hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Strachan away..

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Park View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    His attitude? You think he wasnt bothered about winning? I think he just picked the wrong team against Lithuania and then Slovakia, something he has since publicly admitted.
    He refused to change the players against they team, he constantly said the matches weren't must wins and it shown on the pitch with the lethargic attitude on they evenings. It's only since every match has become a "must win" and he changed his side to the correct one we have improved brilliantly, mainly down to the form of the Celtic players and getting rid of the old guard. Players in form has never happened with him it's always been the tried and tested and he refused to play Griffiths until no choice against England. That attitude has cost us dear.

His Scotland career kind of replicates his Middlesbrough one where he took all they tried and tested players with him and got sacked within a year or so.
    Last edited by Firestarter; 08-10-2017 at 07:53 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

His attitude? You think he wasnt bothered about winning? I think he just picked the wrong team against Lithuania and then Slovakia, something he has since publicly admitted.
    Hense my baffling team selection comment! He’s done it more than once. Not playing Leigh was madness it really was. I’m just delighted he plays him now and hope to god it’s not to late.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    He refused to change the players against they team, he constantly said the matches weren't must wins and it shown on the pitch with the lethargic attitude on they evenings. It's only since every match has become a "must win" and he changed his side to the correct one we have improved brilliantly, mainly down to the form of the Celtic players and getting rid of the old guard.
    He didnt constantly say that. He was asked before the Lithuania game and he said no. And he was right it wasnt a must win as the way group has panned out proves that. Its such a stupid question.

If he said yes to the question then we still drew against Lithuania he would be basically saying that our qualification hopes were over after 2 games.

Brendan Rogers not playing Leigh Griffiths at the start of last season is part of the reason that LG wasnt starting for Scotland. Maybe its his fault also for the poor start to the group?
    Last edited by LaMotta; 08-10-2017 at 08:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    Hense my baffling team selection comment! He’s done it more than once. Not playing Leigh was madness it really was. I’m just delighted he plays him now and hope to god it’s not to late.
    Yeh fair enough and ive always thought LG should play every game. He wasnt playing for Celtic at that time which was unfortunate.

Other than LG omission though dont think there is much to argue with.

Left by mutual consent!
    He didnt constantly say that. He was asked before the Lithuania game and he said no. And he was right it wasnt a must win as the way group gas panned out proves that. Its such a stupid question.

If he said yes to the question then we still drew against Lithuania he would be basically saying that our qualification hopes were over after 2 games.

Brendan Rogers not playing Leigh Griffiths at the start of last season is part of the reason that LG wasnt starting for Scotland. Maybe its his fault also for the poor start to the group?
    Lithuania at home IS a must win for a country like ours because overall it comes back to bite us on the arse. Hey mentality should be installed in the players and management in terms of team selection right away. Had we had won that must win game we would be in the playoffs already.

GS didn't pick Leigh when he was playing every week prior to that either. It was lump up Park to Fletcher, remember Georgia? Strachan only picked Leigh after his job was on the line. And that's not even starting on the pish in defence he constantly selected even if they hadn't played for months.
    Last edited by Firestarter; 08-10-2017 at 08:12 AM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Yeh fair enough and ive always thought LG should play every game. He wasnt playing for Celtic at that time which was unfortunate.

Look at the defence for the matches at the start of the campaign, even midfield, players sitting on the bench or worse at club level until
    He started picking in form Celtic players and built the side round them.

Lithuania at home IS a must win for a country like ours because overall it comes back to bite us on the arse. Hey mentality should be installed in the players and management in terms of team selection right away. Had we had won that must win game we would be in the playoffs already.
    Well its not, because we didnt win and we can still qualify!

Of course we should win, and it was a terrible result. Do you really think behind closed doors he wasnt treating it as a game to win though?

But you cant possibly know that if we won we would be in the playoffs....if we won that game the rest of our results could have panned out very differently. Scott Brown might not have been tempted back for example.

Look at the defence for the matches at the start of the campaign, even midfield, players sitting on the bench or worse at club level until
    He started picking in form Celtic players and built the side round them.
    So hes got it right now? Why is that bad?

Who should he have played back then that he didnt?
    Last edited by LaMotta; 08-10-2017 at 08:20 AM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Well its not, because we didnt win and we can still qualify!

Of course we should win, and it was a terrible result. Do you really think behind closed doors he wasnt treating it as a game to win though?

But you cant possibly know that if we won we would be in the playoffs....if we won that game the rest of our results could have panned out very differently. Scott Brown might not have been tempted back for example.
    Brown didn't come back because we couldn't beat Lithuania.
    I'm out, not worth the arguing just now mate on which should be a positive day, see you tomorrow .

