hibs.net Messageboard

Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: John Rahm.

  1. #1
    @hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Narnia
    Posts
    21,064

    John Rahm.

    Has the ability to right to the very top. I donít watch as much of the PGA tour these dats so good to see him playing in Italy this week. Hereís the but........... He really needs to accept the bad breaks or it will hold him back. Passion and will to win are great but his attitude so far, even tho heís 4 under going down the last, isnít great. Great box office I suppose but itís putting me off liking him even more. Heís not done anything outrageous but has the body language of a Billy Big Baws.

    Thats all I want to say really.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    First Team Breakthrough lgnsh70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    498
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Has the ability to right to the very top. I don’t watch as much of the PGA tour these dats so good to see him playing in Italy this week. Here’s the but........... He really needs to accept the bad breaks or it will hold him back. Passion and will to win are great but his attitude so far, even tho he’s 4 under going down the last, isn’t great. Great box office I suppose but it’s putting me off liking him even more. He’s not done anything outrageous but has the body language of a Billy Big Baws.

    Thats all I want to say really.
    Rahm has been playing really well lately, came close a few times to winning a fedex cup tournament against the top players in the world like Speith, Thomas, Dustin Johnson etc. He's got the talent. However it can all depend sometimes on the course or weather permitting or other factors and he's up playing against some hot to trot European talents that have been playing consistently well around their tour.

    I think today's leader will do well very well to finish around 14 or 15 under and as Rahm's looking as if he'll finish around 7 or 8 under then he's still in with a shout going into the weekend. He'll need to be raise his game though as he's competing against some lively European tour players.

    I'm on Pepperell who had a average round this morning and Coetzee who can tear a course up when in the mood but its a very competitive tournament and as we seen with Paul Dunne a couple of weeks ago they can come from way back and win it with a final round of 9 under.

    GGTTH

  4. #3
    Coaching Staff Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,663
    Rahm has a touch of the Andy Murray about him.

    Very strong and fit, super-committed, passionate and no shortage of natural ability. As you say though, there is a mental weakness there, he burns off too much energy getting wound up and he needs to curb that instinct pronto.

    Murray got a very good coach in Lendl who helped him loads. Rahm needs something/ someone similar.

    Sometimes I'm amazed at the emotional intelligence of young golfers. Having wobbled over a few 2 footers when playing for £1 with my mates, it is impressive to see guys in their late teens/ early twenties keep their cool with massive amounts of money and major tournaments at stake.

    McIlroy, Speith, Woods - there have been a few now.

    Rahm will probably chill out with age, with maturity he might get better. It would be a shame to see such talent go to waste because of his hot-headedness. At least time is most certainly on his side.



    I'm on Pepperell, Rahm and Fitzpatrick this week btw. I like Fitzpatrick's temperament, so whilst he doesn't have the power or ability that Rahm has, I could see him filling out and stepping up to be a major champion and big Ryder Cup player in future.
    Last edited by Smartie; 13-10-2017 at 04:33 PM.

  5. #4
    First Team Breakthrough lgnsh70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    498
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rahm has a touch of the Andy Murray about him.

    Very strong and fit, super-committed, passionate and no shortage of natural ability. As you say though, there is a mental weakness there, he burns off too much energy getting wound up and he needs to curb that instinct pronto.

    Murray got a very good coach in Lendl who helped him loads. Rahm needs something/ someone similar.

    Sometimes I'm amazing with the emotional intelligence of young golfers. Having wobbled over a few 2 footers when playing for £1 with my mates, it is impressive to see guys in their late teens/ early twenties keep their cool with massive amounts of money and major tournaments at stake.

    McIlroy, Speith, Woods - there have been a few now.

    Rahm will probably chill out with age, with maturity he might get better. It would be a shame to see such talent go to waste because of his hot-headedness. At least time is most certainly on his side.



    I'm on Pepperell, Rahm and Fitzpatrick this week btw. I like Fitzpatrick's temperament, so whilst he doesn't have the power or ability that Rahm has, I could see him filling out and stepping up to be a major champion and big Ryder Cup player in future.
    There's some really good young European tour players in their twenties establishing themselves and impressing with their scorecards and temperaments. Fitzpatrick, Pepperell, Jordan Smith, Paul Dunne etc etc. Tyrell Hatton just 25 won the Dunhill at a canter last week and had a cracking round today to put him in the mix. Some really good young English golfers in particular are making a name for themselves. Would be good to see some Scottish youngsters coming through too, maybe there is but I've just not noticed them.

