hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergey View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ditto in North London. It's as if you are looking through an orange filter. Really weird effect that's quite surreal.
    Certainly was.

Lot's of birds heading of in a northerly direction, too.

I though about 1pm, the air smelled really like the med then later on it smelt smoky.

Not as odd as after Bunsfield but not far off.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Jambo Kickback's Flump of the Year 2008 Sergey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    Certainly was.

I though about 1pm, the air smelled really like the med then later on it smelt smoky.

Speaking of Bunsfield - I was downwind and this was the picture from my back yard.

That's smoke - not a cloud.

Bunsfield.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberSauzee View Post
    Going from orange to yellow then back to orange. Very strange.
    Quite strange here too tonight. Orange sun with an orange hazy cloud surrounding it.

Blog Entries
    Iíve just watched the BBC news showing a tosser taking a swim on the West Coast of Ireland ( possibly Galway Bay). I trust he survived his lunacy but what about the safety of the poor folk who would be expected to risk their lives to rescue him?

@hibs.net private member Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    Certainly was.

The smokey smell is apparently from the forest fires in Portugal.

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    Iíve just watched the BBC news showing a tosser taking a swim on the West Coast of Ireland ( possibly Galway Bay). I trust he survived his lunacy but what about the safety of the poor folk who would be expected to risk their lives to rescue him?
    Yeah so selfish..Heres a surf town but the local rescue crew put out a plea to tell folk to stay out..Explaining the effect it has on those who have to go out there & rescue them. From looking at the webcam it worked..And apart from a few idiots walking down the beach front it was clear.

The worst seems to have gone past us now..A wee bit hairy for an hour or so but not too much worse than a normally windy day here. Hope it stays reasonable for all my friends and family back home.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalianwanda View Post
    Yeah so selfish..Heres a surf town but the local rescue crew put out a plea to tell folk to stay out..Explaining the effect it has on those who have to go out there & rescue them. From looking at the webcam it worked..And apart from a few idiots walking down the beach front it was clear.

The worst seems to have gone past us now..A wee bit hairy for an hour or so but not too much worse than a normally windy day here. Hope it stays reasonable for all my friends and family back home.
    My daughter and family are on Luing just now and will be experiencing the storm as I write this. Hope all is well and good luck to everyone in itís path.

I only want to say the Scottish Cup is in the bag... Sir David Gray's Avatar
    I would honestly leave people like that to fend for themselves.

There's no way that the brave men and women who work for the emergency services should be expected to put their own lives in danger to save clowns like that who have deliberately and selfishly put themselves in that situation.
    HIBERNIAN F.C. - SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016

I'm led to believe this is him.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=529314224067945&id=1363323800 32800
    Space to let

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    I would honestly leave people like that to fend for themselves.

There's no way that the brave men and women who work for the emergency services should be expected to put their own lives in danger to save clowns like that who have deliberately and selfishly put themselves in that situation.
    A few years ago I was with a group who were up in Fort William with the intention of climbing Ben Nevis by the CMD Artete route. This was in February and even in summer it's a challenging route, by Scottish standards. I knew it was way beyond the level of experience and skills I had at the time so was only really there for the beers. The group I was with were all experienced, followed all the correct procedures, had every piece of equipment they needed, checked the weather etc and off they went.

The start of their route passes the 'tourist trail' which is a fairly easy slog up the mountain in summer. They met a guy with 2 kids and they were all in trainers and carrying small rucksacks that clearly never had the capacity for the equipment required to go up a mountain in winter conditions. They queried the guys plans and his stock reply was just 'it's the tourist route' over and over again. Eventually the realised they weren't getting through to him so they set off on their own walk and notified Mountain Rescue there was a poorly equipped group planning to climb. A couple of hours later the weather took an unexpected turn for the worse so my mates, sensibly, headed down. That night we were all in the pub and got chatting to a group of guys who it turned out were the local Mountain Rescue. They were telling us about the idiots they had to go out and get in the snow because they were poorly equipped, didn't have a compass and had lost their path because, shock horror, it wasn't visible in the snow in winter. Lo and behold it was a father and 2 young children, one of whom had ended up in hospital with the early signs of hypothermia.

