hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Marciano or Laidlaw?

Who would you start on Saturday?

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Marciano.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member andy1875's Avatar
    Laidlaws place to lose after coming in and doing well.

He should keep his place and deservably so.
    Last edited by andy1875; 12-10-2017 at 09:06 AM.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    You cant drop Laidlaw as he has not done anything wrong. Rocky has to be patient and take his chance when it next comes around.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee87 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You cant drop Laidlaw as he has not done anything wrong. Rocky has to be patient and take his chance when it next comes around.
    That's fine if Rocky was dropped in the first place for making mistakes. I don't think he was - he made one but ordinarily that would not have seen him dropped. He was taken out in prep for a game he was missing for religious reasons and so I think we could apply the same argument that Rocky had done nothing to be dropped in the first place.

Play the best team and that includes Rocky as keeper.

Laidlaw.

Good performances and taking a chance should be rewarded otherwise it creates a culture of complacency.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

If you drop Laidlaw it makes a mockery of the "competition for places argument". Never been much of a fan of Laidlaw but he's impressed me since he's came in this season.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Laidlaw
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Quote Originally Posted by GreenArmyyy! View Post
    If you drop Laidlaw it makes a mockery of the "competition for places argument". Never been much of a fan of Laidlaw but he's impressed me since he's came in this season.

Who says Laidlaw was there to give competition, Marciano was signed as number 1 with Laidlaw as number 2 and backup, I expect Marciano to play on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Who says Laidlaw was there to give competition, Marciano was signed as number 1 with Laidlaw as number 2 and backup, I expect Marciano to play on Saturday.
    Laidlaw should start the game but like you, I fully expect Marciano to start.

Laidlaw. Its a pity for Rocky because he wasn't dropped as such, but Laidlaw has performed well since he came in and IMO it would be daft to drop a keeper who is clearly in good form to bring back a keeper who was far from convincing in his last game.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    If that's the case big chap then Laidlaw would be just as well putting in for a transfer this January.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    If that's the case big chap then Laidlaw would be just as well putting in for a transfer this January.
    He signed in the first place knowing he was back up. I think Lennon has been pretty clear on that front.

Different level of course but Romero at Man U also aware and happy to play the role.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    He signed in the first place knowing he was back up. I think Lennon has been pretty clear on that front.

Different level of course but Romero at Man U also aware and happy to play the role.
    No doubt he signed knowing he was back up however when he waits for his chance and his opportunity comes along and he plays well with the team getting good results I don't think it is unreasonable for him to expect to keep his place.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post

Fully understand that, but he has waited patiently for his chance to come along and he has taken that chance and should get to keep his place in the team, Lennon has shown that he will drop whoever he wants with outfield players, and your right, totally different level, I get that situation at Man Utd, but Rocky isn't one of the best goalkeepers in the world at this time, so his place with Hibs should always be under threat from who is the No 2.

You put Rocky straight back in then it gives him the comfort that his form has been good enough this season which it hasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenArmyyy! View Post
    You put Rocky straight back in then it gives him the comfort that his form has been good enough this season which it hasn't.
    Laidlaw

When / if Rocky wins the gloves back he knows he needs to come and deal with cross balls like for Motherwells first goal in the future. Breeds competition and can only be a good thing.

By rights it should stay with Laidlaw. However when Lennon signed Marciano he made it clear this is my number one. Tough call all the same

Would be happy with either, both decent keepers. Yes it would probably be harsh on laidlaw, but not bothered really with who's in net, as long as we win.

Laidlaw didn't just come in and have a fluky blinder - he came in and looked very solid over several games.

He should keep the gloves.

Harsh on Rocky, who didn't deserve to be dropped, but when you miss a game for whatever reason you run the risk of losing your place if the replacement performs well.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Laidlaw didn't just come in and have a fluky blinder - he came in and looked very solid over several games.

He should keep the gloves.

Harsh on Rocky, who didn't deserve to be dropped, but when you miss a game for whatever reason you run the risk of losing your place if the replacement performs well.
    As the manager you have to put out what you think is the best team to win on the day. At the moment I woukd say that the gk position stays with laidlaw based on his performances and for consistency.

First Team Breakthrough Tollhouse Hibee's Avatar
    I dont think we had a clean sheet till Laidlaw came in?? I have not been at all impressed by Rocky this season I'm afraid.

Laidlaw deserves to keep his place.

Quote Originally Posted by Tollhouse Hibee View Post
    I dont think we had a clean sheet till Laidlaw came in?? I have not been at all impressed by Rocky this season I'm afraid.

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Tollhouse Hibee View Post

Worth noting as well that Hibs have never lost a game that Laidlaw has played in.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Worth noting as well that Hibs have never lost a game that Laidlaw has played in.
    Laidlaw played in the league cup defeat last season to queen of the south

Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post
    True but he's played about 20 league games and is undefeated. Granted they were mostly championship games but he looked comfortable and undaunted at an intimidating venue at Parkhead last week plus his debut v a decent European team in Brondby where he looked totally unphased. I like him a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post
    Sorry I should have said I meant league games.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Laidlaw.

First Team Regular Billy McKirdy's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: N?A Wii Code: N?A
    Laidlaw deserves the gloves

Laidlaw. Keep him in until he's made a couple of mistakes and then Rocky gets his chance. Then back to Laidlaw once Rocky's made a couple of mistakes.