hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is how it feels (Aberdeen 14 October)

Over the many years I’ve watched Hibs v Aberdeen games I’ve often been impressed with the Dons and their style of football. Today brought me the opposite reaction, watching a Dons side playing anti-football and using fair means and foul to beat a Hibs team that played well enough but failed to deliver where it matters, in the final third. To be fair, Aberdeen did have passages of play worthy of their predecessors, but they were few and far between as getting eleven men behind the ball and kicking any Hibs player that looked to be causing them danger went largely unpunished by a poor referee.

I’m trying hard not to offer up my thoughts as a rant against a side that defended in depth and took every opportunity to waste time, after taking the lead in the 38th minute, but it’s not an easy task and at the end of the day, Hibs just weren’t cute enough to capitalise on their dour approach.

I felt that for the first fifteen minutes or so we played like we did at Celtic Park and stood off the Dons, allowing them time in possession. After that, we started to play a bit and were unlucky not to score from a Whittaker header and a cracking Slivka drive that hit the outside of the post. What was worrying me was the amount of second ball we were allowing Aberdeen to have and that cost us the opening and only goal of the game. Slack play allowed McLean to gather the ball in, put a super ball through behind Stevenson and Mackay-Steven did what Martin Boyle failed to do the whole game in anticipating the pass before drawing Laidlaw off his line and slotting the ball low beyond him.

From that moment on, there was only one side looking to score and it wasn’t the Dons. Their negativity surprised me because I thought a team sharing top spot in our league would play decent football and try and add to their opener. Instead they all got behind the ball when not in possession and resorted to hacking down any Hibs player that looked like they may cause a problem. Referee Steven McLean was, to my mind, overly lenient of these tactics and totally baffled the crowd by allowing such hacks to go unpunished whilst booking John McGinn for a challenge where the Hibs man clearly won the ball.

A goal down at half time was the same situation that we faced at Celtic Park and I hoped we could go on and play like we did there with Stokes bringing out a quality save from a free kick, not long into the second period. For long spells we dominated the ball but just couldn’t find that crucial pass as the Dons packed their penalty area. On numerous occasions we held off from taking a shot at goal, allowing blocks to deflect or clear those efforts and although the referee quite rightly added five minutes of additional time we just couldn’t get the equaliser I felt our efforts deserved.

The players

Laidlaw – no chance with the goal and commanded his area pretty well throughout.

Whitty – had what I feel has been his best performance since his return. If I could pick a fault it was with his final cross into the box.

Efe – played well and his anticipation of where the ball might arrive is a joy to behold. In true Efe fashion, he threw in a couple of nut-megs today, just to keep us on our toes.

Hanlon – was battered and barged throughout by Rooney but stood his ground, was excellent in the air/on the ground and earned the sponsors man of the match, a decision I wholeheartedly agree with.

Lewis – badly caught out for the goal but given the lack of support offered by Boyler he did pretty well and though he probably deserved his booking he must have been mightily peeved when similar challenges from Aberdeen players went unpunished.

Slivka – a quiet game and I’ll say again what I’ve said before, he is wasted in the wide right position. Was unlucky when his snap shot hit the outside of the post as, had it been on target it was a goal, Joe Lewis in the Aberdeen goal being rooted to the spot.

Dylan – the wee man is such a good footballer and great in possession. If I were to highlight what I perceive as a fault in his game it would be that he sometimes delays the obvious pass unnecessarily.

Marv – big man was excellent today, mopping up when team mates got into trouble. At first I was surprised he was being subbed but it soon dawned on me that NL was trying to enhance our attacking option while realising that Aberdeen had settled for the one goal and would rarely venture forward.

SJM – I wish I had a pound for every time he was scythed down today. It was disgraceful that Steven McLean allowed it to go largely unpunished and I’m still mystified as to why McGinn’s brilliantly timed tackle in midfield earned a yellow when he clearly and fairly won the ball.

Boyler – Martin was not at the races today. Seemed to be caught on his heels a lot and unable to anticipate where Stokes might play the ball too.

Stokes – such a clever player who reads the game so well. He was unlucky with his free kick and unlucky to be let down in terms of getting support up to him when he had the ball.

Barker – took a while to settle in but later in the game had a number of telling runs and it was obvious the Dons didn’t like that as they crowded him out on numerous occasions.

