hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 150 of 291

Thread: Strachan away..

  1. #121
    Testimonial Due OsloHibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Buskerud
    Posts
    1,117
    What I'm suprised at is that it's Strachans decision.. What?!!!! Surely it's the folks at the SFA to decide if he stays or goes.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #122
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Cattolica Italy
    Age
    60
    Posts
    1,068
    2 shots 2 failures so needs to do the right thing and stand down and give soomeone else a go..

  4. #123
    @hibs.net private member AndyM_1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    The People's Republic of Fife
    Posts
    2,466
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good post,

    He should have at least brought on McGinn or McGregor thatís for sure. Both in form and would at least offered something going forward. All ifs and buts now though. Total clean out needed now including Strachan who thankfully think will go.
    I think he'll walk. He always sounds utterly exhausted at the end of every game to be fair.
    But it will be his decision, whether the fans like it or not. The SFA won't sack him. They are more likely to offer him a new deal to be honest but with the international calendar about to get busier with the European Nations Tournament which will replace the Friendly match schedule as well as qualifying for the regular tournaments on top of that, whether GS has the energy for that, only he knows.

  5. #124
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Cattolica Italy
    Age
    60
    Posts
    1,068
    scary to think who they might replace him with but even more scary if he were to stay. SFA to select when I would prefer an outside body to handle the selection process then hand the best 3 candidates to the SFA for the final say.

  6. #125
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    296
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: WalterSobzcek
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I get what you are saying but this is the worst excuse to keep him on. To think there is not one manager in world football that would do better is madness.

    McCinnes would be perfect but sadly wonít leave dons., Iíd look abroad as well to see if there is anyone who may fit it. Itís like my boss at work saying youíve failed to reach your target again but we canít sack you because I donít think anyone else is out there!
    I'll rephrase then - what are our options

  7. #126
    @hibs.net private member Thecat23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Age
    39
    Posts
    15,919
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'll rephrase then - what are our options
    Iíd love to see Derek Mcinnes he would be my choice, as I think heíd be great! I see Malky Mackay is also early fav. No idea how I feel about that!

    Why donít the SFA scout the world see whoís out there? Thankfully itís not my job but if people think no one in world football is better than Gordon Strachan then we may as well give up.

  8. #127
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'll rephrase then - what are our options
    Carlo Ancelloti.

  9. #128
    Coaching Staff heretoday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Corstorphine
    Posts
    9,107
    I like Strachan. He's a kenspeckle figure. It's not his fault he's given a crock to play with. I think he's done pretty well considering.

    We all know that we should have youth football facilities like Germany and Iceland etc. And the same attitude.

    It's not going to happen though, is it?

  10. #129
    @hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    6,710
    No chance he'll get sacked. We're unbeaten this year, if he was going to get sacked it would've been after a 1-1 draw and two 3-0 defeats.

  11. #130
    Coaching Staff Iain G's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    London
    Age
    40
    Posts
    9,105
    It's Thursday, has he gone yet?

  12. #131
    Looking at some of the names on websites that show Next Scotland Manager Odds, it gives me the fear. Some of the names would just be another uninspiring appointment like Moyes, Davies, McLeish and i think we wouldn't be able to convince one of the better european names to come in.

  13. #132
    Quote Originally Posted by OsloHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What I'm suprised at is that it's Strachans decision.. What?!!!! Surely it's the folks at the SFA to decide if he stays or goes.
    It doesn't sound from this that he has any say in the matter. As you say, nor should he. Reporter here seems to think he's a goner, but the SFA is such a limp organisation you never know:

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41593525

  14. #133
    Testimonial Due Victor Park's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Historic Town of Dalkeith
    Posts
    2,356
    Quote Originally Posted by OsloHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What I'm suprised at is that it's Strachans decision.. What?!!!! Surely it's the folks at the SFA to decide if he stays or goes.
    Well, not really - of course SFA can decide they don't want to renew his contract, but if they do want him to continue they can't force him to stay if he doesn't want to!

  15. #134
    Coaching Staff Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    39
    Posts
    5,398
    I can't remember ever wanting a team I support to hold onto a manager I so frequently disagree with as I do with Strachan.

    It's strange.

    In spite of the loyalty to the likes of Forrest, the obsession with lower league English players, the poor game management at times and the arsey interviews, I've been quite impressed with the way we've played this year.

    We never look beaten, we plug away to the end and the players really look like they want to be there playing for him (not always the case with OF players and primadonnas from down South).

    I really hope he stays.

  16. #135
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can't remember ever wanting a team I support to hold onto a manager I so frequently disagree with as I do with Strachan.

    It's strange.

    In spite of the loyalty to the likes of Forrest, the obsession with lower league English players, the poor game management at times and the arsey interviews, I've been quite impressed with the way we've played this year.

    We never look beaten, we plug away to the end and the players really look like they want to be there playing for him (not always the case with OF players and primadonnas from down South).

