hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hanlon for Scotland

First post, and I'm starting a thread which isnae really about Hibs (perhaps an early LTYF might be on its way)! There seems to be an accepted wisdom amongst the press that central defence is Scotland's weakest area but that there are no unexplored options for Strachan. Is Paul Hanlon invisible? He is quick, two footed, strong, comfortable on the ball and an intelligent footballer. He captained the under 21s at a time when he was very left footed and struggled against physical strikers, and his improvement is testament to his professionalism. Pundits on Radio Scotland were even suggesting moving Tierney to centre half; there seems to be a blind spot in the media where Paul is concerned. I actually think Berra is playing well for Scotland (might just have sealed the LTYF with that comment), but Paul is a better player in my opinion.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    First post, and I'm starting a thread which isnae really about Hibs (perhaps an early LTYF might be on its way)! There seems to be an accepted wisdom amongst the press that central defence is Scotland's weakest area but that there are no unexplored options for Strachan. Is Paul Hanlon invisible? He is quick, two footed, strong, comfortable on the ball and an intelligent footballer. He captained the under 21s at a time when he was very left footed and struggled against physical strikers, and his improvement is testament to his professionalism. Pundits on Radio Scotland were even suggesting moving Tierney to centre half; there seems to be a blind spot in the media where Paul is concerned. I actually think Berra is playing well for Scotland (might just have sealed the LTYF with that comment), but Paul is a better player in my opinion.

I agree. Paul is a quality defender and has the intelligence to play at a higher level. When you consider some of the central defenders who have played earlier in the campaign who weren't playing for their clubs. I think Paul deserved a chance

I think Paul is a better player than Berra, but I've been pleasantly (unpleasantly?) surprised how well Berra has done for Scotland over the past few games.

Hanlon hasn't done himself any favours by staying with Hibs and spending 3 years in the Championship.

He's also had a slightly shaky start to our time back in the top league. I think he's still recovering from his latest injury and looks like he's lost a yard of pace, which he may or may not recover from.

The idea of playing Tierney at CB is mental though - far too wee for that position.

Porteous looks to have the makings of a great CB too though. I'm astonished at how well served Hibs are for CB's, when Scotland seem to be struggling so badly in that position.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    he is just as good as berra but is he really good enough to play against the very best forwards? probably not. good enough for the level he plays at domestically but cant see him playing at the very top

Although he's obviously injured now, McGregor would be a good addition to the Scotland squad in the future imo.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I'd have no issues with Hanlon getting picked for Scotland. He's easily good enough, imho.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by allant1981 View Post
    he is just as good as berra but is he really good enough to play against the very best forwards? probably not. good enough for the level he plays at domestically but cant see him playing at the very top
    Do any of Scotland’s central defenders have that ability though? My view is that PH is a match for any of them 👍
    This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    I think his time will come. Keep playing as he is for us, Berra and Mullgrew getting older, no real other options who look better. After the qualifiers I could see him being played in some friendlies

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Do any of Scotland’s central defenders have that ability though? My view is that PH is a match for any of them 👍
    I agree 100% John. IMO Paul is a far better centre half than either of the 2 who played on Thursday. I'm thrilled we won but those 2 centre backs give me nightmares as did Hanley before them. Hopefully we win tomorrow but unfortunately we won't have the luxury of playing against 10 men tomorrow.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I think Paul is a better player than Berra, but I've been pleasantly (unpleasantly?) surprised how well Berra has done for Scotland over the past few games.

Hanlon hasn't done himself any favours by staying with Hibs and spending 3 years in the Championship.

He's also had a slightly shaky start to our time back in the top league. I think he's still recovering from his latest injury and looks like he's lost a yard of pace, which he may or may not recover from.

The idea of playing Tierney at CB is mental though - far too wee for that position.

Porteous looks to have the makings of a great CB too though. I'm astonished at how well served Hibs are for CB's, when Scotland seem to be struggling so badly in that position.
    I think this is a big reason for him not being looked at, even in the championship winning season we lost a lot of silly avoidable goals against very weak opposition at times!

However, they did look at John McGinn and played him, so maybe he just needs time to get a string of games where our defence is on top and not losing silly goals, to get their full attention!!!!

He will not be the first or the last good player to be omitted from Scotland's set up as he is not with the Glasgow Giants!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    That was my point about PH - not that he's necessarily good enough to play against the world's top strikers but that he is better equipped to do so than the present selections. The fact that he has turned himself into a genuinely two footed CH is massive in my opinion. Strikers may find a weakness somewhere in his game, but they won't be able to push him into his 'wrong'foot!

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    PH wears a green & white sleeved top which is so high-tech that it is invisible to all (non-Hibs) team selectors.
    Unlike the heavily flurecent blue or green & white hooped tops which can be seen hidden away in reserve sides, by selectors from as far away as Moonbase-SFA.

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    PH wears a green & white sleeved top which is so high-tech that it is invisible to all (non-Hibs) team selectors.
    Unlike the heavily flurecent blue or green & white hooped tops which can be seen hidden away in reserve sides, by selectors from as far away as Moonbase-SFA.
    so the same top that john mcginn and steven whittaker wears?

First Team Breakthrough Ralphy C's Avatar
    Every bit as good as the current picks in my opinion but is never considered, probably good for us as he's been overlooked by clubs down south who could pay him more than we could.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Him and McGregor arent quite good enough. They'd do a job if he had a few injuries in that area but they're no improvement on the current pairing.

He's better than the two we currently have starting IMO. Berra and Mulgrew have done pretty well the last few games but Paul deserves a call up and has done for years.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    If Tierney and Robertson weren't a part of the Scotland set up I genuinely would say that Lewis Stevenson would deserve a call up. Staggeringly under-rated outside Hibs. Sublime first touch and does everything he needs to do very, very well.

But Hanlon, aye. Defo.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by allant1981 View Post
    so the same top that john mcginn and steven whittaker wears?
    Didn't see them on the Hampden pitch. Maybe they had their invisible tops on while sitting in the dugout.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    If Tierney and Robertson weren't a part of the Scotland set up I genuinely would say that Lewis Stevenson would deserve a call up. Staggeringly under-rated outside Hibs. Sublime first touch and does everything he needs to do very, very well.

But Hanlon, aye. Defo.

Stevenson is my favourite Hibs player of the last 10 years..I would pick him every week - i have defended him on here many times.....but there is no way he is full international standard..

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Stevenson is my favourite Hibs player of the last 10 years..I would pick him every week - i have defended him on here many times.....but there is no way he is full international standard..
    As I say, Tierney and Robertson are better. But if you're looking for a solid, reliable player I honestly think he's overlooked.

But when the aforementioned two are available there's no chance. If Ian Black can get a cap then Lewie should have one hundred caps

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Does he have any Belgian relatives? Could get himself a place at the world cup at this rate

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    Him and McGregor arent quite good enough. They'd do a job if he had a few injuries in that area but they're no improvement on the current pairing.
    Correct. He's not in the squad because he's not been good enough. If you asked fans across the country not many would say Hanlon should be called up.

He's approaching his peak though and seems to get better every year - maybe he can break into the squad in the next year or so. Performances like the one against Hamilton won't have done him any favours though.

@hibs.net private member
    Hanlon does well for Hibs but is a long way of international football.

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    Didn't see them on the Hampden pitch. Maybe they had their invisible tops on while sitting in the dugout.
    but they were picked for the squad

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Correct. He's not in the squad because he's not been good enough. If you asked fans across the country not many would say Hanlon should be called up.

He's approaching his peak though and seems to get better every year - maybe he can break into the squad in the next year or so. Performances like the one against Hamilton won't have done him any favours though.
    If Strachan judged Hibs players solely on the Hamilton performance, McGinn & Whittaker wouldn't be in the squad either. I'd prefer to think he'd look at how PH performs in bigger games (like at Parkheid last week). However, hopefully he's approaching his peak, as you say, and will get his chance soon.

Left by mutual consent!
    Its the age-old problem for Hanlon - doesn't play for either of the 'Ugly Sisters' !. Might be in with a shout if the likes of the 'Daily Rectum' exclusively report either are interested in him ??.

I don't rate Hanlon that highly. Nor Berra.
    In fact I'd say Scotland have a problem at centre back.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    Hanlon does well for Hibs but is a long way of international football.
    that's my view. Good player - a legend. But not international class, IMO. But then again neither was Ian Black

To me, having grown up watching McQueen, Holton, Miller, McLeish, Hanson and even Aitken, our current crop are very lacking.

You could argue that Hanlon is as good as those that have recently played for Scotland and I can fully understand that view - but I would rather Paul Hanlon concentrates on being very good for Hibs and then, maybe, his time will come.

The future could be very bright for Paul Hanlon at international level, but not right now.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Didn't Paul Hanlon rack up umpteen U-21 caps? Where is all this ***** about him being less than Berra coming from?
    As for Paul Hanlon regressing while staying at Hibs in the Championship for three seasons...... he helped drag us out of it and won a Scottish Cup winners medal at the club he loves while Berra continued under achieving in lower league football. I'd say it's testament to the Paul and his character. Easily good enough.

Left by mutual consent!
    Hanlon would be exposed big time at International football.