have just swept up GMS's run, but that's easy to say with hindsight.

@hibs.net private member Monktonhall 7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    This!

It's something which has irritated me immensely in the past - particularly in derbies - where numerous non-decisions in favour of, usually the more cynical side (ie failing to issue deserved yellow cards or letting constant niggly fouls go unpunished) end up potentially making the difference in tight games.

It's not that any particular decision would necessarily be a game changer but when you add up all the attacks unfairly impeded and defenders allowed to continue making full blooded challenges when they should be walking a tightrope you can only conclude that the outcome of a tight game could easily be influenced. That is WHY certain managers encourage their players to cheat afterall and it's up to the officials to clamp down on it.

I would not accuse McLean of any kind of bias on Saturday - only of adhering to the prevailing standards in Scottish refereeing - which far too often allow cloggers and cynical play to prevail over skill and ability.
    I agree 100%. If the SFA did its job we would see much better entertaining football. I'm sure this is not a popular view, but at the Comeback Derby on the way to winning the cup, Thompson rightly gave us a foul every time they did what Aberdeen did to us on Saturday, and the footballing team where the winners.

Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post

Dundee Utd's success in the 80's was, partly, built on these tactics - that and constantly passing the ball back to the goalkeeper to kill games. As soon as the passback was banned they were rooked.
    Last edited by Kato; 17-10-2017 at 11:01 AM.