hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Strachan away..

Gordon Strachan

If we fail tomorrow should he stay or go ?

There's no doubt that the Scotland job is a tough gig, as the years go by you could liken it to our previous Scottish cup hoodoo.
    I've slated his management in the past, could we do any better under another manager?
    Imo we're held back by the dinosaurs at the SFA , but that's another argument.

2. Log in to remove the advert

He should go if we don't at least get a crack at the play offs from the position that we're in now.

I felt that he should have gone at the end of the last campaign and although he has salvaged his Scotland career somewhat during the latter part of this campaign, it has to be said that it will be a very disappointing end to this one if we can't manage to get the win that we need tomorrow and I feel that his time will be over.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If we fail tomorrow should he stay or go ?

There's no doubt that the Scotland job is a tough gig, as the years go by you could liken it to our previous Scottish cup hoodoo.
    I've slated his management in the past, could we do any better under another manager?
    Imo we're held back by the dinosaurs at the SFA , but that's another argument.
    There's no question he's won me round.

I don't always agree with all of his selections but this has been a good campaign.

I think he'll leave though.

@hibs.net private member whiskyhibby's Avatar
    He should leave as soon as Russia is either no longer possible, or if we get there then when that campaign is finished, he has not convinced at all, not what's needed to take Scotland forward

I suppose he probably should, and possibly would, walk if we don't qualify as traditionally two unsuccessful campaigns are the limit. However, he has arguably done enough to justify another crack (assuming tomorrow night isn't a complete disaster), as the players are now performing under his leadership, there seems to be genuine camaraderie in the squad, and there are some good youngsters coming through. I do love the wee man's passion.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Some people are desperate to see him fail. i think he should stay whatever happens, but if we dont win tomorrow the knives will be out.

He gets major critiscism for euro 2016 campaign however he was snookered by the Germans gifting four points to the oirish. If Germany hadnt been so uncharaterstically useless twice, we would have had a playoff.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    He should stay. Continuity is a big thing in football. Can anyone really say that we could do any better under another manager.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Park View Post
    Some people are desperate to see him fail. i think he should stay whatever happens, but if we dont win tomorrow the knives will be out.

He gets major critiscism for euro 2016 campaign however he was snookered by the Germans gifting four points to the oirish. If Germany hadnt been so uncharaterstically useless twice, we would have had a playoff.
    Can’t blame the Germans for our own failings though. I think we will win tomorrow and he’ll stay on. Lose he must go simple as that. To many baffling team selections for me but I’ll be 100% behind him and Scotland tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    He should stay. Continuity is a big thing in football. Can anyone really say that we could do any better under another manager.
    I agree. We were desperately unlucky not to make the Euros - three of the last 8 were in our group ffs.

If he gets a playoff place for Russia that would be all I'd have expected he could have achieved.

If we get there he should definitely stay IMHO.

I'm always torn on this subject. Results when he first came in were great. We played some excellent football in that first campaign and went out to a combination of things. Germany gifting Ireland points as posted above. Us dropping 4 points late on against Poland and that match in Georgia.

This campaign started shockingly but he has turned it round. People want Strachan to fail it's clear to see.

But on the other hand, he's stubborn, too loyal at times and can be a right condescending prick in interviews.

If we take a hiding tomorrow, we'll finish 4th for the 2nd straight campaign he's led. Ultimately, that's under achieving and failure so he would have to go imo.

I must say though, I've enjoyed his time in charge more than most over the last 10 years

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Stay, win or lose. We are getting better considering the lack of real talent we have. If he goes, who'd get it that was better?

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Stay, win or lose. We are getting better considering the lack of real talent we have. If he goes, who'd get it that was better?
    IF he goes I'd go for someone like Jürgen Klinsmann

Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post
    Why not, although i have my doubts he'd want us or what we pay?

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Why not, although i have my doubts he'd want us or what we pay?
    Very true. Mark McGhee it is then

Very true. Mark McGhee it is then

Happy for him to stay. I can't think of anyone else that I'd rather have at the moment. At least he tries to get us playing football.