Left by mutual consent!
    So hes got it right now? Why is that bad?

Who should he have played back then that he didnt?
    I'll tell you tomorrow! 'N 'mon Scotland!!!

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar

The thing with LG is that I think whenever he's taken a step up it takes him a while to adjust. His first spell with us wasn't that amazing (although he showed lots of promise), took time to settle at wolves and the same at Celtic.

He deserves huge credit for the standard he's now reached and he's rightly scotlands star man but I sort of get why Strachan eased him in slowly.

First Team Breakthrough
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WalterSobzcek
    I think we should keep him. We are starting to see a club side spirit appear, keep the continuity. I don't think there's anyone who would take the job who would be an improvement. I can no doubt easily be proved wrong

Brown didn't come back because we couldn't beat Lithuania.
    I'm out, not worth the arguing just now mate on which should be a positive day, see you tomorrow .
    I'll tell you tomorrow! 'N 'mon Scotland!!!

I think he should step down if we fail to qualify, he's taken them as far as he can, my biggest problem with Strachan is his blind loyalty to certain players when they're clearly not good enough for the team and not playing players who are on form, still don't understand how McGinn and McGregor didn't start on thursday considering they were the standout players in last weeks Hibs/Celtic game.

If we fail in this campaign it stems from his decsions not to pick the best players available to him early in the campaign.

In saying that he has rectified that and probably deserves another go. I think he'll go though.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Left by mutual consent!
    Cmon shouldnt be beating him with a stick over Levein's 2014 disaster. Strachan came in and we beat Croatia home and away!
    I agree, we can't blame him for that campaign, but IIRC his first game was a home defeat by Wales which all but confirmed we had no chance of qualifying after the calamitous start to the campaign made by Levein. The wins against Croatia came when we had nothing to play for.

Compared to Levein he's a genius of international management, but I just think Strachan is over-rated by some. I didn't watch the game yesterday but I saw his post-match interview on the news this morning and that stuff he's coming out with about the players not being tall enough?! Apparently only Spain are smaller...which doesn't seem to stop them doing well. A load of bewildering nonsense, especially the bit about getting 'big Scottish men and women together.'

They guy should be a goner in my view, though personally I'm more relieved we can get back to focusing on the football that matters (ie the Hibs) for another couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    I agree, we can't blame him for that campaign, but IIRC his first game was a home defeat by Wales which all but confirmed we had no chance of qualifying after the calamitous start to the campaign made by Levein. The wins against Croatia came when we had nothing to play for.

Compared to Levein he's a genius of international management, but I just think Strachan is over-rated by some. I didn't watch the game yesterday but I saw his post-match interview on the news this morning and that stuff he's coming out with about the players not being tall enough?! Apparently only Spain are smaller...which doesn't seem to stop them doing well. A load of bewildering nonsense, especially the bit about getting 'big Scottish men and women together.'

They guy should be a goner in my view, though personally I'm more relieved we can get back to focusing on the football that matters (ie the Hibs) for another couple of years.
    The genetics thing is probably the most pathetic and clutching at straws reason ever tabled for failing as a football team.

However this bit did annoy me; "No-one is hurting like the players, it's impossible," he said. "The fans can't hurt like that, I can't hurt"

Testimonial Due Stokesy's on fire's Avatar
    No way should Strachan be sacked if he goes we will find ourselves worse off. He's done a hell of a lot better than others have in the past and i think he can build on that.

He is a complete and utter fanny. Yet again blaming genetics. Its a lack of skill, fitness and desire that holds scotland back.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Strachan didnt select the best striker we have for the first few games. He only selected LG when it was apparent his other options were not working.

Strachan didnt bring on McGregor or McGinn when the likes of Bannan and others were goosed last night. We were crying out for something else in midfield.

And - I feel a bit bad saying this - when Strachan selected Whittaker for the squad during what we all agree was a "difficult period" for him, that cemented the thought that he Strachan and his crew would rather rely on his band of older players than think a wee bit different.

When the man in the street / pub can see these things but our international coach cant (or wont due to bloody mindedness) see it - its time to go.

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    Strachan didnt select the best striker we have for the first few games. He only selected LG when it was apparent his other options were not working.

Strachan didnt bring on McGregor or McGinn when the likes of Bannan and others were goosed last night. We were crying out for something else in midfield.

And - I feel a bit bad saying this - when Strachan selected Whittaker for the squad during what we all agree was a "difficult period" for him, that cemented the thought that he Strachan and his crew would rather rely on his band of older players than think a wee bit different.