Danny – easily barged off the ball but he’s gutsy, I’ll give him that. His magic feet got him into dangerous positions a few times but there were so many red shirts in the box it was impossible for him to break through.

Simon – I wanted him on at half time for Boyle as I felt his pace and willingness to track back would have served us better. As it was he got ten minutes and little or no opportunity to hurt them.

Neil Lennon – I listened to Lenny’s after match interview and it was hard to disagree with what he said although I feel he over-egged it in saying we were excellent. We played well enough but not in the areas that matter and given that Aberdeen’s tactic after scoring was obvious, I felt the subs should have been made sooner. One thing I did notice, deep into injury time was Neil finger pointing at what I can only assume was an irate fan. I’d like to have heard that exchange!

Referee – all the ‘good will’ I felt towards him following his performance on 21st May 2016, went out of the window today. This was a baffling and inept performance by the man with the whistle but I guess he may think he’s done his job as both sets of fans were booing him during the game.
    This is how it feels

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    I always enjoy these reports JC but today in particular, I agree with every single point you make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Great analysis. McLean was atrocious and seems to have regressed hugely allowed them to get away with murder, gms Christie Logan should have been booked and how May didn't walk for a horrific foul on Boyle only he will know.

Absolutely spot on Jonnyboy. Top report. Agree with every single word. You are better than most of the newspaper journos out there.

@hibs.net private member Seveno's Avatar
    Spot on as always. In the past, I would always have been happy with McLean as referee but he was awful today. SJM must be black and blue.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Excellent summary John. McGinn seemed to be brought down every time he got on the ball. I thought the ref was far too lenient today.

United we stand here....

Agree with much of that.

We played well enough in certain areas but offered little in the final 3rd against a team content to take what they had.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibees62
    Well summed up mate.
    How they got away with some of the time wasting and constant fouling of our players in particular John McGinn baffled me.
    Also in the first half could someone tell the East stand linesman that when a player is onside when the ball is played means he is not offside ?

@hibs.net private member Argylehibby's Avatar
    Great summing up of the day JB. I said at the game we lack the skills that Aberdeen have in the darker side of the game. Blocking runs, little nudges etc that disrupt the flow and more often than not today went unpunished. How did their no. 7 get away with a wee chat for that block on Lewis in the first half.

In McKay-Stevens they have the most detestable little **** in Scottish football. He dives, cheats and niggles all game long, and has done his entire career, yet never gets pulled up for it.

The ref had a great game from our point of view in the cup final, since then I feel he's looked to redress that with the hierarchy in the game here and has had some shockers against us.

First Team Breakthrough
    Bang on with that summary. Amount of times ballboys would throw it right to an Aberdeen player to take goal kick or throw ins just for Logan/lewis in particular to kick it away again was unbelievable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great overall summary and I agree with the vast majority. The Dons were well drilled in their game plan and it worked. The ref was terrible today. No surprise perhaps. Overall, in a word, frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Argylehibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Great summing up of the day JB. I said at the game we lack the skills that Aberdeen have in the darker side of the game. Blocking runs, little nudges etc that disrupt the flow and more often than not today went unpunished. How did their no. 7 get away with a wee chat for that block on Lewis in the first half.

In McKay-Stevens they have the most detestable little **** in Scottish football. He dives, cheats and niggles all game long, and has done his entire career, yet never gets pulled up for it.

The ref had a great game from our point of view in the cup final, since then I feel he's looked to redress that with the hierarchy in the game here and has had some shockers against us.
    Agree the ref was as weak as a kitten and done us over big time. His constant lack of application of the laws was staggering and helped Aberdeen massively given their main tactic was to foul cynically. May trying to break boyles leg was such a blatant red it was laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by Argylehibby View Post

I've met gms and thought he was a decent guy but that changed today. No idea why he felt the need to gesture at the 'family section' either. Fair enough of folk in the east are giving you it tight but the family section? what's the need?

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    sure i read somewhere gms is/was a hibby

or maybe naw

Johnny, no argument from me on that summary. And, as for MoM Hanlon, hopefully the next Scotland manager (along with the media and a section of the Hibs support) will notice the classy centre-half constantly ignored for the international selection he richly deserves.

Just had a look on their forum. They're worse than the yams for calling themselves "the famous".