Go.

He's murder.

@hibs.net private member SouthMoroccoStu's Avatar
    Future hibs boss if Lennon goes to pastures new

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMoroccoStu View Post
    Future hibs boss if Lennon goes to pastures new
    Think he’ll retire to be honest. Don’t think he’d be the man anyway LD would go for. But could be wrong, just feel he’d be happy with what he’s done at Celtic and now Scotland if he did go.

Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
    Why?
    Why not? He is a big name and has managed better teams than us. He also has a big of charisma which would help to raise some excitement - let's face it, we aren't very good on the public relations front are we?

He's Hibs manager-in-waiting. Take Scotland to Russia, then over to ER after Lennon goes back to Celtic.

Left by mutual consent!
    It would surely be unthinkable that he'd stay on. Two failed campaigns (as well as a part of Levein's shambolic World Cup 2014 campaign) is as much as any boss should be permitted. A good Hibs fan he may be, but Strachan is hugely overrated as a manager (and an extremely irritating, unfunny interviewee to boot) and his perceived 'success' as Scotland boss is shaped only by our dismal failure to qualify for any tournament for 20 years. The fact we're not even certain to finish second in a truly woeful group topped by a dire England side is hardly something to be heap praise on him for.

Left by mutual consent!
    He seems to have learned or learning from mistakes he was making early in the campaign, however if we fail to make the play offs he has to go.

My only fear is the calibre of replacements we could attract given the SFA and their budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    Can’t blame the Germans for our own failings though. I think we will win tomorrow and he’ll stay on. Lose he must go simple as that. To many baffling team selections for me but I’ll be 100% behind him and Scotland tomorrow.
    There was one game where we failed in that campaign - Georgia away. We ran the world champs close twice, 2 draws against a good Poland side that we were unlucky not to win and took 4 points off Ireland.

Georgia away was awful , just feel we were so close and in normal circumstances (ie germany beating everyone) we could have got away with that slip up.

Hes def made mistakes, mainly not playing Griffiths soon enough but i cant think of too many baffling team selections other than that tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Agreed.

Don’t get me wrong, we’re no world beaters and failure to qualify is completely unacceptable. But Scotland has had 6 (six!!!) new managers since France 1998 and none of them have achieved qualification, which should be the minimum target.

So there’s overwhelming evidence to prove that changing manager doesn’t improve anything.

Perhaps a little more continuity might be something to go with.

Left by mutual consent!
    Go if fail. His attitude at the start of the campaign with the games not being must wins ****ed it up for us as a whole. We are a country that to qualify every match must be considered a must win knock out match, that way we don't arse about against Lithuania. Brendan Rodgers has also effectively saved his career this far. We win tonight I think he will quit on a high regardless of the playoff.

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    It would surely be unthinkable that he'd stay on. Two failed campaigns (as well as a part of Levein's shambolic World Cup 2014 campaign) is as much as any boss should be permitted. A good Hibs fan he may be, but Strachan is hugely overrated as a manager (and an extremely irritating, unfunny interviewee to boot) and his perceived 'success' as Scotland boss is shaped only by our dismal failure to qualify for any tournament for 20 years. The fact we're not even certain to finish second in a truly woeful group topped by a dire England side is hardly something to be heap praise on him for.
    Cmon shouldnt be beating him with a stick over Levein's 2014 disaster. Strachan came in and we beat Croatia home and away!

Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    Go if fail. His attitude at the start of the campaign with the games not being must wins ****ed it up for us as a whole. We are a country that to qualify every match must be considered a must win knock out match, that way we don't arse about against Lithuania. Brendan Rodgers has also effectively saved his career this far. We win tonight I think he will quit on a high regardless of the playoff.
    His attitude? You think he wasnt bothered about winning? I think he just picked the wrong team against Lithuania and then Slovakia, something he has since publicly admitted.