When the man in the street / pub can see these things but our international coach cant (or wont due to bloody mindedness) see it - its time to go.
    He need to go, has made too many mistakes and off decision and sticks to rigidly to his favourites who never set the heather alight when playing for Scotland. Need to blood some of the good younger players coming through now and need new ideas to take the team forward and lose the baggage and play to the strengths we have.

With the likes of Tierney, Robertson, McGinn, McGregor now coming through we are starting to assemble the bones of a very good and exciting team. We need to be positive and push it forward and not let the past and these lame excuses hold us back.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    I'm quite irritated he's not already been emptied, but I'm still angry after our pitiful capitulation last night.

Fair play to him, he admitted his early mistakes, made changes and since then, we've gone on a great run and gave ourselves a chance to reach the playoffs.

But it wasn't just the ineptitude of the players choking last night - it was his bamboozling decisions throughout the game and his bizarre press conference afterwards.

He picks what I see as decent squads, but that's it - none of the promising players are utilised in any way, shape or form - he sticks with the usual suspects, and it results in any pace, gumption or threat being sorely lacking.

He's moved Scotland on, but I think he's proven now he's taken us as far as he can. Time to bring in some fresh blood, and a manager who's willing to think outside the box and utilise some of the young talent we have.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stokesy's on fire View Post
    No way should Strachan be sacked if he goes we will find ourselves worse off. He's done a hell of a lot better than others have in the past and i think he can build on that.
    Do you have belief he will give new players a chance or stick to players who done him amazing in his words this term? To be a good International you need to change, he can't seem to do that. Not picking Griffiths was criminal as was his selections yesterday.

Left by mutual consent!
    He won't get sacked. He will need to quit. It's his choice apparently and he's wanted to lead us to euro 2020 and play in Glasgow.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stokesy's on fire View Post
    Has he really done any better than other managers? Levein, granted, was the worst Scotland boss of all time, but even Berti Vogts got us to a play-off (where admittedly we got humiliated by the Dutch) and Burley, dire as his tenure was, wasn't too far away from a play-off place. McLeish and Smith did solid enough jobs but the bottom line is that every single Scotland boss for the last 20 years, Strachan included, has failed. You can't blame two decades of bad luck for that failure. It's failure, pure and simple.

Last night Strachan's side scraped what sounds like an undeserved draw against a side with nothing to play for when a win was essential. Simply not good enough. For me, he should have gone after the previous campaign when he described a meaningless win against Gibraltar in front of a bunch of holidaying Scottish fans as the highlight of his career. His latest guff about the players being genetically inadequate is desperate stuff.

Classic Strachan interview re genetics. it would be offensive coming from anyone else really. He's close to throwing something when he starts talking like that!

I don't see any point in his staying as coach and I doubt he'd want to embark on another long campaign either.

I think we should try and concentrate on the young players that we have playing in the Scottish leagues rather than B-list Anglos. For that we need a coach who is au fait with the game here at all levels and can see the best guys coming through.

Has he really done any better than other managers? Levein, granted, was the worst Scotland boss of all time, but even Berti Vogts got us to a play-off (where admittedly we got humiliated by the Dutch) and Burley, dire as his tenure was, wasn't too far away from a play-off place. McLeish and Smith did solid enough jobs but the bottom line is that every single Scotland boss for the last 20 years, Strachan included, has failed. You can't blame two decades of bad luck for that failure. It's failure, pure and simple.

Last night Strachan's side scraped what sounds like an undeserved draw against a side with nothing to play for when a win was essential. Simply not good enough. For me, he should have gone after the previous campaign when he described a meaningless win against Gibraltar in front of a bunch of holidaying Scottish fans as the highlight of his career. His latest guff about the players being genetically inadequate is desperate stuff.

Well ultimately he has failed however he has the best win rate of any manager (other than McLeish's 10 games in charge) since Tommy Docherty in the early 70s:

http://scotlandfootballstats.co.uk/managers

I think you are forgetting how bad Burley and Levein actually were.

A big problem we have is that the Berti experiment has tainted any option of a non-Scottish coach. I'd be all for bringing in a coach who can motivate and introduce the good younger players who are on positive form for their clubs, regardless of the nationality. Is Stubbs still looking for a job?

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    A big problem we have is that the Berti experiment has tainted any option of a non-Scottish coach. I'd be all for bringing in a coach who can motivate and introduce the good younger players who are on positive form for their clubs, regardless of the nationality. Is Stubbs still looking for a job?

Well he has already shown he can achieve the seemingly impossible!

McGregor could have scored a goal like the Slovenian second,Fletcher proved he couldn’t.