hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Strachan away..

Testimonial Due
    The genetics comment should be enough for him to get his jotters.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by KSA Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If he does go .... anyone think Cathro could be the man?
    For what? typing out his P45? #Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I think he's stumbled across a decent formula, the team has done well of late and he deserves to keep going.

He drives me mad at times and I often disagree with his selections, but tbh on a few occasions he's been proven correct and I've been wide of the mark (selection of Berra, Bannon, perseverance with Chris Martin etc).

The talk of genetics is drivel and he needs to forget that crap fast.

I don't like the obsession amongst failed managers with experience and "tried and tested" as I'm much more of a "if you're good enough you're old enough" type. The second half yesterday was crying out for a bit of energy and our midfield were always going to tire after Thursday. His game management was poor, but tbf to him, it has been excellent of late.

The argument about who else you might get is valid. I don't know who out there is better, and there are plenty of people who would be worse. I honestly do think the players like him and believe in him, and in International football that is half the battle.
    Good post. Sums up my feelings

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    He’s his own worst enemy at times. He’s always been terrible at doing after match interviews, and he suffers from the same syndrome that almost every Scotland manager suffers from, if a player isn’t playing for either Celtic or Rangers, then they’re down the pecking order behind players playing in the second or third tier down south. The only exception to this is if you’ve previously played down south.
    The problem with most of our managers is that in order to get the job, they must have managed in England. AM being a rare exception.
    We need to stop this obsession that the football in England is so much better than it is up here. We need to make Scottish players feel that they have a chance of playing international football while playing for Scottish clubs.
    Strachan has improved the team, but his stubbornness may well be his downfall.

United we stand here....

First Team Breakthrough
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WalterSobzcek
    Who do we get though ? Slim pickings

Kris Boyd thinks he should stay, good enough proof for me he should go 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Who do we get though ? Slim pickings
    I get what you are saying but this is the worst excuse to keep him on. To think there is not one manager in world football that would do better is madness.

McCinnes would be perfect but sadly won’t leave dons., I’d look abroad as well to see if there is anyone who may fit it. It’s like my boss at work saying you’ve failed to reach your target again but we can’t sack you because I don’t think anyone else is out there!

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    I get what you are saying but this is the worst excuse to keep him on. To think there is not one manager in world football that would do better is madness.

McCinnes would be perfect but sadly won’t leave dons., I’d look abroad as well to see if there is anyone who may fit it. It’s like my boss at work saying you’ve failed to reach your target again but we can’t sack you because I don’t think anyone else is out there!
    Hahahaha, you used the exact opposite argument when Stubbs failed to reach his targets.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Hahahaha, you used the exact opposite argument when Stubbs failed to reach his targets.
    Whether it's contradictory with his previous argument or otherwise is irrelevant, he's correct.

The 'who else is out there' argument is a nonsense. It's suggestive that in all of world football there isn't one manager who could be identified that could do a better job that Gordon Strachan.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Whether it's contradictory with his previous argument or otherwise is irrelevant, he's correct.

The 'who else is out there' argument is a nonsense. It's suggestive that in all of world football there isn't one manager who could be identified that could do a better job that Gordon Strachan.
    I actually agree, you should never think you cant replace a manager just because we the fans cant think of a replacement.

Its never up to us, its up to those who are running the show.

Its just madness though, that he can come out with such a contradictory statement, although we all know why dont we.

At international level, does it matter if the manager hasn't played at the highest level? Would the top players respect someone who was no more than a journeyman?

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Without banging on too much about Iceland and Ireland, its clear that these teams have a system that plays to their relative strengths and - tactical nuances for specific matches aside - dont really deviate.

I think that whoever the Scotland manager is needs to decide - perhaps along with the SFA - what type of football and what type of team we want to be, and then build around it for the next couple of tournaments.

Strachan started out thinking that LG was poor, then he turned into his saviour. That sort of confusion doesnt work - and regardless of the draw v England, we need to accept that in the WC qualifying matches we are playing for 2nd - and plan accordingly. After the draw with Lith and the loss to Slovenia, we were always on the back foot.

While I dont think Strachan is the man, whoever gets the gig needs a strategic plan and the players buying into it over 2-3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    At international level, does it matter if the manager hasn't played at the highest level? Would the top players respect someone who was no more than a journeyman?
    The top players would. They are top players because they understand respect, and the fact that you stand a better chance of success by co-operating than by acting up.

The "nearly men", the ones who only play when they fancy it, the temperamentals - they'd have a problem I'm sure.

