hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Dylan Mcgeough

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar

Dylan Mcgeough

One observation from today's game is I'm not sure what role DM was playing in the team? Dylan is a skilled player but whatever his role today didn't seem to work, it looked like he was playing some sort of roaming role, but just looked out of position and gave ball away quite a lot. I'm not singling Dylan out for criticism just not sure what system NL is deploying? Thought Aberdeen bossed a lot of the game tiday

2. Log in to remove the advert

Wasted in that position today. Man short IMO but that isn't really a reflection on him. Same could possibly be said of Slivka.

Testimonial Due Booked4Being-Ugly's Avatar
    I'm not sure what his exact role was, probably to add a bit of composure and support in attack but he frustrated me today.

Problem was he was ponderous in possession and his passing was woeful, especially in the 1st half. His final ball when we were in attack (i think it was 3 v 2) just before half time was criminal.

Came onto a game in the last 20 mins when he had a bit more freedom to operate.

It was a bizarre role to ask him to play especially as it seemed to rely on McGinn keeping the shackles on and sitting deep, early on at any rate.

I said as soon as I saw how we lined up. Dylan is good at taking the ball from the defence, taking a few seconds and moving it on. Playing him where we did denied us having a player shortening the game and taking it deep so quote often we resorted to the ball over the top and it also made DM somewhat ineffective as he didn't get his usual time and seemed a bit lost. No surprise he improved late on as the game stretched and he started to get time.

We still look very disjointed imo and I'm not sure Lennon has quite worked out the balance and formula that works in midfield and goong forward yet.

Quote Originally Posted by LancsHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One observation from today's game is I'm not sure what role DM was playing in the team? Dylan is a skilled player but whatever his role today didn't seem to work, it looked like he was playing some sort of roaming role, but just looked out of position and gave ball away quite a lot. I'm not singling Dylan out for criticism just not sure what system NL is deploying? Thought Aberdeen bossed a lot of the game tiday

Aberdeen bossed a lot of the game today???? Clearly at a different game from the one I was at!

I thought Dylan was brilliant today. People need to see that we played the equal best team in the country today. That we were the better team but couldnt break them down. They got one chance and took it.

Dylan plays best when he's sitting deep like a quarterback and dictating the play, unfortunately with Bartley in the team they get in each others way so it looks like he's being asked to play higher up the pitch where there's less time for him to play his natural game.

was poor today. too many slack balls especially the break right before half time. was a victim of tactics. Lennon needs to find the best way to make this lot work asap

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    I thought Dylan was disappointing. The position he was being asked to play in was such that I expect more creatively from him but too many passes were backwards or sideways. Still to convince me he’s as good as many on here make out.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 Mickey Weir View Post
    I thought Dylan was brilliant today. People need to see that we played the equal best team in the country today. That we were the better team but couldnt break them down. They got one chance and took it.
    He wasn't brilliant at all. He's playing too deep when we have similar around him even more defensive minded.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Eh. The cross field pass start of the second half was about the only one he made the whole afternoon. While he never hid to consider that performance brilliant is beyond me.

Regardless of today we need to get the boy signed up very soon.

I don’t rate McGeough quite as highly as most on here, but wasn’t at the game so can’t comment on today. However.. the equal best team in the country?!

I fear Slivka signed to replace Dylan. He gets central role therefore and Dylan has to play out position. I doubt hell be Hibs next season. My feeling only.

I was there and had him as MOM. Opinions do vary tho.

Quote Originally Posted by pacorosssco View Post
    I fear Slivka signed to replace Dylan. He gets central role therefore and Dylan has to play out position. I doubt hell be Hibs next season. My feeling only.
    Slivka played wide right not central.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Slivka played wide right not central.
    Ok but Dylan not at best since arrived. Not his fault.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post
    Regardless of today we need to get the boy signed up very soon.
    At end of game Mcinnes came onto pitch and had a word with Dylan.
    Wouldn't be surprised to see Aberdeen try to sign him in January.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thegreenside View Post
    was poor today. too many slack balls especially the break right before half time. was a victim of tactics. Lennon needs to find the best way to make this lot wasap
    Missed a glorious chance to let McGinn in on goal yesterday first half wil a simple cross ball but messed up. Could not pass water against the Sheep

I'm in the "not entirely convinced" camp. Has lots of ability for sure , but the twists, turns and piruetes rarely turn into killer passes, shots or runs. More often that not he makes a sideways pass.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Thought he was far better when Bartley went off, and he played in the deeper role. I’m not convinced the forward position is his best
    Great wee player though, and I’d start him every week

McGeoch is a quality player and one who can dictate a game when played in a straight midfield role, forme.he.was. eing asked.to play in an almost attacking.midfield.role which isn't in my view his strength ...I thought he played very well but struggled to make the usual impact as there was not a lot of options around and ahead if him ...if he becomes.open to other teams then he will find.no shortage of takers, especially as he seems to have found his fitness.
    As someone said differing views on players, but if m ginn goes.Dylan will become a really key player for us in the.midfield role ...I dont.think Slivka arrivalhas affected Dylans game, I think its the role and way McGinn plays that has most.impact on Dylan ...hence i think NL is trying to find out and give them.game.time.to try and get them.playing much more effectively together ..

Quote Originally Posted by keep the faith View Post
    I'm in the "not entirely convinced" camp. Has lots of ability for sure , but the twists, turns and piruetes rarely turn into killer passes, shots or runs. More often that not he makes a sideways pass.
    The sideways pass is the most underrated move in football. There's a reason Sergio Busquets, for example, has 100 caps for Spain and nearly 300 appearances for Barcelona. He rarely stands out but he is vital to their ability to retain possession the way they do.

It's a skill vastly undervalued in Scottish football and I cringe when I hear the howls from fans when a player elects to keep his team on the ball rather than launching a ball into the corner or trying to force a pass that isn't on.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    The sideways pass is the most underrated move in football. There's a reason Sergio Busquets, for example, has 100 caps for Spain and nearly 300 appearances for Barcelona. He rarely stands out but he is vital to their ability to retain possession the way they do.

It's a skill vastly undervalued in Scottish football and I cringe when I hear the howls from fans when a player elects to keep his team on the ball rather than launching a ball into the corner or trying to force a pass that isn't on.
    He’ll be crucial on Saturday, keeping the ball against Celtic is a paramount

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Amazing how we see things differently. I’ve never questioned his ability but my issue with him is he plays more often than not in far too deep a position and doesn’t influence a game where it really matters - in the final third.

Against Celtic and in the first half yesterday I thought he was very good but was less effective in the second half when he reverted back to the deeper lying position. He showed in the semi last season what he is capable of when he drives forward into the opposition box. I’d like to see him do more of that and take more shots on goal (not the only player that could be said of) instead of passing.

All about opinions I suppose.