hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Think it depends on whether or not you are Scottish ........ When I was a kid I was pals with a family of 'Steens' and of course there's Jock 'Steen'

But Rick 'Steen' the English TV chef is Rick 'Stine' and then there's American Chris 'Stein' of popular 1980's beat combo Blondie
    If its German, ein is pronounced ine but Americans will do their own thing.

I pronounce is WineStine myself.
    Last edited by Colr; 17-10-2017 at 12:03 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    I'd doubt it. That's from the late 70's, before Miramax took off.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk
    I suppose they were just highlighting the existence of these predators. The words of the song are really apt.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    I suppose they were just highlighting the existence of these predators. The words of the song are really apt.
    Douglas Fairbanks was sometimes known as the King of Hollywood. He was also known for putting it about.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Douglas Fairbanks was sometimes known as the King of Hollywood. He was also known for putting it about.

Aye, but putting it about is one thing; when it's between consenting adults, that's their business. The culture of the casting coach and, worse, sexual assault is something else entirely. Promiscuity is between the individual and their conscience; abuse of power and institutional sexual harassment still remains rife in the workplace.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    Aye, but putting it about is one thing; when it's between consenting adults, that's their business. The culture of the casting coach and, worse, sexual assault is something else entirely. Promiscuity is between the individual and their conscience; abuse of power and institutional sexual harassment still remains rife in the workplace.
    I'm not disagreeing. My post was about the question of the song, and suggesting that it might have been about him.

I'm not disagreeing. My post was about the question of the song, and suggesting that it might have been about him.

Aye, I know.

The number of women who have come forward so far is now above forty. The allegations range from sexual harassment through to rape. I think it's reasonable to assume other celebrity names will be mentioned in relation to similar behaviour.

What's happening with the Bill Cosby now?

The number of women who have come forward so far is now above forty. The allegations range from sexual harassment through to rape. I think it's reasonable to assume other celebrity names will be mentioned in relation to similar behaviour.

What's happening with the Bill Cosby now?
    Retrial next month.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Has he been arrested yet? If not, why not?
    The statute of limitations had expired on all accusations, thats why. However, a 2013 accusation has recently been made, jurisdiction is LA, being investigated I presume.

Was he a bullying, abusive, psychopathic **** in his business life as well?

Kevin Spacey facing accusations of improper behaviour with a child. Is the grotesque underbelly of Hollywood about to be blown wide open?

Kevin Spacey facing accusations of improper behaviour with a child. Is the grotesque underbelly of Hollywood about to be blown wide open?

Very disappointing that he chose to link his apology to his coming out.

Yip terrible statement from him.

As a side issue, the varying pronunciation of "harrass" is ripping my knitting.

As I understand it, the UK version is "harris", and the US "her-ass" (no pun intended). But both versions have been littering the BBC........

Does seem like a cynical diversionary tactic. He casually brushes off the accusation of making advances towards a child with "if I did that, I'm very sorry".

Does seem like a cynical diversionary tactic. He casually brushes off the accusation of making advances towards a child with "if I did that, I'm very sorry".
    Yep.... "I was drunk" "I don't remember" etc etc. Which begs the question..... did it happen often?

All of which is manna for those who would conflate gay men with child abuse.

I used to think KS was one of the good guys.....

As a side issue, the varying pronunciation of "harrass" is ripping my knitting.

As I understand it, the UK version is "harris", and the US "her-ass" (no pun intended). But both versions have been littering the BBC........
    You're behind the times ...

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/harass

Usage
    There are two possible pronunciations of the word harass: one with the stress on the har- and the other with the stress on the -ass. The former pronunciation is the older one and is regarded by some people as the only correct one, especially in British English. However, the pronunciation with the stress on the second syllable -rass is very common and is now accepted as a standard alternative

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Knitting duly placated.

