hibs.net Messageboard

Testimonial Due

Memories of Old!

Remembering the good old days before all the bile that has now taken over in games V the Yams!

We played games of select teams of both Hibs and Yam players, some at Easter Road some at Tynecastle.

I found this over on Keechback, and it does not half take you back to the days when we would be at Easter Road one week and Tynecastle the next, and just look at the size of the crowds!!!!

1943-8-7 RAF XI 3-2 35000 Tynecastle Park This was a select team including players from Hearts, Hibs, Rangers, Third Lanark etc
    1944-8-5 Aston Villa 3-4 35000 Tynecastle Park
    1945-8-4 Huddersfield Town 4-0 30000 Tynecastle Park
    1946-6-8 Aston Villa 3-3 39861 Easter Road
    1947-8-2 Derby County 4-5 42000 Easter Road
    1948-8-7 Blackpool 1-1 37000 Tynecastle Park

1949-8-6 Wolverhampton Wanderers 2-3 46007 Easter Road
    1950-8-5 Newcastle United 1-1 45000 Tynecastle Park
    1951-8-4 Liverpool 1-2 35000 Easter Road
    1952-8-2 Portsmouth 3-2 32000 Tynecastle Park
    1953-8-1 Wolverhampton Wanderers 3-2 39000 Easter Road
    1954-8-7 Bolton Wanderers 3-2 45000 Tynecastle Park

1955-8-6 Newcastle United 1-1 48600 Easter Road
    1956-8-4 Birmingham City 2-1 34000 Tynecastle Park
    1957-8-3 Preston North End 1-3 40000 Easter Road
    1958-8-2 Liverpool 2-2 25000 Tynecastle Park
    1959-8-1 Newcastle United 4-3 34000 Easter Road
    1960-8-6 Chelsea 5-4 34000 Tynecastle Park
    1961-8-5 Burnley 4-7 14000 Easter Road
    1962-8-4 Burnley 2-4 15000 Tynecastle Park

Can't believe they got 45,000 into Tynecastle, always thought their biggest crowd was a cup game V Rangers 44,000?

Still what we could do if we still got crowds of 40-50,000 every week?
    Last edited by where'stheslope; 11-10-2017 at 09:54 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Was at most of those Edinburgh Select games from '55 onwards. Their record attendance is/was 53,490 against the old Huns in '32. It must've been some crush, but not as bad as the 65,820 we had packed into ER in 1950 and that was before the high terracing was in place.

Left by mutual consent!
    It must have been cheap as to get in they days I'm
    Guessing?

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It must have been cheap as to get in they days I'm
    Guessing?
    1s 6d (7.5p) when I started going.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    1s 6d (7.5p) when I started going.
    In terms of affordability how was it in comparison with today?

Its just not that the culture has changed in supporters attitudes towards each other. In those days there was little or no football on the telly ( if you had a telly ) and being able to see some of these English clubs would have still been reasonably exotic. It would be nice to see these games resurrected one day, but teams schedules in modern times would probably make it very difficult.

Of course the other sticking point would be which of the Gorgie galacticos would you leave out to make way for players from the wee team

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    In terms of affordability how was it in comparison with today?
    It was very affordable then. After adjusting for inflation, it would be £1.10 today.

That was the boy's gate, mind. Full walk up price was 3 bob, or a whopping £2.40 today.

http://www.moneysorter.co.uk/calcula...tml#calculator

First Team Breakthrough
    Possibly got my sepia coloured glasses on but the city rivalry was not so hate filled in these days.
    i believe the introduction of segregation has increased the bitterness. It's always easier sitting/standing amongst thousands of your own supporters hurling abuse and threats at the opposition fenced off 30 yards away.

I remember being at the famous 7-0 New Year win at Tynecastle in 1973. When the 7th goal went in a jambo passed round his bottle of whisky amongst us hibbys and offered his congratulations) but asked us to leave plenty as he was going to get blitzed after the game to erase it from his memory !).

It wouldn't happen now ( I mean the convivial drinking and congrats). I'm ever hopeful of 7-0 being repeated.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by monarch View Post
    Possibly got my sepia coloured glasses on but the city rivalry was not so hate filled in these days.
    i believe the introduction of segregation has increased the bitterness. It's always easier sitting/standing amongst thousands of your own supporters hurling abuse and threats at the opposition fenced off 30 yards away.

I remember being at the famous 7-0 New Year win at Tynecastle in 1973. When the 7th goal went in a jambo passed round his bottle of whisky amongst us hibbys and offered his congratulations) but asked us to leave plenty as he was going to get blitzed after the game to erase it from his memory !).

It wouldn't happen now ( I mean the convivial drinking and congrats). I'm ever hopeful of 7-0 being repeated.
    Couldn't agree more. There's always been trouble on the terraces but for the most part I felt perfectly comfortable watching the game with rival fans.

Fan segregation has been great in some aspects but at the same time even an auld git like me is now less tolerant towards opposing views!
    Last edited by Golden Bear; 11-10-2017 at 11:49 AM.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    It was very affordable then. After adjusting for inflation, it would be £1.10 today.

That was the boy's gate, mind. Full walk up price was 3 bob, or a whopping £2.40 today.

http://www.moneysorter.co.uk/calcula...tml#calculator
    The boys' gate in my day was a magical thing. You walked up to it, and in an instant you were flying right over the top of it, landing on the other side......

And there you were faced with the big ****ing mountain to climb before you could even glimpse the pitch....

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    I remember an Edinburgh select playing Byern Munich at Tynecastle in the early 1970's. Unbelievably the best player on the park was one Gordon Smith by then in his mid 50's but still had it all.

Looking for details on line, all I can find is a similar match played 1985
    http://scottishleague.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2581

Blog Entries
    I was at the Chelsea game in 1960 & remember being mesmerised by Jimmy Greaves, I think he scored all 4 of Chelsea's goals. With JG in one team & the great Joe Baker in the other it was a superb game. Alex Young may also have played & he was also a tremendous player.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    I was at the Chelsea game in 1960 & remember being mesmerised by Jimmy Greaves, I think he scored all 4 of Chelsea's goals. With JG in one team & the great Joe Baker in the other it was a superb game. Alex Young may also have played & he was also a tremendous player.
    Alex Young, the golden vision? I thought he left them for Everton? Before my time, literally....

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Alex Young, the golden vision? I thought he left them for Everton? Before my time, literally....

I think I see what you've done here. You've inferred Young was playing for Chelsea that day. But remember: it was a Hibs/Hearts select Chelsea was playing.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    I lived in Shotley Bridge Co Durham for a year. A lot of Irish and children of Irish parents worked in the nearby Consett steelworks until it shut in 1980. Apparently a bus ran to Easter Road post-war to see the Famous Five! Fans came from far and wide to see a great side.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Left by mutual consent!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reJEtjPw5UU

Was it this that filled the Yams full of bile?

The Greatest Game in History.

0-7

GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by lgnsh_070362 View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reJEtjPw5UU

Was it this that filled the Yams full of bile?

The Greatest Game in History.

0-7

GGTTH
    My dad's theory was that it was indeed the 7-0 game which signalled a change in attitude from the Jambos towards us. He used to say that up to that point, although we were on a great run against them, the matches had largely been tight affairs but they struggled to cope with the utter humiliation that day and the relatively friendly rivalry started to turn thereafter. My first derby was the 1979 quarter final, by which point the drink fuelled, unsegregated pagaring was in full swing...

Seems unthinkable now, standing surrounded by both Hibs and Hearts fans when we were 5-0 up at half time - and no trouble.! I was standing in the Westfield near the front in line with the 18 yard line of the Georgie end watching 5 go in. Magic.!

However, pretty much all British football terraces had just started to show signs of more widespread and organised trouble as the 60's turned into the 70's, regardless of us thrashing them 7 zero.

By the time of the mid 70's, witnessing a bit aggro whether large or small scale had become almost part of a day at the game.

@hibs.net private member proud_and_green's Avatar
    There are so many things different between then and now.

Games were always at 3pm on a Saturday and many people worked on a Saturday morning. Meaning, finish work, a couple of pints then the game. (although I suspect the Edinburgh Select Games were during the week)

It costs more today and people didn't have as much choice as to what to spend their money on although I think folks have more disposable income now than then. We are also less prepared to do the same thing each week and want quite a different and varied experience.

Football was more of a tradition and a tradition that was about fathers and sons, it was truly a national sport.

I think football was held in greater esteem than it is now - the heroes of yesteryear had less to compete with than nowadays where we have so many celebrities most of whom are simply famous for being famous. The ability to eat a meal nowadays will get you fame! So seeing the stars of the day was a bigger thing than now.

People were perhaps more prepared to accept uncomfortable stadia with poor catering and being treated like cattle by police and others. This is now improving and perhaps that has something to do with the improving crowds.

The troubles of the seventies and eighties certainly did not help in encouraging people to go to games and are probably partly responsible for the low turnouts in the 80s and 90s. Whilst I agree that there is more vitriol now away from games - much of it enabled by the internet - there were some pretty horrible times before. I remember getting on a 26 bus at Roseburn and being one of only four Hibees on the bus when it filled up with that lot at Haymarket, we were spat on kicked, punched and someone put their fag out on my face. To be fair they stopped when one Jambo stood up and threatened the lot of them with a shoeing if they didn't leave us alone - I was about 11 at the time and the Jambos were on average around 20! Then when you got into the ground it got worse! Some of it was handbags of course but I remember a dart just missing a pal of mine!
    Last edited by proud_and_green; 12-10-2017 at 01:03 PM.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by proud_and_green View Post
    There are so many things different between then and now.

Games were always at 3pm on a Saturday and many people worked on a Saturday morning. Meaning, finish work, a couple of pints then the game....
    ... and the pubs were closed on saturday afternoons when the match was on.

@hibs.net private member proud_and_green's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    ... and the pubs were closed on saturday afternoons when the match was on.
    Jings that's right I had forgotten and they didn't open again till 5 or 6! By the time I started boozing in the late 70s you could drink almost 24 hours a day in Edinburgh!

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by proud_and_green View Post
    Jings that's right I had forgotten and they didn't open again till 5 or 6! By the time I started boozing in the late 70s you could drink almost 24 hours a day in Edinburgh!

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    They opened at 5 - just after the match.

The Edinburgh Select games were played on the Saturday before the League Cup got underway.One reason for the high attendances was that there had been no football for the best part of four months.

Testimonial Due
    I just remembered the Hibs Casuals in the Gorgie Road end, patrolling from one side of the terrace to the other and the Police never had a clue what to do about it!

Hated when the bottle throwing started, usually at the Wheatfield Entrance over the high wire fence.

Also remembered, Scotsport after the 0-7 game said there was a 7 goal thriller at Tynecastle to which most Jambos who were not at the game thought it was a close encounter, back to work after, they were bealing!!!!