hibs.net Messageboard

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Hibs v Aberdeen

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Aberdeen are a good side, as their performances from the past couple of years prove. They beat us narrowly in a tight, competitive match; they remain a bit ahead of us, but we've made huge strides in the past couple of years. Let's not forget the bigger picture.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    21 May 2016
    As i have previously said, the best day of my life. What i get fed up of seeing though, is the continued use of we are only so many points away from where we want to be.

It reared its head again this season a couple of weeks ago when someone mentioned we were only a point off third.

We seem to always just be a couple of wins away, wouldn't it be nice to be the ones the others were chasing for a change?

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    In terms of Aberdeen we have went from beating them without too much issue under Stubbs to losing narrowly under Lennon. Not sure there has been a great deal of progress. We got out the lower league by being pragmatic just as Aberdeen were.
    Yeah but thanks to Neil Lennon we get to play them four times a season now.

I thought the first half contained more quality (from both sides) than we often see at Easter Road over several games.

IMO Hibs played well and I agree with those who say there's not that much between the teams.

However, although we are not far behind them, we lack a couple of important things that they have. I thought Ryan Christie was a joy to watch in the first half playing in the hole behind the striker - movement, touch, a bit of pace, good energy and excellent passer. The best player on the pitch in the first half. Also - much as I like Martin Boyle - he's never going to be as good as MacKay-Steven who also played well.

That's the area of the pitch where Aberdeen are ahead of us at the moment and the reason why they won't need as many chances as us to score.

McInnes has also added a bit of steel to them. Some have complained about their physicality on Saturday but I think McInnes will be delighted that his team can change during a game from attractive attacking football to solid and physical defence protecting a lead away from home.

As has been suggested on this thread - we need to find a way of being more effective in the final third. FWIW I thought both Swanson and Barker made quite a difference when they came on. Maybe we need to find a way to fit these guys into the team?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Yeah but thanks to Neil Lennon we get to play them four times a season now.
    Only if we finish in the top six as they certainly will.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    They will indeed, mainly because they’ve spent the last few years building a very strong and consistent side to compete for second. We’ve been plodding around trying to escape the championship. Give the club some time to get us to their level.

In terms of Aberdeen we have went from beating them without too much issue under Stubbs to losing narrowly under Lennon. Not sure there has been a great deal of progress. We got out the lower league by being pragmatic just as Aberdeen were.
    Hibs haven't beaten Aberdeen for yonks in a League Match. Hibs did beat them once in the League Cup under Stubbs. You can hardly draw inferences from one win under Stubbs and two narrow (and rather unlucky) defeats under Lennon.

Still a vast improvement on the occasional cup tie.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    The last two games v Aberdeen have been very close and there's not been much in it.

It would help our cause if our manager got the tactics right when we play them.

The gap between the sides is evident in the League table. Can we also take into account that they have a considerably higher budget than ours or is that bye the bye to people berating Hibs on here?

Quote Originally Posted by GreenOnions View Post
    I thought the first half contained more quality (from both sides) than we often see at Easter Road over several games.

IMO Hibs played well and I agree with those who say there's not that much between the teams.

However, although we are not far behind them, we lack a couple of important things that they have. I thought Ryan Christie was a joy to watch in the first half playing in the hole behind the striker - movement, touch, a bit of pace, good energy and excellent passer. The best player on the pitch in the first half. Also - much as I like Martin Boyle - he's never going to be as good as MacKay-Steven who also played well.

That's the area of the pitch where Aberdeen are ahead of us at the moment and the reason why they won't need as many chances as us to score.

McInnes has also added a bit of steel to them. Some have complained about their physicality on Saturday but I think McInnes will be delighted that his team can change during a game from attractive attacking football to solid and physical defence protecting a lead away from home.

As has been suggested on this thread - we need to find a way of being more effective in the final third. FWIW I thought both Swanson and Barker made quite a difference when they came on. Maybe we need to find a way to fit these guys into the team?
    I don't have a problem with physicality ...... Chopping down SJM twice as he started a run with the ball and a potential leg breaker on Martin Boyle goes beyond what I would consider physicality.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakedmanoncrack View Post
    I wish he would pi55 off with that cringe worthy nonsense.

AND belting out music right up to the first kick off the ball....they want atmosphere, kill the damn blaring music ffs

AND we don't need reminding every 5 mins which two teams are going to take part...it's hibernian fc v(insert opponents name), i guarantee 100% that everyone in the ground knows exactly which two teams are participating..including the away fans

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    As i have previously said, the best day of my life. What i get fed up of seeing though, is the continued use of we are only so many points away from where we want to be.

It reared its head again this season a couple of weeks ago when someone mentioned we were only a point off third.

We seem to always just be a couple of wins away, wouldn't it be nice to be the ones the others were chasing for a change?

Pretty much the situation we were in all last season and you were still wetting the bed regularly then.

Neil Lennon has encouraged us to think we should be challenging for 2nd. Mostly good performances but too many points dropped over this first run of games. Aberdeen are very good.

Let's keep the faith eh?

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Pretty much the situation we were in all last season and you were still wetting the bed regularly then.

Neil Lennon has encouraged us to think we should be challenging for 2nd. Mostly good performances but too many points dropped over this first run of games. Aberdeen are very good.

Let's keep the faith eh?
    When was i regularly wetting the bed last season, if you are going to make things up, you need to do better than that?

Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    AND belting out music right up to the first kick off the ball....they want atmosphere, kill the damn blaring music ffs
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post

AND we don't need reminding every 5 mins which two teams are going to take part...it's hibernian fc v(insert opponents name), i guarantee 100% that everyone in the ground knows exactly which two teams are participating..including the away fans
    especially this

Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    [B]

especially this
    He makes regular mistakes as well, the game against Hamilton was supposedly a championship figure and on sat supposedly our last game against Aberdeen was a 3-2 defeat in the final.