    GGTTH

  6. #5
    @hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Narnia
    Posts
    21,064
    Quote Originally Posted by lgnsh_070362 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There's some really good young European tour players in their twenties establishing themselves and impressing with their scorecards and temperaments. Fitzpatrick, Pepperell, Jordan Smith, Paul Dunne etc etc. Tyrell Hatton just 25 won the Dunhill at a canter last week and had a cracking round today to put him in the mix. Some really good young English golfers in particular are making a name for themselves. Would be good to see some Scottish youngsters coming through too, maybe there is but I've just not noticed them.

    GGTTH
    A couple of years ago Hatton was in the same mental mound as Rahm. He seems to have learned to deal with it a whole lot better. Even after an indifferent spell in the middle of the season heís come roaring back. If Rahm can do the same he will be some player. Heís no5 in the world already and that can only go one way.

  7. #6
    First Team Breakthrough lgnsh70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    498
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A couple of years ago Hatton was in the same mental mound as Rahm. He seems to have learned to deal with it a whole lot better. Even after an indifferent spell in the middle of the season heís come roaring back. If Rahm can do the same he will be some player. Heís no5 in the world already and that can only go one way.
    Totally agree.

    Rahm was solid when performing against the PGA big boys like DJ, Thomas and Spieth recently and I felt he could have done even better and went on to have won a fedex cup tournament. He's only 22, won a PGA tournament and is as you say 5th in the OWGR. I don't think it will be too many years before he wins a major.

  8. #7
    Coaching Staff Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,663
    Quote Originally Posted by lgnsh_070362 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Totally agree.

    Rahm was solid when performing against the PGA big boys like DJ, Thomas and Spieth recently and I felt he could have done even better and went on to have won a fedex cup tournament. He's only 22, won a PGA tournament and is as you say 5th in the OWGR. I don't think it will be too many years before he wins a major.
    It's up to him, but I do think it go either way.

    He could kick on and be a multiple major winner as easily as he could become a talented nearly-man who fades into obscurity long before his time because he didn't deal with certain weaknesses.

    Good box office though, and another good character to have around golf at the moment.

    I'm loving the golf right now. So many good players, so many potential winners of tournaments.

  9. #8
    First Team Breakthrough lgnsh70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    498
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's up to him, but I do think it go either way.

    He could kick on and be a multiple major winner as easily as he could become a talented nearly-man who fades into obscurity long before his time because he didn't deal with certain weaknesses.

    Good box office though, and another good character to have around golf at the moment.

    I'm loving the golf right now. So many good players, so many potential winners of tournaments.
    Me too.

    Its been rip roaring of late and I've really enjoyed seeing the up and coming younger next generation players coming through.

    Makes me feel old when my younger day heroes were Greg Norman, Jack Nicholas, Nick Faldo, Sandy Lyle etc. However its great seeing the younger guns making a name for themselves, hungry for success.

  10. #9
    @hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Narnia
    Posts
    21,064
    Some afternoon of golf from Monza. Hatton again. He really seems to have a lid on it although he seems quick to blame a lot if things rather than himself if things take a wobble. Having said that he acknowledged he was battling with himself in the interview after it. Maybe the blame game helps him on course.

  11. #10
    First Team Breakthrough lgnsh70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    498
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Some afternoon of golf from Monza. Hatton again. He really seems to have a lid on it although he seems quick to blame a lot if things rather than himself if things take a wobble. Having said that he acknowledged he was battling with himself in the interview after it. Maybe the blame game helps him on course.
    Thought towards the end it would go to Aphibarnrat who has been playing so consistently well and is just missing out by a whisker. When I saw Hatton sneaking up the board yesterday I suspected he might win it however he never really hit a ball until finding his game on the back nine today. Pepperell blew his chances yesterday with a +2 back nine and Coetzee had a quiet final round and never looked like challenging at any point today. Ross Fisher has found his game again and came close with a great final round. A cracking tournament that went to the wire. Jon Rahm too had a good final day but really seemed to coast throughout the tournament as some of the top golfers do when playing in the less illustrious tour challenges.

    Pat Perez won the CIMB PGA quite comfortably. Paul Casey one of the few top names playing had a disastrous first day when carding +5 and it was too late to challenge when finding form in the three other rounds. The first round disaster was too much to overcome.

    Roll on next week.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved