hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone else think he was a yam imposter?
    That's what I was thinking too

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    That's what I was thinking too
    I lived in Portland for several years and from his posts his knowledge of the timbers seemed to me to make him genuine. I am disappointed he hasn't responded yet though
    i woukd have thought that after all the generosity he would have reported straight after on his experience so definitely a mystery

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by houstonhibbee View Post
    I lived in Portland for several years and from his posts his knowledge of the timbers seemed to me to make him genuine. I am disappointed he hasn't responded yet though
    i woukd have thought that after all the generosity he would have reported straight after on his experience so definitely a mystery
    Very suspicious.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by houstonhibbee View Post
    He's on holiday, I'm sure he will provide full and generous feedback when he returns to the states.

@hibs.net private member bawheid's Avatar
    Nobody ever complains when I don’t post for a while. 😭

@hibs.net private member JohnMcM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bawheid View Post
    Nobody ever complains when I don’t post for a while. 😭

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    He's on holiday, I'm sure he will provide full and generous feedback when he returns to the states.
    We have a winner!

Edinburgh was actually just the first stop on a longer tour. As I only had my phone with me, and as this forum is a disaster to use on mobile, I thought I'd wait until I was back safely for an update.

STORY TIME

So I'd spent the day with my fiancée and parents doing some fun touristy things, including a nice view of Easter Road from Calton Hill. We decided on a very early dinner of fish & chips (I know, I know) around 4 pm and bid farewells to the parents, who were leaving early the next morning to continue their tour.

Stop back at the hotel around 5 and my fiancée is absolutely puking her brains out, fully moaning while laying on the floor of the bathroom. Excellent fish & chips indeed. Like a good fiancé I'm there to hold her hair back, get her water, etc. Also like a good fiancé I stayed as long as I could while judging if Hibs Hearts was really worth abandoning my one true love to the toilet alone... I ultimately decided it was, with her woozy blessing, after some deliberation :)

I hopped in a cab just before kickoff, stepped out right to my gate, scanned my ticket... and heard quite the roar. Yes, Murray had been waiting for my (sadly completely sober at this point) arrival at Easter Road to open the scoring.

Finally made my way to my seat, did my best job at chanting HIbees HIbees, contained my laughter at some extremely colorful language sent the ref's way, and even took a photo at the half. I was definitely impressed with the physicality and the energy, it was an amazing time.

Thank you all (especially Jonny!) for welcoming me into your family, even if for a short time. Here is that photo, complete with a Timbers Army scarf that no one wanted to trade for

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stuart-farquhar View Post
    Mmmmmm. Certainly a bit odd.
    Coming from the author of the "Spouse behaviour. Opinions Wanted" thread in the dug-out that's quite a statement

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deepteeth View Post
    We have a winner!

Edinburgh was actually just the first stop on a longer tour. As I only had my phone with me, and as this forum is a disaster to use on mobile, I thought I'd wait until I was back safely for an update.

STORY TIME

So I'd spent the day with my fiancée and parents doing some fun touristy things, including a nice view of Easter Road from Calton Hill. We decided on a very early dinner of fish & chips (I know, I know) around 4 pm and bid farewells to the parents, who were leaving early the next morning to continue their tour.

Stop back at the hotel around 5 and my fiancée is absolutely puking her brains out, fully moaning while laying on the floor of the bathroom. Excellent fish & chips indeed. Like a good fiancé I'm there to hold her hair back, get her water, etc. Also like a good fiancé I stayed as long as I could while judging if Hibs Hearts was really worth abandoning my one true love to the toilet alone... I ultimately decided it was, with her woozy blessing, after some deliberation :)

I hopped in a cab just before kickoff, stepped out right to my gate, scanned my ticket... and heard quite the roar. Yes, Murray had been waiting for my (sadly completely sober at this point) arrival at Easter Road to open the scoring.

Finally made my way to my seat, did my best job at chanting HIbees HIbees, contained my laughter at some extremely colorful language sent the ref's way, and even took a photo at the half. I was definitely impressed with the physicality and the energy, it was an amazing time.

Thank you all (especially Jonny!) for welcoming me into your family, even if for a short time. Here is that photo, complete with a Timbers Army scarf that no one wanted to trade for

Thanks for that. I'm relieved.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member Callum7's Avatar
    H
    We have a winner!

STORY TIME

Glad you enjoyed your time here. You also missed the display.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Thanks for that. I'm relieved.
    Trust in strangers on the internet never hurt anyone! Wait...

Quote Originally Posted by Callum7 View Post
    H

Glad you enjoyed your time here. You also missed the display.
    Very cool. Here is one from the Timbers game last night (in which they embarrassingly exited the playoffs)

https://twitter.com/shawnlevy/status/927426297801801728

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Trust in strangers on the internet never hurt anyone! Wait...
    Ha ha.

Have you read the Irvine Jambo thread and the links provided.

It's worth the time investment. Mind-blowing.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Very cool. Here is one from the Timbers game last night (in which they embarrassingly exited the playoffs)

https://twitter.com/shawnlevy/status/927426297801801728
    Lewis & Clark searching for a decent game in a barren desert of gridiron.

@hibs.net private member California-Hibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BringTheCairds
    We have a winner!

STORY TIME

Can’t believe you missed the pre match display and all the craziness during the only game goal! Glad you had a good time though

Could do with us having the private investor who is putting $50m into your team's stadium - if the name Romanov comes up run a mile :) and a waiting ;ist of 13,000 for season tickets (impressive) for a popukation of 640,000.

https://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2017/04/26/portland-timbers-providence-park-stadium-renovation

One of MLS's most raucous atmospheres is getting an upgrade.

The Portland Timbers announced Wednesday that the club is adding 4,000 seats to Providence Park as part of a privately funded $50 million renovation. The additions should be complete in time for the 2019 or 2020 seasons, with renovations taking place during two future off-seasons, according to the club's announcement.
    The Timbers shouldn't have a problem filling the new seats, given that they have a waitlist of over 13,000 for season tickets, according to SI's Grant Wahl. The club has sold out every regular season and playoff match at home since joining MLS in 2011.

Good times ahead for your club eh!
    Last edited by andybev1; 07-11-2017 at 02:53 AM.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by andybev1 View Post
    Could do with us having the private investor who is putting $50m into your team's stadium - if the name Romanov comes up run a mile :) and a waiting ;ist of 13,000 for season tickets (impressive) for a popukation of 640,000.

https://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2017/04/26/portland-timbers-providence-park-stadium-renovation

The Portland Timbers announced Wednesday that the club is adding 4,000 seats to Providence Park as part of a privately funded $50 million renovation. The additions should be complete in time for the 2019 or 2020 seasons, with renovations taking place during two future off-seasons, according to the club's announcement.
    The Timbers shouldn't have a problem filling the new seats, given that they have a waitlist of over 13,000 for season tickets, according to SI's Grant Wahl. The club has sold out every regular season and playoff match at home since joining MLS in 2011.

Yeah, Americans seem to buy into things a lot easier than fans in the UK. It’s mind blowing at times though, the amount they spend on tickets for what has to be said, not the greatest quality, truly would have a lot of you stunned. I do reports for a team called Sacramento Republic is the ‘USL’ division, which is bellow MLS (don’t don’t do promotion/relegation in the States which is dumb). Anyway, the standard of USL for example is a very hard watch, I genuinely think some Scottish League 2 sides would give them a run. Anyway, they charge $40 for entry! That’s 30 pounds. You imagine we were charged 30 pound every week for a Hibs game! There would be riots! They pay it though without a care.

I go along sometimes for Sacramento Kings (NBA basketball) games and those prices are even crazier, ranging up to the thousands! And that’s even for pre season games. Regular lower prices are around $50 and that’s for high up view seats.

San Jose, which is an MLS team, charge $45 for their cheapest tickets (35 pounds) and every time I’ve went, the quality from both home team and away opposition is quality that should be demanding no where near the price! But guess what.....the Americans pay it! I’ve never understood it. Maybe because the whole MLS scene is still fairly new and when they get far more established things may change and crows may fall? Who knows

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by California-Hibs View Post
    Yeah, Americans seem to buy into things a lot easier than fans in the UK. It’s mind blowing at times though, the amount they spend on tickets for what has to be said, not the greatest quality, truly would have a lot of you stunned. I do reports for a team called Sacramento Republic is the ‘USL’ division, which is bellow MLS (don’t don’t do promotion/relegation in the States which is dumb). Anyway, the standard of USL for example is a very hard watch, I genuinely think some Scottish League 2 sides would give them a run. Anyway, they charge $40 for entry! That’s 30 pounds. You imagine we were charged 30 pound every week for a Hibs game! There would be riots! They pay it though without a care.

I go along sometimes for Sacramento Kings (NBA basketball) games and those prices are even crazier, ranging up to the thousands! And that’s even for pre season games. Regular lower prices are around $50 and that’s for high up view seats.

San Jose, which is an MLS team, charge $45 for their cheapest tickets (35 pounds) and every time I’ve went, the quality from both home team and away opposition is quality that should be demanding no where near the price! But guess what.....the Americans pay it! I’ve never understood it. Maybe because the whole MLS scene is still fairly new and when they get far more established things may change and crows may fall? Who knows
    I am not sure the quality is that bad, even with a lot of local lads in the teams. MLS does not permit fouling or kicking and hacking from the back so you see a game with the ball a lot more passed about. I have been to at least 80 MLS games and find them entertaining but it sure helps to be able to sit in the stadium and watch with a few beers. I have not been to the Avaya stadium to see the Earthquakes which I think must be way better than the booze restricted Stanford stadium where I saw them once.

The Kings vs Clippers tickets for 26th Dec are gone to barman in the StubHub Champions Lounge who is a Kings fan but I might have an extra Lakers vs Kings ticket for Tuesday Jan 9th.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLake View Post
    I am not sure the quality is that bad, even with a lot of local lads in the teams. MLS does not permit fouling or kicking and hacking from the back so you see a game with the ball a lot more passed about. I have been to at least 80 MLS games and find them entertaining but it sure helps to be able to sit in the stadium and watch with a few beers. I have not been to the Avaya stadium to see the Earthquakes which I think must be way better than the booze restricted Stanford stadium where I saw them once.

The Kings vs Clippers tickets for 26th Dec are gone to barman in the StubHub Champions Lounge who is a Kings fan but I might have an extra Lakers vs Kings ticket for Tuesday Jan 9th.

I shouldn’t say the MLS standard is terrible, I just think in relation to the ticket prices it is. I genuinely believe our SPL has a better standard of game and at a much lower cost (but as we know, we still believe it should be even lower).

I definitely agree with how nice it is though being able to have a beer inside the stadium, definitely adds to a more enjoyable experience and would maybe put a few more bums on seats back home if we could do this. UK fans vs American fans are completely different though. With it being not quite as intense over here in the States when your team loses/things aren’t going your way and fans generally mixing, stack that against what things are like in a UK football match and a loss can ruin a weekend/poor decision cause a mouthful of over the top rebel’s and blood levels going dangerously high etc. Beer aside I’d never give up what we have for the game back home vs how it is here. Very happy clappy, chatty while not really watching the game much etc. in my experience observing people at games anyway.

Sacramento Republic just had a very poor season in relation to previous years. Home loss after home loss. Booing at the end? Nope. Frustration in the slightest from the stands? Nope. Criticism is like it’s not allowed. I’ve done it on their Facebook page and been shot down. It’s more of a social gathering here and very relaxed. Which don’t get me wrong, might appeal to lots, but not me. Give me a Scottish football match for passion and a bit better quality, any day of the week.

Envious of the beer though.

I’ll let you know about the 9th. Appreciate that.

Gamer IDs

Incase you haven’t saw it yet Deepteeth 👌

Incase you haven’t saw it yet Deepteeth 👌

In my humble opinion Hibs would win the MLS cup.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    I hope those who had suspicions our American friend mightn't be on the level will be big enough to apologise.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by stuart-farquhar View Post
    In my humble opinion Hibs would win the MLS cup.
    Of course we would. The interesting thing over here is a lot of people think that the players are on incredibley high wages but they’re really not, a lot of them are on lower cash than SPL players!

You have your Pirlo’s, David Villa’s etc who are of course in a very pretty penny but then amongst them you have guys on very low pay. Hence the quality not being quite so great. When I saw a list of what players are on over here (they post this information) I was very surprised. I am shocked that there isn’t (or maybe there is) serious animosity amongst the average joes in many of the teams and what they’re on compared to a few teams who have got the top stars (Lampard and Gerard when they were here etc)

Not sure how many remember this but we had a guy on trail a few seasons back called ‘Jack Mcbean’ from MLS side LA Galaxy. He was deemed not good enough by Stubbs (for the Scottish Championship mind) and was sent back to LA. Last season he played 20 games scoring 2 and was absolutely garbage, yet a fairly regular starter. He’s on $1.4k a week which translates to just 1k British pounds. Gerard was on...... 145k a week!

@hibs.net private member surreyhibbie's Avatar
    Of course we would. The interesting thing over here is a lot of people think that the players are on incredibley high wages but they’re really not, a lot of them are on lower cash than SPL players!

You have your Pirlo’s, David Villa’s etc who are of course in a very pretty penny but then amongst them you have guys on very low pay. Hence the quality not being quite so great. When I saw a list of what players are on over here (they post this information) I was very surprised. I am shocked that there isn’t (or maybe there is) serious animosity amongst the average joes in many of the teams and what they’re on compared to a few teams who have got the top stars (Lampard and Gerard when they were here etc)

Not sure how many remember this but we had a guy on trail a few seasons back called ‘Jack Mcbean’ from MLS side LA Galaxy. He was deemed not good enough by Stubbs (for the Scottish Championship mind) and was sent back to LA. Last season he played 20 games scoring 2 and was absolutely garbage, yet a fairly regular starter. He’s on $1.4k a week which translates to just 1k British pounds. Gerard was on...... 145k a week!
    I was chatting to a barman in New York last week about this, he pointed out that Pirlo was on about 5 million dollars a year, and some of his team mates had to have second jobs to survive.

Only when they start paying fairer wages to the other players will standards improve, it seems.
    Alcohol IS the answer, but I forget the question...

Quote Originally Posted by surreyhibbie View Post
    I was chatting to a barman in New York last week about this, he pointed out that Pirlo was on about 5 million dollars a year, and some of his team mates had to have second jobs to survive.

Only when they start paying fairer wages to the other players will standards improve, it seems.
    I read not that long ago that one of Beckham's teammates was also his poolboy as he needed the second job to survive.

Did anyone ask deepteeth where he bought his fish and chips ?

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar

His dad is a nice guy so I won't comment.

The Galaxy had a belief that they could replace experienced guys with their crop of youngsters from the second team. They hired the manager of the second team as a replacement for Bruce Arena and he was picking his own lads he had developed. It was a disaster.

It will be interesting to see who they sign next year considering LAFC will enter the fray as the second Los Angeles MLS franchise. LAFC will want to knock the Galaxy off their perch. I have season tickets for both stadiums and will enjoy watching the derby games as a neutral wearing my Hibs top.

LA Galaxy have some of the cheapest season ticket prices I have seen.

STM-Pricing-Chart_V2.jpg

Blog Entries
    I enjoy threads like this & I'm glad our friend from the USA was courteous enough to provide us with a fine & detailed account of his visit. Haste Ye Back!

Mad prices for a sport that is not on the map re. national sports.

So who pockets the money if it does not go into players wages, by and large. Is there shareholders profits to be paid or does the money go into the club infrastructure?
    Last edited by andybev1; 07-11-2017 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by andybev1 View Post

Yes indeed! I am on said season ticket holder waitlist, and will probably be for at least the next five years, even after the expansion. It does get you first crack at individual tickets, so there's something. I'm actually pretty happy it's privately funded, the USA has some real problems with sports (*cough*NFL*cough*) dumping stadium bill on local governments while they pocket the insane profits.

Not going to reply to everyone, though I certainly have lots to say about each facet of MLS. One thing on pricing: $30-40 is absolutely on the low end for a sporting event here. NFL tickets are the absolute worst—easily can cost $150-200 for seats in the nosebleeds. I think that's the main factor in the pricing.

It's not just a lack of pro-rel that is stifling competition in MLS, it's also the "Single Entity" structure and lack of player free agency that really hurt us. For an ostensibly capitalist country, we have so many anti-competitive institutions.