hibs.net Messageboard

Left by mutual consent!

The manager that got away

Steve Clarke, about to become manager of Kilmarnock.

100x better than Elbows and Golden Gaz. Interested to see how he does.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Fairly amazed he is taking them on especially given the lack of money available to change things significantly.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    I really wanted him as manager before we got Calderwood. Think he would have done a good job for us.

No idea what he’ll be like now. Has he not been out the game for a few years?

Either way it’s good to have experienced guys like him up here.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I really wanted him as manager before we got Calderwood. Think he would have done a good job for us.

No idea what he’ll be like now. Has he not been out the game for a few years?

Either way it’s good to have experienced guys like him up here.

Me too and I thought he was coming. We ended up with Calderwood who I still genuinely dislike more than Butcher for the way he acted.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    Fairly amazed he is taking them on especially given the lack of money available to change things significantly.
    Good post.

My first choice of relegated team would be Motherwell. Kilmarnock not far behind. I can't see any manager working miracles with the currant squad so its a surprise to see Clarke taken on the job.

GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    Me too and I thought he was coming. We ended up with Calderwood who I still genuinely dislike more than Butcher for the way he acted.
    He was coming but Petrie wouldn't stump up the extra money for him, all but signed till talk of wages put an end to it.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Something of a coup for Killie.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Great club Killie. Wee bit orange but hey?

They did the Hearts like flapping kippers in 1965.

"Shades" of Sir Albert.

Celtic won the cup too. Football took a sea change in that year.
    Last edited by heretoday; 14-10-2017 at 07:27 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    He was coming but Petrie wouldn't stump up the extra money for him, all but signed till talk of wages put an end to it.
    That's not true...Steve Clark himself discussed this in an interview. He said he was mystified by talk that he was close to getting the job. All he had was a 10 minute conversation with Petrie and then never heard anything again...

Horrible soulless club who are firmly up the ********s of the ugly sisters. Hope they drop like a stone and finally get relegated. ***** pitch as well!

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    That's not true...Steve Clark himself discussed this in an interview. He said he was mystified by talk that he was close to getting the job. All he had was a 10 minute conversation with Petrie and then never heard anything again...
    Funny what they say to press to keep folk in Football happy. He met directly with Petrie at least 3 times I know of as, a friend was part of the team doing the deal.

Petrie offered a final package it was agreed and when Clark said about his number 2 Petrie said the weekly wage for your number 2 was included in that. Clark got up and left.

Wasn’t meant to be. I actually didn’t know my friend was on this deal unti after it all kept it very quiet!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    Funny what they say to press to keep folk in Football happy. He met directly with Petrie at least 3 times I know of as, a friend was part of the team doing the deal.

Petrie offered a final package it was agreed and when Clark said about his number 2 Petrie said the weekly wage for your number 2 was included in that. Clark got up and left.

Wasn’t meant to be. I actually didn’t know my friend was on this deal unti after it all kept it very quiet!
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.sco...e-1-826973/amp

Given Clarke's conduct with Reading and Fulham I think we dodged a bullet.

He did have Reading playing very good football for about five games but then seemed to lose the dressing room very quickly. Not a likeable man.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    Horrible soulless club who are firmly up the ********s of the ugly sisters. Hope they drop like a stone and finally get relegated. ***** pitch as well!

Harsh I would say.

I always felt Killie have their own identity, albeit with an annoying habit of rolling over when the big Glasgow clubs come to visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Caversham Green View Post
    Given Clarke's conduct with Reading and Fulham I think we dodged a bullet.

He did have Reading playing very good football for about five games but then seemed to lose the dressing room very quickly. Not a likeable man.
    He's meant to be pretty good at drilling a defence not to lose goals from set pieces.

Pretty solid as a coach, I don't think he has the charisma to be a manager in his own right.

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    Clarke has been out of work for a while and needed a job. The longer you are not managing the more you become the forgotten man. The only way is up for Killie so could be a good appointment in time.

Hearts fans must surely be scratching their heads with this one. They ended up with Levein.