Thank you

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Whilst I think there's no doubt that Harvey Weinstein is a ****my ******* who is guilty of the most deviant kind of sexual abuse, the whole follow on accusations have opened up an interesting debate as to what can be viewed as abuse and where the line is drawn between flirtatious behaviour and abuse. I've witnessed in the past some guys who can't take no for an answer and continued their aggressive amorous approach regardless and then were finally actually rewarded for their persistence. Whilst there's no way I'm condoning abuse in any way, I can't help but think some men are encouraged by past success for their persistence to cross the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Whilst I think there's no doubt that Harvey Weinstein is a ****my ******* who is guilty of the most deviant kind of sexual abuse, the whole follow on accusations have opened up an interesting debate as to what can be viewed as abuse and where the line is drawn between flirtatious behaviour and abuse. I've witnessed in the past some guys who can't take no for an answer and continued their aggressive amorous approach regardless and then were finally actually rewarded for their persistence. Whilst there's no way I'm condoning abuse in any way, I can't help but think some men are encouraged by past success for their persistence to cross the line.
    In the mind and heart of the recipient. Always. Only he/she can draw that line.

I read that a lot but is it really true? I saw a report recently where a woman was claiming sexual abuse because an elderly gentleman in a wheelchair had placed his hand on her knee whilst talking to her, his wife was even present at the time. Surely what was in the mind and heart of the benefactor also has to be taken into account when deciding what can be considered as sexual assault?

I read that a lot but is it really true? I saw a report recently where a woman was claiming sexual abuse because an elderly gentleman in a wheelchair had placed his hand on her knee whilst talking to her, his wife was even present at the time. Surely what was in the mind and heart of the benefactor also has to be taken into account when deciding what can be considered as sexual assault?
    If she genuinely "feels" it, then IMO it is abuse. A problem arises when she "thinks" it is (perhaps because someone else, or society, or the media, tells her that it is), but doesn't necessarily "feel" that. That would be one for the lawyers

It's almost irrelevant what the intentions of the giver are. If in doubt, just don't, would be the best advice. That's not a particularly easy position to take for people who are naturally tactile, but it's the safest option.

EDIT... wasn't that elderly gent George Bush?

Any man who won't take no for an answer is a danger to women and clearly has personality issues. In the workplace, report to management; outside work, inform him the police will be contacted. That will soon stop the letches. It isn't acceptable any longer.

If she genuinely "feels" it, then IMO it is abuse. A problem arises when she "thinks" it is (perhaps because someone else, or society, or the media, tells her that it is), but doesn't necessarily "feel" that. That would be one for the lawyers

It's almost irrelevant what the intentions of the giver are. If in doubt, just don't, would be the best advice. That's not a particularly easy position to take for people who are naturally tactile, but it's the safest option.

EDIT... wasn't that elderly gent George Bush?
    It's a minefield, I've got a few female colleagues who can't finish a sentence without touching my hand, shoulder, chest or knee. It annoys the **** out of me and I keep telling them to stop but that only works for a short period of time before it kicks back in. The thing is it's just part of their character and as instinctive as nodding their heads when they agree with something. Although it bugs the **** out of me I'd never consider it to be inappropriate behaviour although I'm sure if this was male on female it might be construed by some as inappropriate.

Think Bush pinched the woman's bottom did he not? That definitely crosses the line IMO.

Any man who won't take no for an answer is a danger to women and clearly has personality issues. In the workplace, report to management; outside work, inform him the police will be contacted. That will soon stop the letches. It isn't acceptable any longer.
    Agreed, I'm not sure it was ever acceptable for some. But as previously mentioned some men have been conditioned by being rewarded for their persistence. It's creepy to think that someone might need to resort to reporting them to management or take legal action before they quit. But that's not what I'm trying to debate here.

That can't be right, can it? If it were, shirley anyone who claims to have been raped has been raped?

Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    That can't be right, can it? If it were, shirley anyone who claims to have been raped has been raped?
    We weren't talking about rape, though. It was about the line between "flirtatious behaviour and abuse".

We weren't talking about rape, though. It was about the line between "flirtatious behaviour and abuse".
    Still though, the recipient of an action can't be the sole arbiter of the seriousness of the action. That's mad. What if the recipient's someone with a severe mental health issue?

Defence Secretary Michael Fallon has resigned. Blimey!

Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    Still though, the recipient of an action can't be the sole arbiter of the seriousness of the action. That's mad. What if the recipient's someone with a severe mental health issue?
    I didn't say, or mean, the sole arbiter. But he/she is entitled to say or show how they feel..

Mental health issues or not, if they communicate that they are uncomfortable or upset, and the perpetrator continues to act in the same way, knowing the upset that is being caused, then hell mend them.