hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Strachan away..

What I'm suprised at is that it's Strachans decision.. What?!!!! Surely it's the folks at the SFA to decide if he stays or goes.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due
    2 shots 2 failures so needs to do the right thing and stand down and give soomeone else a go..

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good post,

He should have at least brought on McGinn or McGregor that’s for sure. Both in form and would at least offered something going forward. All ifs and buts now though. Total clean out needed now including Strachan who thankfully think will go.
    I think he'll walk. He always sounds utterly exhausted at the end of every game to be fair.
    But it will be his decision, whether the fans like it or not. The SFA won't sack him. They are more likely to offer him a new deal to be honest but with the international calendar about to get busier with the European Nations Tournament which will replace the Friendly match schedule as well as qualifying for the regular tournaments on top of that, whether GS has the energy for that, only he knows.

Testimonial Due
    scary to think who they might replace him with but even more scary if he were to stay. SFA to select when I would prefer an outside body to handle the selection process then hand the best 3 candidates to the SFA for the final say.

First Team Breakthrough
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WalterSobzcek
    I get what you are saying but this is the worst excuse to keep him on. To think there is not one manager in world football that would do better is madness.

McCinnes would be perfect but sadly won’t leave dons., I’d look abroad as well to see if there is anyone who may fit it. It’s like my boss at work saying you’ve failed to reach your target again but we can’t sack you because I don’t think anyone else is out there!
    I'll rephrase then - what are our options

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    I’d love to see Derek Mcinnes he would be my choice, as I think he’d be great! I see Malky Mackay is also early fav. No idea how I feel about that!

Why don’t the SFA scout the world see who’s out there? Thankfully it’s not my job but if people think no one in world football is better than Gordon Strachan then we may as well give up.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Carlo Ancelloti.

I like Strachan. He's a kenspeckle figure. It's not his fault he's given a crock to play with. I think he's done pretty well considering.

We all know that we should have youth football facilities like Germany and Iceland etc. And the same attitude.

It's not going to happen though, is it?

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    No chance he'll get sacked. We're unbeaten this year, if he was going to get sacked it would've been after a 1-1 draw and two 3-0 defeats.

It's Thursday, has he gone yet?

Looking at some of the names on websites that show Next Scotland Manager Odds, it gives me the fear. Some of the names would just be another uninspiring appointment like Moyes, Davies, McLeish and i think we wouldn't be able to convince one of the better european names to come in.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by OsloHibs View Post
    What I'm suprised at is that it's Strachans decision.. What?!!!! Surely it's the folks at the SFA to decide if he stays or goes.
    It doesn't sound from this that he has any say in the matter. As you say, nor should he. Reporter here seems to think he's a goner, but the SFA is such a limp organisation you never know:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41593525

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OsloHibs View Post
    Well, not really - of course SFA can decide they don't want to renew his contract, but if they do want him to continue they can't force him to stay if he doesn't want to!

I can't remember ever wanting a team I support to hold onto a manager I so frequently disagree with as I do with Strachan.

It's strange.

In spite of the loyalty to the likes of Forrest, the obsession with lower league English players, the poor game management at times and the arsey interviews, I've been quite impressed with the way we've played this year.

We never look beaten, we plug away to the end and the players really look like they want to be there playing for him (not always the case with OF players and primadonnas from down South).

I really hope he stays.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I can't remember ever wanting a team I support to hold onto a manager I so frequently disagree with as I do with Strachan.

It's strange.

In spite of the loyalty to the likes of Forrest, the obsession with lower league English players, the poor game management at times and the arsey interviews, I've been quite impressed with the way we've played this year.

We never look beaten, we plug away to the end and the players really look like they want to be there playing for him (not always the case with OF players and primadonnas from down South).

I really hope he stays.
    Bang on the money for me and sums up my views

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar

It's strange.

I really hope he stays.
    Pretty much how I feel. I was screaming at him to get McGinn on the park when he sent him out to warm up on Sunday. Unforgivable indecision when we were 1-1. Despite that and his stubborn selections at the start of th campaign, he's defiantly taking us in the right direction. How can you bin the manager after the results and performaces of the last year? The players clearly back him, most of the fans who actually go to the games back him and nobody on the bookie's current list to replace him even remotely interests me. If he wants new a contact, give it to him.

Would like to see a clear out of the over 30s should a new manager come in except those vital to efforts (Gordon & Brown)

GK: Gordon, Archer

RB: Paterson, Anya
    CB: Caulker?, Hanley
    CB: Cooper, Hanlon
    LB: Tierney, Shinnie

RM: Burke, Ritchie, Forrest
    CM: Bannan, McGregor
    CM: Brown, McGinn, Cairney
    LM: Robertson, Fraser

AM: Armstrong, Gauld

ST: Griffiths, Rhodes, Cummings

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Souter96Mac View Post
    Looking at some of the names on websites that show Next Scotland Manager Odds, it gives me the fear. Some of the names would just be another uninspiring appointment like Moyes, Davies, McLeish and i think we wouldn't be able to convince one of the better european names to come in.
    David Moyes done a fatastic job with Everton. Utd job too big for him and Sunderland are a basket case. We could do much worse.

It's strange.

I really hope he stays.
    Fair point, just checked, only 2 defeats in the last 11. Also just seen that Strachan has only lost 3 times at Hampden to Wales, Belgium and Germany most recently. Decent stat but probably highlights how poor away from home we've been: 5 wins in the last 13 away ties in international competitions.

Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    David Moyes done a fatastic job with Everton. Utd job too big for him and Sunderland are a basket case. We could do much worse.
    No, please....

Gone

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    gone now

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    Strach and Mcgoo are away.

He's gone.

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    I drifted away from watching Scotland at that time so I was probably spared the worst of it to some extent, but I think you have to equate success as Scotland boss with qualifying for major tournaments. Their win rate isn't really relevant if they still fail to qualify. By that token there's no way you could argue Strachan has done better than, say, Brown or Roxburgh.

When I was a lot younger, the frustration was that Scotland never managed to get beyond the group stage at major tournaments. Perhaps we've now come to such a sorry pass that we're starting to equate success with which manager achieved the 'least poor' qualifying campaign!
    It is an interesting quirk that statistically our 4 best managers (in terms of win percentage and ignoring caretaker managers and Matt Busby) never qualified for a major tournament. The baseline measurement for management success in Scotland should be qualification, so in that respect Brown and Roxburgh are our most successful managers. Roxburgh qualified for 2 out of the three tournaments he attempted to qualify for in his time and yet he has a worse win percentage than Craig Levein.

Left by mutual consent!
    Ooft never seen that coming. Cheers and good luck Strachan.

Yaaaassss,

Now to get shot of the dead wood! Finally some good news regarding Scotland!

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Thank Christ. Someone with ideas which include not just playing the old guys please?

Yaaaassss,

Now to get shot of the dead wood! Finally some good news regarding Scotland!
    Time will tell I guess

Get Stubbs in.