hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Harvey Weinstein

Hopefully we will now see the last of the appalling casting couch culture. I suspect the HW allegations are only the tip of the iceberg.
    It is worth noting that this situation does not only apply to women. There have been suggestions in the past that James Dean may have 'succumbed' to forward his career.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It is worth noting that this situation does not only apply to women.
    I think it pretty much does.

There's been a culture of this in Hollywood since silent movie times and it probably had to come to a head eventually. It would be interesting in a fly on the wall sort of way over these decades to see exactly how the culture developed .... I don't think I'm being too controversial in saying there has to be a chicken and egg element to it.

How often has 'what will you do to get the part' been 'I'll do anything to get the part' .............. Before I get jumped on don't think for a second I'm condoning the actions of HW because I'm not, but I think it would be naÔve to pretend the road to this situation was littered with one way street signs and in part at least encouraged folk like HW to push their luck with any young actress who knocked on their door.

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    There's been a culture of this in Hollywood since silent movie times and it probably had to come to a head eventually. It would be interesting in a fly on the wall sort of way over these decades to see exactly how the culture developed .... I don't think I'm being too controversial in saying there has to be a chicken and egg element to it.

How often has 'what will you do to get the part' been 'I'll do anything to get the part' .............. Before I get jumped on don't think for a second I'm condoning the actions of HW because I'm not, but I think it would be naÔve to pretend the road to this situation was littered with one way street signs and in part at least encouraged folk like HW to push their luck with any young actress who knocked on their door.

etc

Think I'll opt for the marginally less controversial topic of Why is his surname pronounced WineSteen? Shirley it ought to be WineStine or WeenSteen? Outrageous.

Has he been arrested yet? If not, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Power. He has plenty of it.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Due process, I 'spect....

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    etc

Think I'll opt for the marginally less controversial topic of Why is his surname pronounced WineSteen? Shirley it ought to be WineStine or WeenSteen? Outrageous.
    Think it depends on whether or not you are Scottish ........ When I was a kid I was pals with a family of 'Steens' and of course there's Jock 'Steen'

But Rick 'Steen' the English TV chef is Rick 'Stine' and then there's American Chris 'Stein' of popular 1980's beat combo Blondie

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    I always called Rick Stein - Steen, until he did a show where he went to Germany where the Stines were big wheels. Some long lost uncle left no will and Rick ended up with enough cash to buy his first restaurant.

incidently, they are pronounced Stine.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    The guy is disgusting, but he's been all over the news for days, and it's as if the UK media is assuming we should know who he is. I can't be the only one who had never heard of him?
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Hereís one

Edinburgh - Ed-in-bu-ra
    Pittsburgh - Pitts-berg

Go figure?

J

@hibs.net private member Gatecrasher's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    Dictionary is the only place that success comes before work. Hard work is the price we must pay for success. I think you can accomplish anything if you're willing to pay the price. -Vince Lombardi

@hibs.net private member Newry Hibs's Avatar
    Looks like another person who will be deemed guilty of anything that anyone says he's done. Not a lot of use of the word 'alleged' when his victims are discussed.

Think it depends on whether or not you are Scottish ........ When I was a kid I was pals with a family of 'Steens' and of course there's Jock 'Steen'

But Rick 'Steen' the English TV chef is Rick 'Stine' and then there's American Chris 'Stein' of popular 1980's beat combo Blondie
    Nobody calls the scientific genius Norman Einstein "IneSteen". The notorious fat perv's surname is the same with a W in front. It should be WineStine unless he's a fat Scottish perv, in which case perhaps WeenSteen. "WineSteen" is illogical captain. Other W*n*st**n suggestions are available.

Quote Originally Posted by Newry Hibs View Post
    Looks like another person who will be deemed guilty of anything that anyone says he's done. Not a lot of use of the word 'alleged' when his victims are discussed.
    Probably because the victims been coming forward in their dozens. Which is what normally happens when you have a serial sexual predator unmasked.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    etc

Calm down, LH. If you're not careful, you might turn into Harvey Wallbanger

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    Hereís one

Edinburgh - Ed-in-bu-ra
    Pittsburgh - Pitts-berg

Go figure?

J
    Different but at least consistent within countries. Edinburgh, Fraserburgh, Leverburgh, Peterborough.
    Pittsburgh, St Petersburg.

Harv the perv's surname isn't even consistent in itself!

Quote Originally Posted by Newry Hibs View Post
    Given that he has checked himself into rehab, I'd say he has admitted being guilty of something.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    A different but related issue: did anyone see the news report last week about the young woman who was sexually assaulted THREE times whilst walking home at night in London? Not the same perpetrator but three separate incidents. This surely couldn't be a coincidence: are there men roaming our cities at night actively looking for women to assault; for vulnerable prey? Being a man, it isn't something I need worry about; I just assume I will get to my destination safely, but this story made me think about how I can take my safety for granted and needn't worry about harassment or worse on routine journeys.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Nobody calls the scientific genius Norman Einstein "IneSteen". The notorious fat perv's surname is the same with a W in front. It should be WineStine unless he's a fat Scottish perv, in which case perhaps WeenSteen. "WineSteen" is illogical captain. Other W*n*st**n suggestions are available.
    VineShtine, I think would be the original German pronunciation.

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Due process, I 'spect....

Not think he should have been at least questioned by now rather than swanning off to rehab?

Not think he should have been at least questioned by now rather than swanning off to rehab?
    TBH, I'd rather the police took their time to investigate the complaints properly, and ignored the noise. The starting-point for that would be the complainants themselves; hearing their statements, and doing everything professionally.

It's the best way to get any justice, IMO. Otherwise, HW has the resources to challenge every little scrap of evidence.

Lewd behaviour never done Trump any harm, as per his conversation admitting to groping and trying to kiss women.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    Was it not Corey Feldman and few other ex 'child actors' who tried to raise the lid on a massive hollywood peado ring a few years back. I wonder if this instance helps lift the lid on that as well. Heres hoping.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    TBH, I'd rather the police took their time to investigate the complaints properly, and ignored the noise. The starting-point for that would be the complainants themselves; hearing their statements, and doing everything professionally.

It's the best way to get any justice, IMO. Otherwise, HW has the resources to challenge every little scrap of evidence.

If he stayed in the UK he would have been arrested by now and remanded in custody so the police investigate things, sure i read there had been a complaint of rape from one victim, should be enough to charge him, but no doubt in USA he will get bailed quite easily, sure he will have the money to pay the bail.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibee87 View Post
    Was it not Corey Feldman and few other ex 'child actors' who tried to raise the lid on a massive hollywood peado ring a few years back. I wonder if this instance helps lift the lid on that as well. Heres hoping.
    Heart-rending.

https://hotair.com/archives/2017/10/...-saying-years/

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    Yeah, thats what I was thinking of. Lets hope its all exposed of the back of this (being ignored for 6 years, at least, must be difficult for him)

You mean.... women have been asked if they want to play a game that has had its rules set by men? And, if they don't play it, they automatically lose?

That's the patriarchy, sadly, and doesn't just apply to showbiz.

Of all the comments that have been flying around, the one I found most baffling was Donna Karan's. A woman who has made a career out of designing clothes for women, and she suggests that some women might have been "asking for it." https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...einstein-women

Blog Entries
    Were The Eagles singing about this creep on their track, The King Of Hollywood?

Listen to the lyrics.

https://youtu.be/ga0VeZyQLhg

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    Were The Eagles singing about this creep on their track, The King Of Hollywood?

Listen to the lyrics.

https://youtu.be/ga0VeZyQLhg
    I'd doubt it. That's from the late 70's, before Miramax took off.