They said that in the winter this was par for the course as people just didn't heed the warnings and thought nothing of putting either themselves or others in danger. Ultimately anyone can end up in a dangerous situation but there are a fair few selfish idiots who don't seem to ever consider the consequences of their actions.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    Up until I posted that last night there hadn't really been much of a push to get the info out there, yellow warnings were issued, but really amber would've been far more appropriate for what we're about to get. I think the warning system might need to be looked at as when people hear "yellow warning" or "amber warning" I don't think it has much of an impact.

Looks like Amber warnings have now been issued for parts of Scotland.
    I've been getting updates through work since Thursday and it's been on a few websites too, such as the BBC. Not sure where you're getting your lack of media coverage comment from.

Below from Saturday 14th

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/41622049
    Last edited by theonlywayisup; 17-10-2017 at 08:23 AM.

I only want to say the Scottish Cup is in the bag... Sir David Gray's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    A few years ago I was with a group who were up in Fort William with the intention of climbing Ben Nevis by the CMD Artete route. This was in February and even in summer it's a challenging route, by Scottish standards. I knew it was way beyond the level of experience and skills I had at the time so was only really there for the beers. The group I was with were all experienced, followed all the correct procedures, had every piece of equipment they needed, checked the weather etc and off they went.

The start of their route passes the 'tourist trail' which is a fairly easy slog up the mountain in summer. They met a guy with 2 kids and they were all in trainers and carrying small rucksacks that clearly never had the capacity for the equipment required to go up a mountain in winter conditions. They queried the guys plans and his stock reply was just 'it's the tourist route' over and over again. Eventually the realised they weren't getting through to him so they set off on their own walk and notified Mountain Rescue there was a poorly equipped group planning to climb. A couple of hours later the weather took an unexpected turn for the worse so my mates, sensibly, headed down. That night we were all in the pub and got chatting to a group of guys who it turned out were the local Mountain Rescue. They were telling us about the idiots they had to go out and get in the snow because they were poorly equipped, didn't have a compass and had lost their path because, shock horror, it wasn't visible in the snow in winter. Lo and behold it was a father and 2 young children, one of whom had ended up in hospital with the early signs of hypothermia.

They said that in the winter this was par for the course as people just didn't heed the warnings and thought nothing of putting either themselves or others in danger. Ultimately anyone can end up in a dangerous situation but there are a fair few selfish idiots who don't seem to ever consider the consequences of their actions.
    That's ridiculous behaviour from the father. In those circumstances, you can't hold it against the children so it's only right that they were rescued.

The guy who went swimming yesterday during a storm that had only just been downgraded from a hurricane is beyond stupid and I honestly would have left him.

I remember hearing from some people in Florida who had decided to stay in their homes during the hurricane that hit them a few weeks ago despite a mandatory evacuation order and they said that one consequence of their decision to stay was that they would not have been prioritised by the emergency services if they had got into trouble during the storm.

I think that's only fair. Mandatory evacuation orders and red alert weather warnings get announced for a reason.
    HIBERNIAN F.C. - SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016

I encountered something similar on that route a few years ago. I'd walked up the tourist trail but diverted towards Carn Mor Dearg which was my destination. A couple of kilometres past the halfway loch I met an individual coming towards me. "Do you know where we are?" was his question. He was a charity walker, well-intentioned and probably reasonably fit, but with no navigation skill. I told him to keep on the direction he was heading and go downwards when there was a choice of paths. I assume he made it back to safety as it was a nice summer day.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar

10 years as a paramedic have taught me that there's no limit to the lengths some people will go to receive a Darwin Award.