What’s actually wrong with you? Do you stalk my posts? Told you before get me on ignore your creeping me out. 😂

What’s actually wrong with you? Do you stalk my posts? Told you before get me on ignore your creeping me out. 😂
    Nowt wrong with me, you obviously just want to post anything you like without anyone picking out the contradictions?

I actually agree, you should never think you cant replace a manager just because we the fans cant think of a replacement.

Its never up to us, its up to those who are running the show.

Its just madness though, that he can come out with such a contradictory statement, although we all know why dont we.
    ‘we all know why?’

What are you on about? Honestly you are coming across very bitter and jumping on any post now. It’s boring slightly funny and weird but I think you need to get out more.

‘we all know why?’

What are you on about? Honestly you are coming across very bitter and jumping on any post now. It’s boring slightly funny and weird but I think you need to get out more.
    You clearly don't like Strachan, your insults over the months and years have shown that. You dont like him, fine, you want him out.

When someone does exactly the same, but you like him, keep him in as who else could do the job?

Maybe a messageboard is not the place for you if you dont want what you post questioned?

You clearly don't like Strachan, your insults over the months and years have shown that. You dont like him, fine, you want him out.

When someone does exactly the same, but you like him, keep him in as who else could do the job?

Maybe a messageboard is not the place for you if you dont want what you post questioned?
    Used to like him, then he turned into a smart arse and we all know no one likes a smart arse.

Do I think we could do better I’d like to think so! Message board is fine it’s your tone of being wide on every single post that’s made me laugh. I genuinely can’t rememer saying Stubbs was the only man for Hibs, but I’m sure if you dig back you’ll find it for me 😁👍🏼

Used to like him, then he turned into a smart arse and we all know no one likes a smart arse.

Do I think we could do better I’d like to think so! Message board is fine it’s your tone of being wide on every single post that’s made me laugh. I genuinely can’t rememer saying Stubbs was the only man for Hibs, but I’m sure if you dig back you’ll find it for me 😁👍🏼
    A message board is all about opinions, yet when Stubbs failed to even finish above Falkirk you wouldnt even hear anyone say he'd failed in his objectives.

Strachan failed, see i can say that, and if he goes then i can see why.

A message board is all about opinions, yet when Stubbs failed to even finish above Falkirk you wouldnt even hear anyone say he'd failed in his objectives.

No that’s incorrect, folk were throwing anything at him without taking in the cup runs, players injured or missing and the run of games we had at the end of that season.

If he’d simply had a mare I could understand it but it was far from that. I’ve no idea if he’d get us up if he stayed on I’d think he would but we’ll never know. I’m delighted we have Lennon though always have been.

Strachan is finished at Scotland, and I’m looking forward to trying to qualify with a manager who picks the right players from the start not just his pals.

No that’s incorrect, folk were throwing anything at him without taking in the cup runs, players injured or missing and the run of games we had at the end of that season.

If he’d simply had a mare I could understand it but it was far from that. I’ve no idea if he’d get us up if he stayed on I’d think he would but we’ll never know. I’m delighted we have Lennon though always have been.

Strachan is finished at Scotland, and I’m looking forward to trying to qualify with a manager who picks the right players from the start not just his pals.
    So he just picked his pals, and of course Brown and Armstrong our first pick midfield being injured was just tough.

Strachans team drew with Lithuania at home, Stubbs team lost to Dumbarton and Alloa, was that bad luck or wrong team selections or Stubbs picking his pals?

No idea what Lennon has to do with this, but hey ho i am happy with him too.

Left by mutual consent!

Did Stubbs not deliver the Scottish Cup a couple of weeks after finishing behind Falkirk? My objective for Hibs year in year out was to hope and pray each season we won the Scottish Cup, everything else could gtf if that happened, and it did. Strachan has delievered heehaw apart from a giant kick in the Staines at the start and end of the campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    Did Stubbs not deliver the Scottish Cup a couple of weeks after finishing behind Falkirk? My objective for Hibs year in year out was to hope and pray each season we won the Scottish Cup, everything else could gtf if that happened, and it did. Strachan has delievered heehaw apart from a giant kick in the Staines at the start and end of the campaign.

The cup win overshadowed the mess that was the league campaign, finishing behind Falkirk was a disgrace and as far as I'm aware Stubbs was leaving no matter what happened in that cup final. He had too many flaws over his 2 year tenure and couldn't beat the wee teams enough, which was his downfall, legend for the cup win but a failure when it comes to the league.

Strachan has kept faith with too many over the hill players during his management, he should've started afresh after the last campaign and had a core of young good talent as the spine of the team, the fact that McGinn and McGregor sat on the bench on sunday proves he hasn't got a clue any more, the two of them were the best players on the park in the recent league game, yet he went with Fletcher and Bannan, enough said.

Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    Yes he did, the best day of my life bar none.

Cant for the life of me see what that has to do with him failing in the league which is what Strachan and Stubs have done? Strachan is not given the lifeline of any other cups he could win to give him the same get out clause.

Did Bertie Vogts winning the Kirin cup make him more of a success?

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    The cup win overshadowed the mess that was the league campaign, finishing behind Falkirk was a disgrace and as far as I'm aware Stubbs was leaving no matter what happened in that cup final. He had too many flaws over his 2 year tenure and couldn't beat the wee teams enough, which was his downfall, legend for the cup win but a failure when it comes to the league.

Strachan has kept faith with too many over the hill players during his management, he should've started afresh after the last campaign and had a core of young good talent as the spine of the team, the fact that McGinn and McGregor sat on the bench on sunday proves he hasn't got a clue any more, the two of them were the best players on the park in the recent league game, yet he went with Fletcher and Bannan, enough said.
    That proved nothing, all it says is you would have liked others in place of the players he chose. Who's to say those players would have done any better?

FWIW i'd have brought on McGregor in the 2nd half, although he did bring on Snodgrass who scored. If plukey was not such a pussy, we'd have got through, he was rooted to his line when a header from 4 yards out beat him.

I cant believe how easily he's getting away with this, maybe Strachan should have had McGregor in goals instead.

Ah i get it now, let the fans pick the team.

Yes he did, the best day of my life bar none.

Cant for the life of me see what that has to do with him failing in the league which is what Strachan and Stubs have done? Strachan is not given the lifeline of any other cups he could win to give him the same get out clause.

Did Bertie Vogts winning the Kirin cup make him more of a success?

That proved nothing, all it says is you would have liked others in place of the players he chose. Who's to say those players would have done any better?

FWIW i'd have brought on McGregor in the 2nd half, although he did bring on Snodgrass who scored. If plukey was not such a pussy, we'd have got through, he was rooted to his line when a header from 4 yards out beat him.

I cant believe how easily he's getting away with this, maybe Strachan should have had McGregor in goals instead.

Ah i get it now, let the fans pick the team.
    You can blame Gordon all you want, Fletcher gave away the foul and Fletcher didn't Mark his man in the box, it was schoolboy defending from the lot of them, Strachan played for a narrow win instead of going for it with better players.

You can blame Gordon all you want, Fletcher gave away the foul and Fletcher didn't Mark his man in the box, it was schoolboy defending from the lot of them, Strachan played for a narrow win instead of going for it with better players.
    Better players in your opinion JC, i have no idea if Strachan played for a narrow win, although it appears if he'd only played McGregor and McGinn we'd have won easily and be in the play offs.

Now i know all this, of course Strachan should go.

This. It was ***** defending and lack of basic marking that cost us against Slovenia.
    Added to that were Strachan's basic tactics going wrong in the second half where it was apparent our midfield was struggling to cope with Phillips a passenger and Bannen offering little movement. With two in form midfielders in McGregor and McGinn (both of whom offer pace, technique and physicality) sitting on the bench this was all the more galling.

Our management of games should be scrutinised. Armstrong's failure to heave the ball into the stand and Berra and Mulgrew's keystone cops defending in the last minute of the England game that allowed the cross to come in for Kane to equalise and that wasn't Craig Gordon's fault.

As for the Lithuania home game.....

Fletcher lost his man his fault clear as day. But Gordon should also do better and must start commanding his area but that won’t happen because it’s always been his problem. Sad because he has the ability but just hasn’t the bottle!

Quote Originally Posted by AndyM_1875 View Post
    This. It was ***** defending and lack of basic marking that cost us against Slovenia.
    Added to that were Strachan's basic tactics going wrong in the second half where it was apparent our midfield was struggling to cope with Phillips a passenger and Bannen offering little movement. With two in form midfielders in McGregor and McGinn (both of whom offer pace, technique and physicality) sitting on the bench this was all the more galling.

Our management of games should be scrutinised. Armstrong's failure to heave the ball into the stand and Berra and Mulgrew's keystone cops defending in the last minute of the England game that allowed the cross to come in for Kane to equalise and that wasn't Craig Gordon's fault.

As for the Lithuania home game.....
    Good post,

He should have at least brought on McGinn or McGregor that’s for sure. Both in form and would at least offered something going forward. All ifs and buts now though. Total clean out needed now including Strachan who thankfully think will go.

I was happy for him to stay, but that genetics comment is just stupid. I still don't know who else we could realistically get that's better though.