@hibs.net private member
    It was the classic Yam tactic of fouling by rotation. First one then the next and avoiding yellows.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Great summary. McLean was very poor today. Only point of debate was Dylan. His passing was well off today. No lack of willing but a bad day in the office.

@hibs.net private member
    Completely agree Jonny. I was surprised that a team with so many footballers in it could be so negative. I said I'd be disappointed by that (obviously not the result) and a few folk missed my point - why would McInnes buy players like May and Christie if he wants to use them as cloggers?

Testimonial Due
    "Anti-football" is perhaps a little harsh but I know what you mean. It was reminiscent of so many of those games in the championship; Aberdeen had 11 players behind the ball for most of the second half. Ultimately, we have to take it as a tribute that a side that are joint top of the SPL were happy with a smash and grab.

The ref let himself down very badly. I have never seen anything like Christie's time-wasting antics when he was being subbed and in letting it go unpunished McLean just accepted disrespect.

Not sure I would hold Laidlaw blameless for the goal; he was beaten from quite a tight angle.

Also thought Stokes was not at his best today; he seemed to realise he was not going to get much change out of McKenna and Arnason.

Paul Hanlon was immense; his tackle on GMS out on our left flank midway through the second half (on on of the few occasions the Dons broke forward) was quite magnificent.

Agree about the lack of a cutting edge in the final third; we never got the break of the ball today but the tendency to over-elaborate made me pine for Sparky (or even Jason).

Testimonial Due Booked4Being-Ugly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ehf View Post
    "Anti-football" is perhaps a little harsh but I know what you mean. It was reminiscent of so many of those games in the championship; Aberdeen had 11 players behind the ball for most of the second half. Ultimately, we have to take it as a tribute that a side that are joint top of the SPL were happy with a smash and grab.

The ref let himself down very badly. I have never seen anything like Christie's time-wasting antics when he was being subbed and in letting it go unpunished McLean just accepted disrespect.

Not sure I would hold Laidlaw blameless for the goal; he was beaten from quite a tight angle.

Also thought Stokes was not at his best today; he seemed to realise he was not going to get much change out of McKenna and Arnason.

Paul Hanlon was immense; his tackle on GMS out on our left flank midway through the second half (on on of the few occasions the Dons broke forward) was quite magnificent.

Agree about the lack of a cutting edge in the final third; we never got the break of the ball today but the tendency to over-elaborate made me pine for Sparky (or even Jason).
    I don't think so - that's exactly how i saw it. The sad thing was it was effective and the 'sport' of football got lost in the game due to the Dons tactics. That was the most disappointing aspect for me.

I enjoy reading your reports Jonny thanks as always for putting your thoughts down for us again.
    only point I would have differing opinion is re Whitaker, I thought he was a mile off it in the second half, opinions eh !!

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Booked4Being-Ugly View Post
    I don't think so - that's exactly how i saw it. The sad thing was it was effective and the 'sport' of football got lost in the game due to the Dons tactics. That was the most disappointing aspect for me.
    They were a disgrace. Anti football is exactly the term I'd use for it.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Excellent summary, btw, Jonnyboy.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    They were a disgrace. Anti football is exactly the term I'd use for it.
    Absolutely they quite simply got a way with murder. Yellow cards put a player under pressure and can change the game as can the red card for May. Summed up when Arnesen blatantly fouled Dylan then 5 seconds later SJM is booked for winning the ball. Shambolic by McLean.

Another very good summary. Thanks for posting.

But I disagree with our complaints about some of their tactics. The fouling of McGinn was disgusting, yes, but that aside they taught us a lesson in tactics.

Time wasting and packing their defence is up to them, they were a goal up.

Any team is free to play as they want. Sadly we huffed and puffed and were not good enough to break the down.

Taking the moral high ground about anti-football doesn’t cover up for our own shortcomings. We lacked quality in the final third, no composure in promising situations and were lacking height/ strength against a very well organised and physical defence.

All IMO of course

Left by mutual consent!
    I don't actually see anything wrong with what Aberdeen did today.

It was excellent game management and that is something we have been lacking this season.

@hibs.net private member staunchhibby's Avatar
    Can the so called compliance officer not take a look at the atrocious challenge by May.

Their goalkeeper should have been booked for timewasting. It started in about the 65th minute.

Aberdeen were brutal today. I agree, Anti football, Falkirk esque

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk