hibs.net Messageboard

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Strachan away..

Pretty disappointed in this to be honest.

Yes Strachan hasn't been perfect but then who is? Given the resources he has I think he was doing okay and beginning to build a good team.

However our problem is that we don't have decent centrebacks, apart from Griffiths we don't have good forwards and we don't have the midfielders that consistently do the game changing work.

Changing manager isn't going to solve year's of under investment in proper training and development.

2. Log in to remove the advert

See below!!

Who was the dutch guy that did well with South Korea? Think he managed Chelski a couple of times as caretaker.

Doesn't matter who they appoint.

Bigger structural issues in the game.

They could hire Pep or Jose but still wouldn't qualify.

Scotland won't qualify for a major tournament until changes are made.

Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who was the dutch guy that did well with South Korea? Think he managed Chelski a couple of times as caretaker.
    Guus Hiddink

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post

Yes Strachan hasn't been perfect but then who is? Given the resources he has I think he was doing okay and beginning to build a good team.

However our problem is that we don't have decent centrebacks, apart from Griffiths we don't have good forwards and we don't have the midfielders that consistently do the game changing work.

Changing manager isn't going to solve year's of under investment in proper training and development.
    sorry but he hasnt been doing ok, with the players available we should have finished second, yes the players need to take some of the blame but his team selections and then tactics were just awful

Guus Hiddink
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

Guus Hiddink.

Quote Originally Posted by City of Green View Post

Controversial comments alert!!!

Why is it that despite boys football clubs typically going for a good big yin over a good wee yin do we rarely find big yins who develop as top class players - eg our centrebacks are poor, we never produce good tall centre forwards and we never find good tall midfielders.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I've heard Sam Allardyde mentioned a few times in the last couple of days.

Personally think there is no chance but his Parents were Scottish and the suggestion seemed to be he wanted some involvement back in football. I can't see him being at all welcome but, based purely on football, we could do worse.
    He'd be a terrific appointment in my opinion.

We should do all we can to try and get him in, ticks every box, apart from being English (or not Scottish) and that would soon be forgotten after a few good results

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    We’ve got a bit of time to get appt right, so no excuses this time

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    The dead wood should be removed from the top down. Start with Regan and keep going till we get a structure and people in place that aren't only really interested in two teams. And I don't mean Scotland and the U21s!!
    Never happen - for the simple reason the entire country (with the 2 obvious exceptions) would be delighted and the GFA wouldn't want that.

Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post

I'm very disappointed. Gordon made us at least a team to be reckoned with. Let's face it. We are the same level as the likes of Slovenia/Slovakia so just get on with it. He could have made us better.

Best bets are probably Lambert, Moyes and Mackay.
    Would prefer they went for Sam Allardice but expect one of the above list.

Folk on JKB were asking for Ryan Giggs, Roy Keane etc - Bizarre.
    Similarly Souness on here. He is a fourth rate manager and importantly a tenth rate man manager.
    Think people believe their management abilities mirror their abilities as players. Not so.

The great thing about Strachan was his man management.
    Under previous managers top players refused to play, retired prematurely from international football, got in the crapola through alcohol, decided to play for the Republic of Ireland instead of the the country of their birth. None of that happened under Strachan. This all appears to have been overlooked by many calling for him to go.
    I didn't always agree with his selections but make no mistake whoever is chosen will quickly get called useless and most supporters will disagree with his player selections.
    Too old, English Championship, Old Firm centric, not playing the players on form etc etc.

Saying that the new guy has a chance. He has the free kick talisman that is the thumb and two top players in Robertson and Tierney.
    Just need a few more to add the necessary 10% extra quality required to push us over the next qualification line.
    I believe we will qualify for the 2020 Euro's if we make the right appointment, that is a manager with a proven high level management record who is a great man manager and who can put together a team that plays better than the sum of it's limited parts. Would go for Allardice in a shot.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 12-10-2017 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sioux View Post
    Aye, Gordon's vital to our efforts right enough. Responsible for the loss of the first goal on Sunday and for England's equaliser at Hampden. If it wasn't for him we wouldn't be oot. All IMHO of course.
    & who would you have had in his place?

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    disappointed :( i hope whoever is the new coach plays in-form players, and not afraid to play young guys, they can't gain experience if they can't get a game

p.s. and doesn't play sellicks forrest, a hugely overrated player(IMO)

p.p.s. and get shot of all businessmen that are in the SFA
    Last edited by cabbageandribs1875; 12-10-2017 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan69 View Post
    Ive always wanted Souness as manager.

Wouldnt take crap,not a yes man.....and you certainly wouldnt wanna face him at half time if your getting pumped!

Make it happen Scotland!
    There was a time when I would have liked Souness but I think football has moved on and left him (and as was mentioned above, Butcher and the likes too) behind.

I don't think you motivate modern footballers by ranting, raving and either threatening violence or actually inflicting it.

You need to tread that fine line of being the players' best friend whilst also having them being terrified of you as you are the one that can take away the thing that they want more than anything - their place in the team, their position as a professional footballer (in this case an Internationalist) and all that goes with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    We’ve got a bit of time to get appt right, so no excuses this time
    Exactly, scout the world not ex old firm managers. Still be good if we had a proper clear out in the SFA but sadly won’t happen. But getting rid of Strachan was clearly the right move so they got that right I suppose.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by City of Green View Post

Couldn't agree more

Not surprised by this news and I think it's for the best. There are a whole lot of other problems to deal with though before Scottish football is going to be able to move forward.

We're still light years away from other countries of a similar size (and sometimes even smaller) to ourselves and getting rid of Strachan isn't going to resolve these issues.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    One body running the game would be a start. Make the aim football performance and not TV gererated money and two clubs in paricular driving things.
    Start with larger leagues to facilitate youth progression instead of the wall they seem to hit at 18/19. Reserve league so instead of playing against your peers past the age of 18/19 you are tested against older pros.
    Improves facilities or actually using the exsisting ones. Opening up the school astro turfs to all and free would be a start. Get kids playing againbecause these days they cant for a number of reasons kick the ball about the streets.
    If these types of things are not addressed it wont matter who is in charge of the national squad.

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    One body running the game would be a start. Make the aim football performance and not TV gererated money and two clubs in paricular driving things.
    Start with larger leagues to facilitate youth progression instead of the wall they seem to hit at 18/19. Reserve league so instead of playing against your peers past the age of 18/19 you are tested against older pros.
    Improves facilities or actually using the exsisting ones. Opening up the school astro turfs to all and free would be a start. Get kids playing againbecause these days they cant for a number of reasons kick the ball about the streets.
    If these types of things are not addressed it wont matter who is in charge of the national squad.
    Hard to argue with any of this. 👍🏼

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    I'm very disappointed. Gordon made us at least a team to be reckoned with. Let's face it. We are the same level as the likes of Slovenia/Slovakia so just get on with it. He could have made us better.
    Reckoned with by who? As Tom English correctly points out here, he simply wasn't good enough when you see what the Irish sides achieve:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41600788

How sweeping are the changes that we REALLY need to make though?

We missed out on a play-off on goal difference. Craig Gordon comes off his line v England to make an easy catch and we're in a playoff. We're a year unbeaten having played trickyish games against England, Slovakia and Slovenia (twice).

Yes, Iceland are doing well. But how far is our footballing infrastructure behind that of Wales, Northern Ireland or the Republic of Ireland? (Whilst acknowledging we have issues that need to be addressed and areas we can improve).

For all I like Strachan, he can be a prickly wee git. You could imagine him being asked a perfectly reasonable question about what he has learnt, what he thought he got wrong, and what he plans to do about it and being an obnoxious fud about it giving them little choice but to give him his jotters.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    No we're not at the same level. Slovakia were ranked within the world top 20, we were 43rd. Quite a gulf I would say.

Strachan didn't help himself with his boorish media persona. The accusations of inflexibility over player selection also contributed to his demise and questions were rightly raised about his reluctance to integrate emerging talent into the side. In saying that I remember Craig Brown got it tight about the same things. Difference being that he had the side qualifying for major tournaments.

Strachan's reign promised more than it delivered. Ultimately, he failed at two major tournaments. Some good results and some very poor ones. There was a lack of consistency and that cost us dearly.

In terms of future appointments. I think we do need to broaden the scope of choices and try and find a mature manager who is at the stage of their career who is content with the sporadic nature of fixtures and who has a track record of getting the most out of their players. Happy for a non Scot to be given the role.

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    Reckoned with by who? As Tom English correctly points out here, he simply wasn't good enough when you see what the Irish sides achieve:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41600788
    Good article. I agree with much of it. Strachan had had his time. I think he did HIS best but that didn't get the best results achievable for Scotland.

@hibs.net private member
    Will be interesting to see who the SFA go for next. In terms of continuity and giving younger players a chance, I wonder about Scot Gemmill. Coached Scotland at u17, u19 and currently u21 so has come through with the players. Has had decent results at all these levels and so could be ideal to bring the next generation through...?

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: GlasMatt PSN ID: mrxblaikiex
    I've got a really bad feeling it's going to be McCoist!

Wonder if Stubbs would be interested? With Rod on SFA board, Stubbs’ name may well be discussed.

Good with the media, excellent man manager - I think he’d be a good appointment.

His last result at Hampden was pretty decent! 😂