    I really hope he stays.
    Bang on the money for me and sums up my views

  17. #136
    @hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Age
    44
    Posts
    7,953
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can't remember ever wanting a team I support to hold onto a manager I so frequently disagree with as I do with Strachan.

    It's strange.

    In spite of the loyalty to the likes of Forrest, the obsession with lower league English players, the poor game management at times and the arsey interviews, I've been quite impressed with the way we've played this year.

    We never look beaten, we plug away to the end and the players really look like they want to be there playing for him (not always the case with OF players and primadonnas from down South).

    I really hope he stays.
    Pretty much how I feel. I was screaming at him to get McGinn on the park when he sent him out to warm up on Sunday. Unforgivable indecision when we were 1-1. Despite that and his stubborn selections at the start of th campaign, he's defiantly taking us in the right direction. How can you bin the manager after the results and performaces of the last year? The players clearly back him, most of the fans who actually go to the games back him and nobody on the bookie's current list to replace him even remotely interests me. If he wants new a contact, give it to him.

  18. #137
    Testimonial Due Cocaine&Caviar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Canongate.
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,757
    Would like to see a clear out of the over 30s should a new manager come in except those vital to efforts (Gordon & Brown)

    GK: Gordon, Archer

    RB: Paterson, Anya
    CB: Caulker?, Hanley
    CB: Cooper, Hanlon
    LB: Tierney, Shinnie

    RM: Burke, Ritchie, Forrest
    CM: Bannan, McGregor
    CM: Brown, McGinn, Cairney
    LM: Robertson, Fraser

    AM: Armstrong, Gauld

    ST: Griffiths, Rhodes, Cummings

  19. #138
    Quote Originally Posted by Souter96Mac View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looking at some of the names on websites that show Next Scotland Manager Odds, it gives me the fear. Some of the names would just be another uninspiring appointment like Moyes, Davies, McLeish and i think we wouldn't be able to convince one of the better european names to come in.
    David Moyes done a fatastic job with Everton. Utd job too big for him and Sunderland are a basket case. We could do much worse.

  20. #139
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can't remember ever wanting a team I support to hold onto a manager I so frequently disagree with as I do with Strachan.

    It's strange.

    In spite of the loyalty to the likes of Forrest, the obsession with lower league English players, the poor game management at times and the arsey interviews, I've been quite impressed with the way we've played this year.

    We never look beaten, we plug away to the end and the players really look like they want to be there playing for him (not always the case with OF players and primadonnas from down South).

    I really hope he stays.
    Fair point, just checked, only 2 defeats in the last 11. Also just seen that Strachan has only lost 3 times at Hampden to Wales, Belgium and Germany most recently. Decent stat but probably highlights how poor away from home we've been: 5 wins in the last 13 away ties in international competitions.

  21. #140
    Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    David Moyes done a fatastic job with Everton. Utd job too big for him and Sunderland are a basket case. We could do much worse.
    No, please....

  22. #141

  23. #142
    gone now

  24. #143
    Testimonial Due Hibee87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Leith
    Posts
    1,977
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: hibee-87
    Strach and Mcgoo are away.

  25. #144
    Coaching Staff Betty Boop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Sunny Leith
    Posts
    8,200
    He's gone.

  26. #145
    @hibs.net private member Sergio sledge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Inverness
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,849
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I drifted away from watching Scotland at that time so I was probably spared the worst of it to some extent, but I think you have to equate success as Scotland boss with qualifying for major tournaments. Their win rate isn't really relevant if they still fail to qualify. By that token there's no way you could argue Strachan has done better than, say, Brown or Roxburgh.

    When I was a lot younger, the frustration was that Scotland never managed to get beyond the group stage at major tournaments. Perhaps we've now come to such a sorry pass that we're starting to equate success with which manager achieved the 'least poor' qualifying campaign!
    It is an interesting quirk that statistically our 4 best managers (in terms of win percentage and ignoring caretaker managers and Matt Busby) never qualified for a major tournament. The baseline measurement for management success in Scotland should be qualification, so in that respect Brown and Roxburgh are our most successful managers. Roxburgh qualified for 2 out of the three tournaments he attempted to qualify for in his time and yet he has a worse win percentage than Craig Levein.

  27. #146
    Ooft never seen that coming. Cheers and good luck Strachan.

  28. #147
    @hibs.net private member Thecat23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Age
    39
    Posts
    15,919
    Yaaaassss,

    Now to get shot of the dead wood! Finally some good news regarding Scotland!

  29. #148
    @hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Southside
    Posts
    2,071
    Thank Christ. Someone with ideas which include not just playing the old guys please?

  30. #149
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yaaaassss,

    Now to get shot of the dead wood! Finally some good news regarding Scotland!
    Time will tell I guess

  31. #150
    First Team Regular Gordy M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Stirling
    Posts
    768
    Get Stubbs in.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved